***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Those public health officials had to market safety measures because idiots who read 1-2 articles on Babylon bee suddenly know more than folks who have dedicated their lives to studying and treating diseases.

Anything to do with communicating with the public requires some level of marketing when you have factions within the various levels of government undermining their message.

I mean I see your point but really, it’s a trap. Getting COVID19 right on this front assumes we have dealt with COVID19 before….

Those public health officials had to market safety measures because idiots who read 1-2 articles on Babylon bee suddenly know more than folks who have dedicated their lives to studying and treating diseases.

Anything to do with communicating with the public requires some level of marketing when you have factions within the various levels of government undermining their message.

I mean I see your point but really, it’s a trap. Getting COVID19 right on this front assumes we have dealt with COVID19 before….

okay yes but we can agree marketing is not their expertise?
so i don't need to agree with their takes on how to market the vaccine right?

and if they are marketing experts we can agree they are really bad at it.

and what is the point of continuing to market an ineffective safety measure?

if you could get a booster under the table, after 5 months from your original shot when immunity starts to wain.
are you going to not get it becuase, public health official has some thoughts about marketing?

people out chere talking about joe rogan and his high school education vs dr Anthony fauci who actually has a medical degree and has been working with infectious diseases for almost as long as rogan has been alive

you have people who are invested in being contrarians.. and you’re dealing with something extremely complex.. but it’s the smart folks we’re supposed to lose faith in

okay yes but we can agree marketing is not their expertise?
so i don't need to agree with their takes on how to market the vaccine right?

and if they are marketing experts we can agree they are really bad at it.

and what is the point of continuing to market an ineffective safety measure?

if you could get a booster under the table, after 5 months from your original shot when immunity starts to wain.
are you going to not get it becuase, public health official has some thoughts about marketing?

I'm starting to think you just don't like listening to anyone.

I have followed the instructions of all health officials to a tee as well as my close associates since the pandemic began. No one has contracted COVID as of yet, and me personally I haven't gotten sick period in over 2 years.

Even when this is over I'm keeping the masks. People nasty.

survivor ship bias.

1638367925736.png

just because you survived doesn't mean their advice was always accurate.
if you were washing your hands not wearing a mask, and going to indoor events like they said early in the pandemic
you were at much higher risk of getting covid.

I'm starting to think you just don't like listening to anyone.

i listened to them early in the pandemic, and im very annoyed that i did.

i told people ah you don't need masks they say they don't protect you.
just social distance and wash your hands.

I gave people potentially deadly inaccurate information, that I should have seen through.
because I trusted the "experts"

I definitely don't like doing that.

I have followed the instructions of all health officials to a tee as well as my close associates since the pandemic began. No one has contracted COVID as of yet, and me personally I haven't gotten sick period in over 2 years.

Even when this is over I'm keeping the masks. People nasty.

people really been telling on themselves in this whole thing

I always kept hand sanitizer in my car and office and elesewhere just because I didn’t want to touch someone or money and then touch my face or food or something.. always washed my hands before I ate.. and forcing people not to be right up on you in public settings was/is a blessing

the CDC and WHO were incredibly slow to update their guidance for aerosol spread vs droplets.
this led the them telling us we didn't need masks, and make sure to wash our hands for 20 seconds.

and you still have people spraying down kiosks with disinfectants today.

but nah you gotta "trust" the "experts"

more recently The Biden administration CORRECTLY overruled their scientific advisory committee
and said everyone should get boosters.

when did virologists become marketing and social psychology experts?
but hey i guess i gotta listen to their half baked hot takes about "what message" boosters send to the public,

they are the experts after all.
Let's just say that the way a physicist uses "mass" and "weight" is different from how the general public uses both terms.

