***Official Political Discussion Thread***

They would have to do some really careful, accurate polling to make sure that’s what they really want. Turnout would be much different in deep red and deep blue states if the popular vote counted.
Good point. Could go both ways. People always say Dems only win the popular vote because conservatives in California don't bother to vote because they know they'll lose. So you could make the same argument about liberals in red states.

I think overall it would be a wash but it's worth crunching the numbers first.

yup. Trump barely won Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania in 2016, some with smaller margins than Biden will win with.

If it comes down to only one state, a recount could be an issue. But if Biden wins 306-232 (which is what we're on pace for), a recount in any one state would be meaningless.

Trump will still ask for recounts, which they have to pay for themselves, at least in Wisconsin. Just another chance for him to piss away the money of people who believe in him.
You’re right that if Biden gets to 306 any one state would be meaningless but if it’s close enough in GA, PA, and WI that’s 46 electors, which would be enough collectively. And you have to remember who we’re dealing with here. I’m not saying the recounts will change the outcome. I’m just saying they will happen if Orange has a legal opportunity to make them happen.

GA is within .1%... Recount can be requested within .5%. Recount has already been requested in Wisconsin.
You’re conflating requests with automatic recounts. Requesting doesn’t mean you’re going to be granted one. Like I said, these aren’t razor thin margins like Florida in 2000. And it’s not one singular state that turned the election. Can’t just demand recounts in every state that you lost by thousands, tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of votes.

y5V1tuAjmeivUWebFY-yIvLRRmNqZun0YggdkTvpcgk.jpg
75% of the people in nevada are in Vegas lol. The other 20% is reno. The last 5% is the hills have eyes inbreds in the desert. They're the trump supporters the map shows.

Good point. Could go both ways. People always say Dems only win the popular vote because conservatives in California don't bother to vote because they know they'll lose. So you could make the same argument about liberals in red states.

I think overall it would be a wash but it's worth crunching the numbers first.
That brings up another point... Does either side really want to count all the votes? Or do they both just want to win?

You’re conflating requests with automatic recounts. Requesting doesn’t mean you’re going to be granted one. Like I said, these aren’t razor thin margins like Florida in 2000. And it’s not one singular state that turned the election. Can’t just demand recounts in every state that you lost by thousands, tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of votes.
Some states do automatic. Some states have a threshold where you can request it and it must be granted. Right now WI and GA are both within those thresholds where they have to grant the request by law.

You would need 2/3 of congress and 38 state legislatures. Not gonna happen. What could happen is states could split their electors like Maine and Nebraska so it’s not winner take all. But that’s never gonna happen unless all the bigger states come to an agreement.
Half right here. :lol: There are various proposals for electoral college reform that don’t involve amending the Constitution so 2/3 of Congress and 38 state legislatures aren’t needed. You mentioned one but there are several other more fulsome ones as well.

With how divided we are now it’s hard to believe we were ever in a place where 3/4 of states agreed that alcohol was bad.

Recounts usually are within 100 vote differences MAX. Losing by thousands won’t change anything

He can ask and request all the recounts he wants, unless GA ends up being within 50-100 vote difference there's no chance for him to overturn the initial vote. They're aren't going to be a 1000 changes in votes let alone 20k. And without WI being a factor, winning PN, NV, and/or AZ; no judge worth their gavel will take that case.

Some states do automatic. Some states have a threshold where you can request it and it must be granted. Right now WI and GA are both within those thresholds where they have to grant the request by law.
That’s incorrect. Wisconsin and Georgia don’t have automatic recount triggers. Georgia will fall within the threshold where they can request, but doesn’t have to be granted either. Trump campaign already gave up on a Wisconsin recount FYI.

Back
Top Bottom