***Official Political Discussion Thread***

So, I didn't realize Thursday is the 80th anniversary of D-Day, and it's the last formal reunion of soldiers who fought in the invasion. Found this interesting about how the WWII Museum uses AI to preserve the stories of remaining veterans. About 110,000 are left, and they'll all be gone in ten years except for perhaps a handful. Even then, their minimum age would have to be 106-108 (depending on if someone lied about their age to fight). What's scary is that 10 years after THAT, there won't be many people left who even remember the war in real time.

Mn never had a tax on food or clothes. Paying tax on groceries especially is wild.

Honestly, I've never been able to figure out the grocery tax in Seattle/WA. Some things are taxed, others aren't. And it seems completely arbitrary. We do have the highest liquor tax in the country, and one of the highest sales taxes. But, no income tax. Every legislative session some Dem tries to push legislation implementing a state income tax, but the state constitution doesn't allow it, and the GOP would have to give up the one thing they know they can block so they keep blocking it. The compromise would be eliminating sales tax, like Oregon.

So, I didn't realize Thursday is the 80th anniversary of D-Day, and it's the last formal reunion of soldiers who fought in the invasion. Found this interesting about how the WWII Museum uses AI to preserve the stories of remaining veterans. About 110,000 are left, and they'll all be gone in ten years except for perhaps a handful. Even then, their minimum age would have to be 106-108 (depending on if someone lied about their age to fight). What's scary is that 10 years after THAT, there won't be many people left who even remember the war in real time.

I just finished rewatching band of brothers and put my mom on it since she never watched it.

I still tear up heavily and cry during episode 9 when they go into the German death camp. As someone who lost family in those camps, in the war, to Soviet work camps, it hits hard. Anyone who embraces nazism and fascism is a sick sick individual.

Republicans are headed for a bloodbath in tight congressional races.

The Preisdency could be closer. I don't see anywhere but GA and AZ maybe swinging Trump, but if they run Lake for Senate, they will cost themselves AZ senate and presidency. GA not having senate seats up tilts it to Republicans. But the Democratic Party runs a pretty tight ship in voter turnout that make it a puncher's chance.

The Republican strategy has always been in modern times to scare the **** out of everybody. Law & Order being their biggest push. Biden being able to pivot to you’re a convicted felon my guy and have been a criminal your entire adult life will mitigate some of the doom politics Republicans run.

The GOP royally screwed up on abortion. It was the one consistent thing they could run on, knowing it would never get overturned. When it actually happened, they practically tripped over each other passing draconian legislation (like, some of the most prohibitive in Western culture) and didn't think of the consequences. They handled their literal ONE win on a hot button issue in forever, and fumbled it away immediately.

If this was the Bush-era GOP, I might agree.
Nah, this GOP can do it

Couple points:

-The Dems best result in the Senate is to keep it 50-50 since Manchin's seat is going red. There are no solid pick-up opportunities available to them this cycle.

-Then there might be less swing districts available for pickups than in 2020

-If the Dems underperform by the same margin they did in 2020, then the GOP holds the House. I would give the Dems taking the House as their best chance to win a chamber but it isn't a lock. The generic ballot is pretty much tied at this point.

-Trump is in a great position right now

-The 2024 electorate will be much redder than the 2020.

Not saying it is a lock, but the GOP have a solid shot at the trifecta

Last edited:
If the Republican nominee was someone else, then maybe.
Trump has unique downsides that other members of the GOP don't

But he has unique upsides that give him a great shot be beating Biden

Actually the issues are more with Biden. His numbers young people, Latinos, and black people are relatively bad right now, compared to 2020. They need to improve for him to win. If they don't, then Biden has to hope for a lower turnout election, whose mix favors him.

Talking about people in here

I don’t think we’re that confident in here either

Hell, I have to routinely remind myself of couple aspects to even have faith in this whole thing

Even small things like his rallies not receiving anywhere near the coverage they did in 2016 or 2020.. and even when they did get covered, even fox news is cutting them off for liability fears

But even from now trump’s campaign is seemingly set up statewide, it seemingly to contest everything and make a mess of things on the day of and days after

Definitely not overly confident but Im pretty confident in Biden winning. Like 95% confident. People know what a ****show the trump presidency was, he doesnt have the element of suprise anymore. Many voted for him in 2016 because "he's rich therefore he will know how to run the country" :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom