***Official Political Discussion Thread***

You said this acknowledging that it can be abused like any other drug or substance

then said

So we ask if you have a problem with marijuana's gateway potential as a reason it shouldn't have wide spread legal distribution why do you not apply that same logic to any other drugs and substances that can be abused (like you said in your previous comment) and have gateway potential as well?
What do you mean why don't I use it? Im not arguing for Alcohol. You are arguing that point with yourself.
I didnt say you where arguing for it. Im asking why aren't you being consistent with your logic not why dont you use anything

Last edited:
That is the problem with this argument, is that it isnt the drug, but the individual.

As is true with anything. But I am sure most on this thread have experienced the type of people I have described. Whether you don't think those dangers are worth limiting the drug is a personal preference. But the issues are real.

As is whether you do think they are real is a personal preference. What i was only trying to say in my initial response is that it isnt the drug use, but the underlying issues that cause a person to abuse drugs. Whether it be poverty, depression, pain, or whatever, people will do what they can to escape their own personal pain. Drugs do not make people start to do drugs.

Bradd Jaffy‏Verified account  @BraddJaffy   2m2 minutes ago
More

White House video that accuses the CBO of inaccurately estimating health coverage … spells “inaccurately” wrong https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/885188838590529536 …

DEjfI9_WAAEU5Pt.jpg

But it is relevant when you are pretending like marijunana is the only thing that causes those bad things to happen...we are just asking you to be consistent with your logic because if you are gonna use that logic that "some people abuse it so we shouldnt legalize it" you have to apply that to other things people abuse too and you arent doing that

I'm not pretending like marijuana is the only thing that causes those bad things to happen. Tons of things do. I apologize if you think that me stating those issues in regards to marijuana means I'm ignoring the issues in other items. We were talking about marijuana. So I responded. If you want to discuss alcohol and it's legality we can. For one underage drinking is a crime, but an 18 year old smoking marijuana faces only civil penalties.

Sorry guys, i am a stay at home father of four happy kids, and a business owner who puts in countless hours from home. So between juggling the kids and work, because my wife is currently enrolled at uc chico to become a teacher and working full time as well, I cannot say weed makes a stereotypical stoner, but it is the individual. I know people who are hella lazy that dont smoke weed. Weed rant over and out, i got yardwork to do.

it's always funny hearing folks' arguments against the legalization of marijuana..

first thing that comes to my mind is those arguments being applied to the obvious legal substances that are already readily abused: alcohol, cig and other tobacco products, over the counter and prescription drugs

then i start to think about the crap in our diets (sugar and other terrible shhh) and the health risk that come therewith

The logic isn't there so it's a bunch of harpin' on sound good points that don't hold water

But it is relevant when you are pretending like marijunana is the only thing that causes those bad things to happen...we are just asking you to be consistent with your logic because if you are gonna use that logic that "some people abuse it so we shouldnt legalize it" you have to apply that to other things people abuse too and you arent doing that
I'm not pretending like marijuana is the only thing that causes those bad things to happen. Tons of things do. I apologize if you think that me stating those issues in regards to marijuana means I'm ignoring the issues in other items. We were talking about marijuana. So I responded. If you want to discuss alcohol and it's legality we can. For one underage drinking is a crime, but an 18 year old smoking marijuana faces only civil penalties.
I know we where talking about marijuana the reason I brought up alcohol and other substances is because the reason you are using as the core of your argument against legalization.
 And marijuana, like any other drug can be abused. We all know someone that can't quite get their lives together who spend the little they have getting high all day. That isn't positive.

The core of his argument boils down to "my beliefs," which is why he straight up disregarded the little bit of evidence posted here that showed how the negatives of Mj were overstated.

Ain't nobody got time for arguing against beliefs disguising as"informed opinions"

i've worked in the substance abuse field for more tha 20 years. i've been ask to consult with the criminal justice department in rhode island on issues surrounding crystal meth, have met with members of congress to discuss the same issues, and i can positively say that alcohol is much more dangerous than cannabis. i have my own opinions on the gateway drug issue also and i the the role of cannabis as a gateway to harder drugs is highly exaggerated.

Your point is valid and well taken. But that argument can be used for anything that is illegal. As a result, your counter-argument that "alcohol is bad too" is not that strong. I identified the issues in regards to criminal liability for alcohol that aren't the same with regards to marijuana.

The core of his argument boils down to "my beliefs," which is why he straight up disregarded the little bit of evidence posted here that showed how the negatives of Mj were overstated.

Ain't nobody got time for arguing against beliefs disguising as"informed opinions"

The core of my argument boils down to my experience. A few articles showing that the issues I identified are overstated doesn't negate the issues. And, if I wanted, I could post articles that spun in my favor as well. Its not that hard. And the likely response is discrediting the source or flat out concluding it is bs.

The core of my argument boils down to my experience. A few articles showing that the issues I identified are overstated doesn't negate the issues. And, if I wanted, I could post articles that spun in my favor as well. Its not that hard. And the likely response is discrediting the source or flat out concluding it is bs.

there you go, all based on your experience. Which clearly lacks diversity, openmindness, and empathy. Peace.

Your point is valid and well taken. But that argument can be used for anything that is illegal. As a result, your counter-argument that "alcohol is bad too" is not that strong. I identified the issues in regards to criminal liability for alcohol that aren't the same with regards to marijuana.
My counter argument isnt that alcohol is bad too im only pointing out that your logic is against legalization is weak. My argument is that saying because some abuse it means it shouldnt be legalized is a weak argument.

Studies >>> your experience's man I don't know what else to tell you. Not to say your experiences dont matter but it doesnt outweigh studies done by professionals.

You cant just ignore that studies that include dozens of studies that show the issue that is the core of your argument is overstated because it doesn't fit what your experience. You just one person these studies involve 100's to 1000's when done properly to gather this data to draw these conclusions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom