***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I think people get too fired up over peoples opinions regarding politics, especially now where it has boiled over to friendship and relationship choices..

That being said, my girl has changed my mind on certain social issues, I get it if your'e a white male and watching conservative tik tok videos that right to choose might not be your top issue, but it is for a lot of women. and I get that they would choose not to associate with those who don't care enough about their rights to be a single issue voter. And if being friends with you is going to affect my ability to get laid, you are out my republican friend.

It's a bit hypocritical because it's not my top issue either, but It is on my very long list of reasons :lol:

I think his overview of four factions within the Democratic Party are pretty accurate.

I think the majority of posters in this thread belong to the first group. What I don’t get is the thing about protectionism.

Generally, we’re actually fairly libertarian about horizontal economic relationships. Moreover, we often times see market failures being caused by rent seeking, market consolidation, and sparse enforcement of anti-trust laws. Heck, some of us opposed the TikTok ban (whatever the merits or lack of merits this position entails, it’s extremely anti protectionist. We literally want a foreign company to challenge and compete with the tech sector. That’s one of the Crown Jewels of the US Economy). So, by and large, we’re pretty much free traders.

We generally do support subsidies for alternative fuels so that is technically a form of protectionism. But we take this position primarily to find a way to make a lot of electricity with no carbon output. If the solar industry is subsidized by other governments, we’d see that as a net good.

Last edited:
Yeah I’m group 1.

I took a test probably around 2016, not the grid one. But just a series of questions, about 100 in total. 0 was furthest to the right you could go. 100 was the furthest left you could go. I was 98. Not even sure what got me down 2 points.

Out of all Fox hosts, this Jesse Waters guy somehow manages to go above and beyond with a nice variety of bigotry (both implicit and explicit racism), sexism, homophobia, ... etc etc.).
I don't know if he's gotten worse now that he took Tucker's slot or if it's just more visible now.

Instead of pulling out the good old dogwhistle, Jesse will just outright say that "black history shouldn't be taught in schools because it's all activism. There is no history. It's all ideology."
And countless other cases of replacing his dogwhistle with a bullhorn.

Last edited:

I think his overview of four factions within the Democratic Party are pretty accurate.

I think the majority of posters in this thread belong to the first group. What I don’t get is the thing about protectionism.

Generally, we’re actually fairly libertarian about horizontal economic relationships. Moreover, we often times see market failures being caused by rent seeking, market consolidation, and sparse enforcement of anti-trust laws. Heck, some of us opposed the TikTok ban (whatever the merits or lack of merits this position entails, it’s extremely anti protectionist. We literally want a foreign company to challenge and compete with the tech sector. That’s one of the Crown Jewels of the US Economy).

We generally do support subsidies for alternative fuels so that is technically a form of protectionism. But we take this position primarily to find a way to make a lot of electricity with no carbon output. If the solar industry is subsidized by other governments, we’d see that as a net good.

I have a tendency to place American politics within the context of global politics, and because of that, I'd probably be between 1 and 2.

The thing that got me to support the Tiktok ban was the fact that granular knowledge of individual habits can be used to influence the political direction of any country (the 2016 US elections and Facebook). Because of this precedent, the argument that TikTok, with its data gathering capabilities, presents an opening for foreign influence on US politics has substantial weight.

There isn't anything fundamentally wrong with foreign competition, but we can't just ignore the potential impact of foreign companies entering the US market on our politics.

Back
Top Bottom