***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Inb4 the alt righters in here didn't know Joe was a Republican
laugh.gif
i would be willing to bet a significant amount the aforementioned have zero clue about:

At least Eddie understands the house impeached Clinton. Don't even understand why it was brought back up that he wasn't impeached smh.

It's like arguing that somebody was arrested and charged to the full extent of the law when although arrested the charges were dropped.

Forcing a W on a technicality of "in a way he was impeached" is weaksauce

Never said it was "W." I stated he was impeached, and he was. There's no "in a way he was impeached." He was, period.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-the-republican-party/?utm_term=.2c61aeb5b2d0

‘Morning Joe’ co-host Joe Scarborough is leaving the Republican Party

Inb4 the alt righters in here didn't know Joe was a Republican :lol:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...al-conservatives-lost-republican-trump-215259

‘Trump Is What Happens When a Political Party Abandons Ideas’
As surprising as Trump’s young presidency has been, it’s also the natural outgrowth of 30 years of Republican pandering to the lowest common denominator in American politics.

So we're really in the Barry Goldwater 2.0 era huh

Inb4 the alt righters in here didn't know Joe was a Republican :lol:

i would be willing to bet a significant amount the aforementioned have zero clue about:

I wonder if Joe still believes in low taxation and privatization of government.

This

Also this. that analysis didn't prove what he thinks it did.
They called it a study at the end of the article...but they didn't perform any experiments or gather any data themselves. They used data from 2006-2008, which doesn't make for a large data set.

Let's say they did go out and gather more data...more years and more locations...even if you get the same correlation it is irrelevant to those who would have access to the cannabis (18+)
Exactly when talking about legalization we are talking about adults that would be of legal age to buy that doesn't mean get rid of penalties for people that would be underage

Just read it and again the point still stands like many have stated before it is not the substance that causes the later abuse of hard drugs by itself, there are more variables at play (economic status, household, mental state etc). The vices people choose to scratch that itch are not caused by other substances all that study shows is that people who have used hard substances have tried many substances to scratch that itch previously but not that everyone that uses weaker substances graduates to use of harder ones.

In the same link you posted this was stated

Meaning that you can't say people going on to harder drugs is soley because of them using drugs like marijuana as a gateway there are way to many variables at play to put it on one thing like marijuana like you have been doing in your argument against legalization.
I never used the word solely. I identified issues with the widespread legalization. I'm not making the point that marijuana is the sole cause of anything. I identified issues and posted empirical evidence. Reasonable minds can disagree on whether the issues I identified are enough to restrict the use. I personally also think cigarettes need to be restricted.
This is the whole point the reasons you brought up do not negate like someone else said correlation does not equal causation. Because some people abuse it and some of those some people go onto harder drugs is not a reason to not legalize it for people of age (18+) 

nevermind I answered my own question :lol:

Scarborough said the modern day Republican Party was “not a party that Ronald Reagan could associate with” and not one he wants to claim any longer either. He told Colbert that he still believes in the core values of conservatism — lower taxes, small government — but that the party’s silence in the face of Trump’s racism is unacceptable.

One more thing about drugs and our society's inconsistent views.

I grew up in the exoburbs on So Cal and a lot of the young men like to do "extreme" sports. There was a large number of young men who would take "hard" drugs. Both of those groups would produce a few fatalities. When it was because of bungee jumping, the death was seen as sad but unavoidable and no talked about banning bungee jumping. When the death was from an excess of cocaine or heroin, the consensus was that these drugs need to be "purged" from the community.

Why is okay to have fun and risk death while dirt biking but it is not okay to have fun and risk death while taking narcotics?

I grew up in the exoburbs on So Cal and a lot of the young men like to do "extreme" sports. There was a large number of young men who would take "hard" drugs. Both of those groups would produce a few fatalities. When it was because of bungee jumping, the death was seen as sad but unavoidable and no talked about banning bungee jumping. When the death was from an excess of cocaine or heroin, the consensus was that these drugs need to be "purged" from the community.

Why is okay to have fun and risk death while dirt biking but it is not okay to have fun and risk death while taking narcotics?
909?

This obsession with an instance gratification impeachment is troubling. We need to focus on winning locally and State wide in 2018. We need a majority in at least one chamber. We need to keep the 2020 census and the run up to the Census honest. We need majorities in State Houses. We need to have more pull in redistricting in the early 2020's.

We have to just accept that we will have a Republican in the White House until at least 2021. If we can get a majority in both chambers, we can use the threat of impeachment and prosecution against Trump and his family to extract concessions but above all, we need to win some elections if we want all this Russian stuff to mean anything.

>ongoing opioid crisis, thousands turning to heroin because it's cheaper
>children addicted to sugar before they can form words
>adults literally living off of caffeine and cigs
>alcohol destroying lives and apparently killing white women at alarming rates
>marijuana is a gateway drug though

I feel that way about skateboarding. I watched an episode of a FOX documentary where a young skateboard fan escalated his stunts from jumping a car to jumping over small animals to trying to jump over Springfield Gorge. His father ended up taking the jump and nearly died.

Yes, the biggest win for our country would be to turn the house blue in 2018 (and keeping the census honest and possibly making some of the gerrymandering less favorable to republicans and also winning local elections). It really doesn't matter if trump gets impeached or not. This current state of scandals and leaks and investigations is enough to give Republicans cover when they don't do what he wants them to (budget, wall, immigration, etc.). The other big victory will be if no Supreme Court Justices retire before 2020.

One additional note on the drug discussion: you guys did a great job breaking down the lazy "gateway drug" description into useful mechanisms. Is it a gateway drug because of socioeconomic factors (people without a job may be more likely to use drugs or live in neighborhoods were drugs are more widely sold, for example)? Or is it because of personal tendencies (there are genetic and personality-based predispositions to drug use and risk of addiction)? Or is it because of access (once you know a dealer for weed, you're more likely to get access to someone who sells other drugs)? Or is it because of biology (a drug may change your biology and make you more likely to desire a second drug)?

The factor that matters most for the debate about whether we should legalize marijuana is the final one (whether there's a biological interaction). It's also possible that legalized marijuana could lead to more people losing their jobs and then, through the first factor, using other drugs. Also, if it's a question of access, then actually legalizing marijuana would reduce the use of other hard drugs because now people will only be acquiring weed through a dispensary and not having to deal with shady drug dealers who want to push harder drugs.

These are now well-posed questions that can be studied scientifically.

Last edited:
What is your definition of impeached?

My definition is the definition. The house has the authority to impeach the president by a majority vote. I think the disconnect is that people think impeach means remove from office. It doesn't, and I'm not saying it does.

I take issue with the hypocrisy in how this country has always handled drugs/race.

It is what it is, though. This is all expected.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom