***Official Political Discussion Thread***

giphy-downsized-large.gif

We employ tens of thousands. The poster's qualifying reasons don't seem to cover what I'm talking about. The example you gave in your first post is about someone who exhibits symptoms. The people I'm talking about aren't exhibiting symptoms, but they were exposed to possible cases that haven't been confirmed yet.

I understand now.

This would be a difficult scenario even if the testing was quicker. As you know, there are false negatives so someone could be asymptomatic, test negative and still be spreading it.

Obviously people are safer at home.

It is my understanding that under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act employees can receive 10 days regular pay for quarantining if they are seeking medical diagnosis for COVID. So waiting on test results would seemingly fall under that.

This is a link to questions and answers provided by the DOL to address some of the issues:

Question 62 appears to directly address the issue:

I am an employee. I become ill with COVID-19 symptoms, decide to quarantine myself for two weeks, and then return to work. I do not seek a medical diagnosis or the advice of a health care provider. Can I get paid for those two weeks under the FFCRA?

Generally no. If you become ill with COVID-19 symptoms, you may take paid sick leave under the FFCRA only to seek a medical diagnosis or if a health care provider otherwise advises you to self-quarantine. If you test positive for the virus associated with COVID-19 or are advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine, you may continue to take paid sick leave. You may not take paid sick leave under the FFCRA if you unilaterally decide to self-quarantine for an illness without medical advice, even if you have COVID-19 symptoms. Note that you may not take paid sick leave under the FFCRA if you become ill with an illness not related to COVID-19. Depending on your employer’s expectations and your condition, however, you may be able to telework during your period of quarantine.
I used this in April when I got Covid and still haven’t been paid.

I certainly respect your position.

As I said from the onset, the response could have been much much better.

which you've continuously hedged with the sentiment that it could've been much worse if not for the same administration, and cite to "more testing" for that.

This goes back to what I said the other day about playing political football. Your need to defend this administration, in light of how bad they've shown themselves to be, is concerning. Democrats aren't perfect. In fact, they've got a ton of ideas I don't agree with too. Example: Bernie's idea to create a program to give everyone money to buy masks. Dumb. Why not just directly give people money to buy masks or offer a tax credit for doing so? Not every idea needs a government program to administrate it. Another example: Defunding police. I don't think it makes sense to wholesale defund police departments and abolish them as some have called for. I think there's a need for police, but they've deviated from fulfilling what society needs. Police should help people feel safe in their communities, not targeted. Police should not be infringing on our rights to make arrests, and they should most certainly not be killing unarmed citizens. George Floyd was killed after he bought cigarettes with an alleged fake twenty dollar bill. We need to revisit how officers respond to situations, because (in the hypothetical) even if he did use a fake twenty, and even if he did resist, there has to be a better way to police than kneeling on a man's neck. They could've just as easily cuffed his hands and his ankles and tried talking him down. Instead, they killed him.

IMO, we should reallocate the money police departments already get for new cruisers and tanks into better conflict management and deescalation training. I'd recommend constitutional law courses, but my inner pessimist thinks it'll just teach them what they need to do to uphold an iffy search under constitutional challenge.

If I can call that out, why won't you do the same for your side's poor virus response, questionable use of tax dollars, questionable tax cuts for the wealthy creating giant budget deficits contradicting your party's platform, promoting his friend and campaign donor to USPS postmaster general who happens to hold private stakes in USPS competitors and has already began implementing procedures to slow down the postal service in a clear attempt to dissuade its use and thereby suppress votes, and failure to implement a promised healthcare plan as a replacement for the affordable care act despite multiple promises to do so?

For us to be able to have a better political dialogue and compromise on things, you have to be willing to call your side out for their failures. It would help by identifying the modern day republican platform, because it seems the current administration has significantly drifted away from what they claim their values to be. Fundamentally, what do you believe the republican platform is that you continue to vote for?

which you've continuously hedged with the sentiment that it could've been much worse if not for the same administration, and cite to "more testing" for that.

