***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I dunno, I take issue with calling the American electorate stupid for wanting to elect someone who can do the job day and night for four years when they’re staring at someone who can’t.

That’s why this has become the flip side of the maga coin. You have to dumb yourself down to think it’s ok to elect a guy staring into space and being shuffled places by his handlers. This isn’t the local dog catcher race.

What polling shows is even if the president is evil or puts policy in place Americans don’t like, that’s a bar above being competent enough to do those things.
Trump tried to end the concept of elections in 2020. Just off that alone I would be more than comfortable calling parts of the electorate stupid if they don't align with Trump's policies.
If someone leans more towards the conservative end then sure, vote for Trump. If they align more with Democrats' policies and somehow find themselves in doubt despite Trump being the other option, I would use a lot less unfavorable terms than stupid to describe them.

Edit: Just to be clear, I don't think this is unique to Americans or anything. I wouldn't say any different about my country.

I don't think many people genuinely believes Biden is cognitively 'ok', but you also have to take into account with what you're dealing with as the other option.
Trump is lively but throughout his entire political career, he's been yapping absolute nonsense. Often times so beyond stupid that it wouldn't have been an unfair question to ask if Trump had a lobotomy. At the end of the day we still haven't seen anything remotely close to the nonsense coming out of Trump's mouth.

In an ideal world, no politician should be in their 80s running for office in any given country. If it were up to me I'd cut off the age limit at retirement age.

“And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute,” he said at an April 2020 press conference. “And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that, so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me. So, we’ll see, but the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute. That’s pretty powerful.”

Right now Biden has unions backing him, the squad backing him, and black voters backing him.

It looks like Donors and blue dogs are on the other side.

We’re about to have an old school convention huh? Wheeling, Dealing, and a few scandals.

By a 2:1 margin Americans believe Donald Trump can finish a 4-year term. I don’t even know what you’re arguing about. Orange man bad. Yes, we all know. You’re preaching to the choir. Running a campaign is a different issue when the average American sees a stark difference between the two candidates.
My concern isn't about who can finish a 4-year term. We already have an answer for that: chain of succession. The United States will not be in disarray if Biden dies as a president or if he gets 25th'd.

My concern is, how will this country be after four more years of Trump/Biden/their VPs.
I dunno, I take issue with calling the American electorate stupid for wanting to elect someone who can do the job day and night for four years when they’re staring at someone who can’t.
I thought asking Biden to withdraw was based on him not being able to campaign, not his ability to work. There's no question about who (or which administration) will be more competent.

I don't find it out of place to question the sanity of those who would argue otherwise.

“And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute,” he said at an April 2020 press conference. “And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that, so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me. So, we’ll see, but the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute. That’s pretty powerful.”

You realize how removed you have to be from normal people to think any of this sounds smart

You can literally smell and feel how damn strong bleach is

But this dude says dumb shh all the time that demonstrates how much a silver spoon this dude has had his whole damn life

My concern isn't about who can finish a 4-year term. We already have an answer for that: chain of succession. The United States will not be in disarray if Biden dies as a president or if he gets 25th'd.

My concern is, how will this country be after four more years of Trump/Biden/their VPs.

I thought asking Biden to withdraw was based on him not being able to campaign, not his ability to work. There's no question about who (or which administration) will be more competent.

I don't find it out of place to question the sanity of those who would argue otherwise.

Once again, you're preaching to the choir and everyone posting in this thread agrees with you. The American electorate does not agree with you. So what is you recommend we do?

Part of it is appealing to the lowest common denominator but you look at the last couple of two term Democratic presidential candidates, Obama and Clinton. They were both very smart but they're also great at retail politics and engaging with the average person. This is where candidates like Hillary Clinton, John Kerry and Al Gore struggled. Biden was actually pretty good at this when he was younger.

This is why I think someone like Wes Moore would be the ideal Democratic candidate for president in 2028 (frankly he would be a good candidate now). Young, black guy, very active physically, not only is he smart but he is great at retail politics and engaging with people from different walks of life.

