***Official Political Discussion Thread***

[h1]Spicer: Trump doesn't own a bathrobe[/h1]

By Kevin Liptak, CNN White House Producer

Updated 6:40 PM ET, Mon February 6, 2017

"That story was so riddled with inaccuracies and lies that they owe the President an apology for the way that thing was written," he told reporters aboard Air Force One. "There were literally blatant factual errors, and it's unacceptable to see that kind of reporting."

He identified one detail in the piece that rang false.
"I don't think the President wears a bathrobe, and definitely doesn't own one," he said.

The New York Times had reported: "When Mr. Trump is not watching television in his bathrobe or on his phone reaching out to old campaign hands and advisers, he will sometimes set off to explore the unfamiliar surroundings of his new home."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/06/politics/donald-trump-bathrobe/
i just thought this was funny...

Last edited:
C3_qPf0WIAI3qZ_.jpg:orig

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...5efb7ccfb0d_story.html?utm_term=.b73a8b6cc61e

A man from Omaha hating people he had never met before until he met those people. Reminds me of what @SFC415  has said about the plains.

[h1]Spicer: Trump doesn't own a bathrobe[/h1]

By Kevin Liptak, CNN White House Producer

Updated 6:40 PM ET, Mon February 6, 2017

"That story was so riddled with inaccuracies and lies that they owe the President an apology for the way that thing was written," he told reporters aboard Air Force One. "There were literally blatant factual errors, and it's unacceptable to see that kind of reporting."

He identified one detail in the piece that rang false.
"I don't think the President wears a bathrobe, and definitely doesn't own one," he said.

The New York Times had reported: "When Mr. Trump is not watching television in his bathrobe or on his phone reaching out to old campaign hands and advisers, he will sometimes set off to explore the unfamiliar surroundings of his new home."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/06/politics/donald-trump-bathrobe/
i just thought this was funny...
3A26DDDE00000578-3913524-Donald_Trump_channels_Burt_Reynolds_the_quintessential_the_Cosmo-a-1_1478644992154.jpg

As president, Trump is recognizing that, well, it’s “complicated.” It could take until “sometime into next year” until an ACA replacement is put through, Trump told Bill O’Reilly this weekend.

C3_qPf0WIAI3qZ_.jpg:orig

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...5efb7ccfb0d_story.html?utm_term=.b73a8b6cc61e

A man from Omaha hating people he had never met before until he met those people. Reminds me of what @SFC415
 has said about the plains.

A few blocks away from Aljasem, John Dutcher, a 61-year-old house cleaner, lives in a complex of low-rise apartments in a neighborhood where American flags flapped on porches. After the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Dutcher said he was “one of those guys who would want to put a pig’s head on a mosque. I never acted on it, but I played it in my head.”

“I hated Muslims,” he said.

For years, Dutcher’s neighbors were meth addicts and rowdy alcoholics. Slobs. In June, a Syrian family who spoke no English moved in. Another family moved in after that, then another. Now there are six.

Soon enough, Dutcher said, empty bottles in the hallway were replaced with children’s bicycles. The loud arguments of a ­drug-addicted couple were replaced by the sounds of children’s laughter.

“The Muslims here were all about family and they just loved everyone,” Dutcher said. “I remember the people who lived here before; they took for granted everything this country gave them. These people, they really changed my heart.”

Through interpreters, he learned about the families’ stories of loss and fleeing war. It softened his stance on Islam and led him to question some of what Trump was saying. Around refugees, he never felt safer.

“I used to be afraid when the meth addicts were here,” he said. “Now I don’t even look to see who’s knocking on my door. I know it will be someone with a plate of food or a kid asking me to fix his bike.”

oisnkm.jpg

The 'our bosses ain't do ****, so let's take their jobs' mentality. Digging the revolution. :pimp:

I definitely do believe that more academics, especially scientists need to hold elected offices.

As far as the relationship between the United States government and scientists is concerned, we can divide it into three historical era.

1789-1941: The federal government did not need much active consultation with scientists. The federal government issued patents and copy rights to encourage innovation. The federal and state governments promoted education and the US military had a keen interest in engineering. However, there was no ta huge need for scientific consultation among elected officials.

1941-2001: World War II Starts, we have nuclear arms race, we establish more and scientific methods of agriculture, environmentalism develops, we have a department of energy, the State assumes more responsibility for keeping people health and safe. Now our lawmakers and Presidents need much more input from scientists and they sought it out and American academics were happy to help. Republicans and Democrats listen to their advisers.

2001: We need scientific advice more than ever but two big things change. The Fossil fuel industry needs to deny climate change. More broadly, the conservative movement foments more and more anti expertise. Evangelical Christianity, cultural tribalism, the demonizing of education, an aversion to "cultural elites" and a sclerotic media all create climate where about half of the Country becomes hostile to facts.

Given this political climate, scientists need to become the politicians who cast the Congressional votes themselves. It is not an ideal set up but it is better than the status quo. A better set up is that the politicians do what they usually did 50 years ago and took guys from MIT more seriously than a John Birch Society Pamphlet.

