***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I thought Stephen Miller and Steve Bannon were like good friends?

They all sell out for Teflon Donnie and like they haven’t seen the people before them.

Trump has sold out wives, friends, family etc.

The prototypical mugu is that person who thinks they can't get tricked ever, and that is the first characteristic a confidence man looks for in their victims.

26169811_2209209599090006_506259304946283451_n.jpg

I can certainly think of a particular something he has in common with Reagan

don't know how I'd feel about her running for president.... but that was a great speech.

makes me want to be a better man and person, just in general.

How bad could it be? *shrug*

what do you have to lose?

That last quote is what we’re missing. Folks are getting worse. It’s a nightmare right now.

it seems like a distant memory, the idea of just being a decent human being. *plays MJ* That’s why I’m starting with me. I'm starting with the man in the mirror. I’m asking him to change his ways. And no message could have been any clearer: if you wanna make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and then make a change.

It just feels like everyone is caught up with being right and winning. Politics exemplifies this but I think it's a growing part of our culture too. It's poison.

Oprah, unlike many other billionaires, seems to have some genuine empathy toward marginalized groups, especially minorities and women.

If she assembles a real economic team, a would be more welcoming of her in the primary than say a Mark Cuban or a Zuckerberg.

I think liberals and leftist need to no just disqualify candidates from the jump. Think back to 2000; we had a joke of a primary which was a cake walk from Al Gore, way worse than what Hillary got in 2016. As a result, Gore's pitches were not tested, he didn't have to flank to the left, and he showed up to the general pedaling some weak brand populism.

In 2004 and 2008 we had more open primaries which allowed more ideas to get attention and new pitches. Jon Edwards nor Howard Dean won the nomination, but their focus on inequity laid the groundwork for how Dems started to change the way they talk about the economy. In 2008 it got nasty but Hillary v. Obama v. Dean forced the Dems more left, and Obama was able to beat back Hillary by speaking against the 'Bill Clintonism" of the past, namely vague appeals to white nationalism. It also caused the Dems to move away from the "pro-growth" economics rhetoric.

2020 every centrist will have to find one or two leftist issue to run on, establishment Democrats will have to move left to cover their flanks, and leftist will need to spell out plainly how civil right policy fights into their plans.

The establishment will not rally around one candidate, Bernie nor Elizabeth Warren will not have a monopoly over the progressive vote or the "white working class" vote, which will force them to try to expand their coalition. We will have the orgy of serious policy debate people like Krugman and Klein want, and the Democratic Party through forced to address the issues affecting their entire coalition.

The only thing that worries me about Miller is that he is young and has plenty of time to reinvent himself. When you talk about theTrump administration to the younger folks who may not have lived through it, make sure you emphasize the supporting cast. They will come back.

Back
Top Bottom