***Official Political Discussion Thread***

IMG_5629.jpeg

• Nick Schifrin:

Your critics say that lifting the global terrorist organization label on the Houthis before they had to make any concessions means you have lost a chance for leverage to try and get them back to the negotiating table.
    Do you believe that you have lost some leverage by lifting that global terrorist organization label?
  • Tim Lenderking:

I don't, in the end, think so.
    I think there was a decision, a realization by the new administration that the FTO designation was really a mixed bag, that, on the one hand, it memorialized certain activities of the Houthis that were terrorist in nature, their attacks on civilian infrastructure, their kidnapping of U.S. citizens, their close relationship with the IRGC.
    But the new administration asked, well, what does that give us in terms of benefit to the political process and benefit to other aspects of Yemen? And there was a quick realization that it's a net negative on the humanitarian space, and that, if we're going to make improvements in the humanitarian sphere, bearing in mind that Yemen is the world's greatest humanitarian disaster at this moment, we can't stress that system any further.
    So, that is, I think, a key factor in why the administration decided to undo this designation.
    It doesn't remove every sanction some of the Houthi leaders. Some of those remain from several years ago. So it's not a free pass at all.

Sooo the Biden administration lifted the terrorist designation imposed on Houthis by the Trump administration so that humanitarian aid could be provided to the Yemeni population, only to be ignored 3 years later when they asked them to stop targeting commercial ships with drones, missiles, and hostage taking operations. And you're trying to pull the "civil rights movement" card? 😂 Even the UN is asking them to stop their attacks.

I don't know which world you live in, but when you don't have the biggest stick, you don't use fighting as your first conflict resolution option.

There’s many meanings for “liberals” though.

Do you mean in the way that it’s used outside North America, where it’s roughly equivalent to what we’d call “libertarian”? In that case, it’d be kinda true; because in the abstract, libertarians are anti war “war is the health of the state” and all that, but a lot of libertarians in the global north often make exceptions because hey “my startups need cheap lithium to reach profitability (or more likely to attract investors to get to the next round of funding). So yeah, that statement could be true.

Do you mean Liberalism which is anything that filled the social gaps left by the decline of feudalism and absolute monarchy? That definition includes basically everyone (including communists, fascists, and Islamists. It’s basically everyone on earth save for a few Tibetan exiles and 16 year olds named Brayden who post about how we should be restoring the Holy Roman Empire. You can’t draw many broad conclusions from a term that encompasses any ideology with more than a million followers.

I’m guessing you’re saying liberal as in the US context whereby, it’s an ersatz left that has existed since the New Deal and is centered on the New Deal’s coalition minus Dixiecrats and socially conservative. In other words, intellectuals, urban professionals, and highly racialized groups who are reformists to varying degrees, from left-leaning progressives, to Centrist tech guys and a bunch of other subgroups in between.​

Certain subgroups do indeed oppose war, in the abstract, but frequently defend the US and NATO while it is actively at war.

In James Loewen’s “Lies my Teacher Told Me” (it’s like a shorter version of Howard Zinn’s “A People’s History of the United States”), Loewen points out that in a poll taken BEFORE a major escalation of the Vietnam war, white collar workers opposed the idea of bombing but AFTER the bombing campaign in greater South East Asian started, the same poll was conducted again and now white collar workers were far more likely to support the bombings than blue collar workers.

So there are some people in this country who call themselves liberal or progressive who oppose American militarism in the abstract but are so materially and emotionally invested in the American project that they’ll always find an exception for American military action, at least when a Democrat orders it.

But is that a universal outlook among all liberals in America? Of course not. It can feel that way because that hypocritical worldview is OVER represented in media, especially among opinion columnists in legacy publications. But who typically is an opinion columnist for legacy publications? Rich people who went to fancy colleges and who pursue the contradictory (IMHO) goals of wanting a more just world on the one hand but believing that America and capitalism are either compatible or even necessary to that end. But that’s separate from the question of whether or not ALL liberals support their own countries wars when they happen, and answer is decisively NO.

Based revanchist Chinese nationalist Nikki Haley goes beyond upholding the principles of Xist thought. She has also wants to restore the old Tang Dynasty’s Western Frontiers.

I didn’t think she could top calling mental health a “scourge,” but here we are.

After Germany proposed to enter the ICJ trial as a third party to argue in Israel's defense, the Namibian Presidency published this:

1705243248962.png

Former President Donald J. Trump attacked Vivek Ramaswamy, who is most closely aligned with him in the race for the Republican nomination, accusing the wealthy entrepreneur of engaging in “deceitful campaign tricks.”

"A vote for Vivek is a vote for the ‘other side’ — don’t get duped by this,” Mr. Trump said on social media, adding that “Vivek is not MAGA.”

An hour earlier, a senior adviser for Mr. Trump, Chris LaCivita, also attacked Mr. Ramaswamy on social media as a “fraud” in response to a photo showing supporters of Mr. Ramaswamy wearing shirts displaying Mr. Trump’s mug shot that said “Save Trump, vote Vivek.”

The attacks from Mr. Trump and one of his top aides in quick succession suggest that the Trump campaign has deliberately shifted toward attacking Mr. Ramaswamy in the final days before Monday’s Iowa caucuses.

1705250845703.png

:rofl:

I really have no idea what the path forward for the GOP if (when!) they lose again in November.

The spread in outcomes after the election looks more significant than 2020…

Back
Top Bottom