The 'our bosses ain't do ****, so let's take their jobs' mentality. Digging the revolution. :pimp:

I definitely do believe that more academics, especially scientists need to hold elected offices.

As far as the relationship between the United States government and scientists is concerned, we can divide it into three historical era.

1789-1941: The federal government did not need much active consultation with scientists. The federal government issued patents and copy rights to encourage innovation. The federal and state governments promoted education and the US military had a keen interest in engineering. However, there was no ta huge need for scientific consultation among elected officials.

1941-2001: World War II Starts, we have nuclear arms race, we establish more and scientific methods of agriculture, environmentalism develops, we have a department of energy, the State assumes more responsibility for keeping people health and safe. Now our lawmakers and Presidents need much more input from scientists and they sought it out and American academics were happy to help. Republicans and Democrats listen to their advisers.

2001: We need scientific advice more than ever but two big things change. The Fossil fuel industry needs to deny climate change. More broadly, the conservative movement foments more and more anti expertise. Evangelical Christianity, cultural tribalism, the demonizing of education, an aversion to "cultural elites" and a sclerotic media all create climate where about half of the Country becomes hostile to facts.

Given this political climate, scientists need to become the politicians who cast the Congressional votes themselves. It is not an ideal set up but it is better than the status quo. A better set up is that the politicians do what they usually did 50 years ago and took guys from MIT more seriously than a John Birch Society Pamphlet.
The Cold War was kind of sweet in that the real target was to establish scientific superiority. Now the cold war we have is about maximizing disinformation.

Medicine has perhaps evolved similarly. I couldn't put dates on it but health crises of the past century (flu epidemic, AIDS, lung cancer, etc.) have empowered public health experts to determine policy (vaccinations, restrictions on cigarette advertising, tracking of STDs). Millions of lives have been saved. It pre-dated WWII and lasted into the 21st century. But now we're at risk of taking a step backward. trump is relying on debunked medical claims, such as the fraudulent claims about vaccines and autism, the outdated claims about mental health disease/PTSD/CTE, and the childlike mischaracterization of an abortion procedure. He's already gone after the scientific community; it's only a matter of time before he goes after the medical community. He will set us back decades as he promotes those who share his dangerous approach.

Already we've seen Mulvaney, who trump chose to lead the Office of Management and Budget, question whether Zika virus is actually linked to microcephaly and whether we should spend any federal funds studying and combating this disease.

The big question is whether this reflects a larger trend or if it's limited to trump. I would say the latter, for now, but there is a danger that more politicians and more of the public will dismiss medicine.

But overall it'll accelerate natural selection so it's not all bad.

That was pretty strange, the idea that there are terrorist attacks that we never hear about, as if they were car accidents.

In Asia and Africa, the US press does not talk about specific terrorist attacks, so that is true. In a NATO Country though, even the smallest terrorist attacks (especially if it is committed by Islamists) will instantly take over the news cycle.

From my perspective it almost felt like they covered terror attacks in Europe too much. It felt like conspiracy. It seemed like whenever the news was about to do segment on income inequality or we were about to see good discussion about the malfeasance of big business, you would see the screen flash "breaking news: Ali al Nassari of Brussels hit a cat with his car, it was clearly an act of Islamic extremism and that's what we will talk about for the next week."

Then you'd get Chris Mathews taking over the live coverage "well, ya know Brussels is in Europe, aw as we all know there was a World war II in Europe, I think that this will definitely help Hillary Clinton because, ah ya, Islamic extremism, Europe, ah JFK went to Europe, the ah world is a dangerous place. That's why Bernie can't be President because he doesn't know the foreign policy like Hillary Clinton, so ah ya, Europe, Donna, what's you're take on this..."

Not that I am disparaging Brussels or Paris or any where else in Europe but it was clear that the media was not really interested in global affairs. They know almost nothing about the politics of Belgium or France or even Great Britain. They used terrorist attacks in Europe to as a tool. The center left media would use it to shut down discussions of domestic inequity (and to really deprive Bernie Sanders of coverage) and the conservative media would use every minor attack as hard evidence that Barack Obama is conspiring with Islamists to destroy the white race.

So yeah, the idea that the media does not cover terrorist attacks in Western Europe is laughable.

Half of the attacks on the list have been well publicized

The White House is straight up reaching at this point :lol: :smh:

Last edited:
All of these events that took place in the US or Europe are well known. Sorry but I don't care about a guy in Algeria getting stabbed, people out here dying everyday B. Why ain't spicer complaining about reporting of people in America dying. America first!

All of these events that took place in the US or Europe are well known. Sorry but I don't care about a guy in Algeria getting stabbed, people out here dying everyday B. Why ain't spicer complaining about reporting of people in America dying. America first!
Seriously. We got folks out here dying because of contaminated water.

Last edited:
A prominent Democrat should release a list of all the innocent lives lost to gun violence in America that weren't covered by the national media.

It'll be thousands of pages long.

**** trump

Back
Top Bottom