I'd vote for Wes easy but he's not ready even in 2028. He's on his way, but he needs another full term as governor at minimum. I always have trouble explaining what it is about Wes. He's a good guy, and his policies are A-1 for the most part. His family is great, he seems like a great person, and there are only minimal issues about his past, connected to him claiming places he wasn't heavy in the game in.

He seems to be great at getting folks together to get a job done. He's wonderful at handling crises. He's outstanding at being frank about pushing democratic policies unabashedly. I love that about him. He's also over the top in press conferences and if you pay attention to him for a while you see he's still trying to find his footing. He hasn't quite figured out what works for him and how to be, in some situations. Crazy part is, his Lieutenant governor is exactly the same way. Just odd. But good people. Obviously I'd vote for either one of them a million times before I'd vote any republican these days, but just a note.

But we only have until November to replace him with someone without dementia setting in. Let’s just prop him up like he’s a king instead.

I wish all the folks from the Dem party and donor class would stop adding to the chaos and instead speak up with what a plan to replace him should look like. Because right now all this looks like is a very public implosion of the Dem party. At this rate any replacement wouldn’t even be able to build off off the fact that Biden and his cabinet have out performed pre pandemic Trump in literally every single way. But we’re not even talking about why ANY DEM would be a better alternative than Trump.

I am all in on Kamala. If Biden does bow out then it has to be her. Passing over the VP especially a black woman would be a mistake. Might as well stick with Biden then.
Agreed, only reasonable path, and then you pick an up and comer VP pick that you increase his/her exposure for future elections regardless of the outcome. Legally I think she could use money raised prior for Biden prior too

That’s not an argument for keeping him, more like an argument it doesn’t matter who runs as long as it has a (D) next to their name.

That is the argument.

And if they were smart they’d be making statements that calm the turbulence around potentially replacing Biden. Like ensuring that the Biden cabinet stays in place, talking about what Biden’s place could look like in a new administration like an advisory roll or even a cabinet position. Owning the success of the admin and talking about how they’re going to continue and improve upon it. Instead we have Biden being the only one speaking to Democrat success in the middle of election season.

If all of this is supposed to work and the Dems want to pull out a win in November with replacing Biden being at the center of it, it doesn’t look like the madness that’s going on now. EVEN if Biden was being defiant. There are ways to have these convos and make public statements without sowing distrust in the Democratic Party.

At some point Dem leaders are going to wake up and Remember that optics and messaging is important and if they take too long to realize that the only narrative they’ll be able to spin is a Biden redemption narrative because it’ll be too late to do anything else.

Last edited:
And if they were smart they’d be making statements that calm the turbulence around potentially replacing Biden. Like ensuring that the Biden cabinet stays in place, talking about what Biden’s place could look like in a new administration like an advisory roll or even a cabinet position.

So..... The Putin/Medvedev switcheroo...

The Medvedev–Putin tandemocracy (Russian: Тандем Медведев—Путин) was the joint leadership of Russia between 2008 and 2012 when Vladimir Putin, who was constitutionally barred from serving a third consecutive term as president of Russia, assumed the role of prime minister under President Dmitry Medvedev. While the office of prime minister is nominally the subservient position, opinion differs as to what extent Putin was the de facto leader during this period, with most opinion being either that Putin remained paramount or that he and Medvedev had similar levels of power. Putin was re-elected president in the 2012 election and Medvedev became his prime minister.

I wish all the folks from the Dem party and donor class would stop adding to the chaos and instead speak up with what a plan to replace him should look like. Because right now all this looks like is a very public implosion of the Dem party. At this rate any replacement wouldn’t even be able to build off off the fact that Biden and his cabinet have out performed pre pandemic Trump in literally every single way. But we’re not even talking about why ANY DEM would be a better alternative than Trump.

Exactly

On top of whatever new whomever has zero choice but to heavily involve Biden and Harris (if it’s not Kamala)

And also has to work off of whatever they got going on the ground, since it would be impossible to start new with only 118 til the election.. talking the practical stuff of having campaign offices and teams already on the ground across the country

And you can’t afford to alienate any of his supporters

And you’ve given into the feeding frenzy, so zero clue why they wouldn’t just fire the machine up again to get clicks/views

Back
Top Bottom