The way the general public understands the impact of the new variant on the effectiveness of vaccines is different from how the members of a field of study (virologists/immunologists/etc...) understand it because they use different assumptions and/or conventions to interpret the information. Such conventions and assumptions extend to the language used, and that's the reason why they can't just come out and issue public statements the day after they find something new.

people really been telling on themselves in this whole thing

I always kept hand sanitizer in my car and office and elesewhere just because I didn’t want to touch someone or money and then touch my face or food or something.. always washed my hands before I ate.. and forcing people not to be right up on you in public settings was/is a blessing

That's a fact undergrad and public school taught me people wasn't raised the same. I stopped shaking hands outside of formal interviews years ago.

Closed fist or elbows only.

Idk fam imma continue to wear my seatbelt.

I see where this is headed

I didn't say masks are bad, or don't wear masks.
I wear N95 masks and I imagine ill continue to do so for a while.

I said, if you have available and effective anti viral pills and effective vaccines,
should the government continue to mandate masks in public spaces.

when most people wear low quality cloth masks.
many people don't even cover there noses.

is the juice worth the squeeze when you have vaccines and anti viral pills. id say prob not.
I will continue to wear masks, but the question is about government mandates.

The other thing is that, as the WHO and the CDC issued initial statements on how to handle the pandemic, research was still going on in the background, so it could very well be that as they prepared to update the public on what to do, they could have already had indications that some of the recommendations they were going to give were not gonna be valid.

This is to be expected in emergency situations, and there are only two ways to deal with it: you keep people in the dark until you get more results (good luck, as China was literally barricading folks they suspected to be infected with the whole world watching), or reassure the public with updates on the situation and guidance on how to deal with it, which they did to the best of their ability (and with a president actively undermining their work in the case of the CDC).

Let's just say that the way a physicist uses "mass" and "weight" is different from how the general public uses both terms.

The way the general public understands the impact of the new variant on the effectiveness of vaccines is different from how the members of a field of study (virologists/immunologists/etc...) understand it because they use different assumptions and/or conventions to interpret the information. Such conventions and assumptions extend to the language used, and that's the reason why they can't just come out and issue public statements the day after they find something new.

okay that's fine, but if the Biden administration looks at the evidence you provide them and decided to approve boosters.

don't go out in public and say he's wrong and undermine his decision making.
the administration was elected to weigh costs and benefits, the experts should provide data.

not hot takes.

again lets say in 5 months when the immunity from your first vaccination starts to wain,
but according to the cdc you are not eligible?

do you want a booster? or will you trust the experts?

my aunt is elderly, has an auto immune disease and is 5 months from her last shot,
should I take her across the boarder and get a booster or should I trust the Canadian experts?

I really would like an answer from the trust the experts crowd.

my aunt has an autoimmune disease, she's older, but not yet eligible for Canadian booster.
I could take her across the boarder and probably finesse a booster shot from a Walgreens.

or I should stay home trust the experts, and roll the dice on omicron.
never mind the fact that she has to go back to Nigeria to attend to business.

I think it's pretty obvious she should go get a booster,
but im not an "expert".

which experts should I listen to?

okay that's fine, but if the Biden administration looks at the evidence you provide them and decided to approve boosters.

don't go out in public and say he's wrong and undermine his decision making.
the administration was elected to weigh costs and benefits, the experts should provide data.

not hot takes.

again lets say in 5 months when the immunity from your first vaccination starts to wain,
but according to the cdc you are not eligible?

do you want a booster? or will you trust the experts?

my aunt is elderly, has an auto immune disease and is 5 months from her last shot,
should I take her across the boarder and get a booster or should I trust the Canadian experts?
If this
Sánchez (committee member) said he was concerned offering booster shots so broadly at this point would send the wrong message about how well the Covid vaccines are working.
“This is like saying the vaccine isn’t working. And it is working.”

is what you call a hot take, then I'm sorry, but that is a perfectly reasonable statement to make; it actually shows that Sanchez is not tone-deaf.

Statements that acknowledge how the public perceive new directives should help the administration craft a better message about getting vaccinated, which would recognize their reservations and reassure them that the vaccines and boosters are safe.

Back
Top Bottom