This goes back to what I said the other day about playing political football. Your need to defend this administration, in light of how bad they've shown themselves to be, is concerning. Democrats aren't perfect. In fact, they've got a ton of ideas I don't agree with too. Example: Bernie's idea to create a program to give everyone money to buy masks. Dumb. Why not just directly give people money to buy masks or offer a tax credit for doing so? Not every idea needs a government program to administrate it. Another example: Defunding police. I don't think it makes sense to wholesale defund police departments and abolish them as some have called for. I think there's a need for police, but they've deviated from fulfilling what society needs. Police should help people feel safe in their communities, not targeted. Police should not be infringing on our rights to make arrests, and they should most certainly not be killing unarmed citizens. George Floyd was killed after he bought cigarettes with an alleged fake twenty dollar bill. We need to revisit how officers respond to situations, because (in the hypothetical) even if he did use a fake twenty, and even if he did resist, there has to be a better way to police than kneeling on a man's neck. They could've just as easily cuffed his hands and his ankles and tried talking him down. Instead, they killed him.

IMO, we should reallocate the money police departments already get for new cruisers and tanks into better conflict management and deescalation training. I'd recommend constitutional law courses, but my inner pessimist thinks it'll just teach them what they need to do to uphold an iffy search under constitutional challenge.

If I can call that out, why won't you do the same for your side's poor virus response, questionable use of tax dollars, questionable tax cuts for the wealthy creating giant budget deficits contradicting your party's platform, promoting his friend and campaign donor to USPS postmaster general who happens to hold private stakes in USPS competitors and has already began implementing procedures to slow down the postal service in a clear attempt to dissuade its use and thereby suppress votes, and failure to implement a promised healthcare plan as a replacement for the affordable care act despite multiple promises to do so?

For us to be able to have a better political dialogue and compromise on things, you have to be willing to call your side out for their failures. It would help by identifying the modern day republican platform, because it seems the current administration has significantly drifted away from what they claim their values to be. Fundamentally, what do you believe the republican platform is that you continue to vote for?

At first I was going to ask where have you been if you think that I don't call out this administration, but it says you joined Niketalk on June 9, 2020. Perhaps your thoughts on what I am willing to do is based on only a short period of time.

I call out this administration plenty. I have continuously stated that I disagree with many of the President's tweets and the manner in which he posts them. I completely disagree with his stance on the confederate monuments. I am against a lot of the President's rhetoric in general. But I think he has an ability to get Republican senators to back bills they would otherwise hold up under another administration. Some recent examples include the First Step Act and record funding to HBCUs.

I actually agree with your suggestions on police reform and support de-militarization of police.

But to get to what I support:

I support prison reform and welfare reform. I support funding for education that allows low-income students to receive quality education. I am pro-life. I support greater opportunities for job-creators and the easing of regulations to allow for greater innovation and growth. I also support reparations for black descendants of slaves in America.

I think that these issues have the best chance of being addressed under this administration as many of the issues would die in the senate under another administration.

These interests are not tied to a specific party and I said that I'd vote Biden if he chooses a black running mate and proposes reparations for black descendants of slaves in America.

we active. ready for fall.

everybody I know that’s eligible to vote requested mail in or stated they’d be at polling places ready for whatever comes with being there.

sooo does this mean all the stuff people were worried about going to CCP will start being funneled to the US government instead? 🤔

it’s wild that a platform they claim has backdoors and is essentially “spyware” is so coveted by them.

we active. ready for fall.

everybody I know that’s eligible to vote requested mail in or stated they’d be at polling places ready for whatever comes with being there.

sooo does this mean all the stuff people were worried about going to CCP will start being funneled to the US government instead? 🤔

it’s wild that a platform they claim has backdoors and is essentially “spyware” is so coveted by them.
Trump is trying to ban TikTok allegedly because of how they might use people's data meanwhile Senate Republicans are trying to end encryption and compromise our data. So, basically this is just Trump trying to act tough against China. You can't make this **** up. This is so goddamn stupid.

Trump is trying to ban TikTok allegedly because of how they might use people's data meanwhile Senate Republicans are trying to end encryption and compromise our data. So, basically this is just Trump trying to act tough against China. You can't make this **** up. This is so goddamn stupid.

while also threatening that whoever buys tiktok will have to pay the US a substantial amount of money or else it'll be banned in the US.

Back
Top Bottom