Official Reebok Kamikaze II Thread AKA "Reignmans"

Apologies if I somehow missed it, but did anyone ever clarify why the black K2s that dropped recently were called "ATL-LAX"? Are they somehow related to airports? Anyone? Bueller?

My Bruce Lee's came in today. Quality is on point. The leather has a really smooth soft touch

PSX_20180403_172425.jpg
PSX_20180403_172450.jpg
PSX_20180403_172513.jpg
PSX_20180403_172543.jpg

Ooooohhh. Liking the colorways, hope they don’t disappoint :wow: :smile:

Edit: I’m assuming the blk/wht is going to be this colorway? I still have the high top and low tops so I’m going to shoot for the wht/red-blue.
1590442141239.jpeg

Could this be the Navy/wht-red pair?
1590442658336.jpeg

Last edited:
Agreed noblekane noblekane , easy pass on the OG colourways if they don't have the Kemp logo. :smh: :smh: :smh:

They ought to pay Kemp though, man's selling his crib and looks like he's not on the coaching or analyst scene. He was instrumental for them moving Reebok kicks in the 90s.

https://www.realtor.com/news/celebrity-real-estate/shawn-kemp-selling-washington-home/

Agree, One of the upcoming colorways pays homage to that. Still not Kemp but trying to bring some of the OG aesthetic back.

Apologies if I somehow missed it, but did anyone ever clarify why the black K2s that dropped recently were called "ATL-LAX"? Are they somehow related to airports? Anyone? Bueller?

When the shoe was designed it was suppose to be for the rapper Future who’s from Atlanta. He was suppose to perform at Reebok’s activation in Los Angeles that year but it didn’t happen and the shoe kept the name ATL to LAX.

bait-bruce-lee-reebok-kamikaze-ii-3.png
bait-bruce-lee-reebok-kamikaze-ii-5.png
bait-bruce-lee-reebok-kamikaze-ii-6.png
Via SC

This pair's colorway takes inspiration from Lee's Game of Death jumpsuit. It utilizes a yellow leather upper with black accents on the silhouette's signature jagged stripe pattern, tongue, branding, and outsole. Special Bruce Lee hits come in the form of 'Bruce Lee' written on the lateral toe area, his signature flying kick pose in yellow on the heel, red slash marks on the tongue's pull tab, and graphic insoles that display a photo of the man himself. Matching mesh basketball shorts will also be releasing alongside this pair of the Shawn Kemp signature model.

Whole story was made up last minute lol. Original designed around rain jackets as Kemp was known as the rain main. All the matte finishing on the upper was to reference that. When Bait couldnt get Shawn Kemp on board for the release they changed it to the Bruce Lee theme. They had the license already and just added it to the collection.
7DC562DA-90A7-470B-BBD9-D4B2CA3F5467.jpeg

STONEGATEDRIVE STONEGATEDRIVE great to see a post from you my G. I appreciate the Kemp colourway homage but the 'KEMP' branding should be on the kicks - otherwise I'm good with my '13 pair. Only wore 'em twice in any case. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can you shed some light on what's keeping the official Kemp branding off the shoes though? Reebok had him doing some promotions for the retros so they had to have been paying him. Is this a royalty dispute as opposed to a single appearance fee?

Last edited:
STONEGATEDRIVE STONEGATEDRIVE great to see a post from you my G. I appreciate the Kemp colourway homage but the 'KEMP' branding should be on the kicks - otherwise I'm good with my '13 pair. Only wore 'em twice in any case. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can you shed some light on what's keeping the official Kemp branding off the shoes though? Reebok had him doing some promotions for the retros so they had to have been paying him. Is this a royalty dispute as opposed to a single appearance fee?

Yeah I don’t blame you man. It’s all what floats your boat.

In order to put an athletes “likeness” or “name” on product you have to pay them. This is common across the entire sportswear industry. You see this with Nike, Fila, and Adidas retro product. For the “original retro” release of the Kamikaze Kemp most likely wasn’t under contract. I assume marketing felt Kemp wasn't worth paying a royalty too, or paying him to use his name. So they made the decision to remove the Kemp wordmark.

On the flip side when retro product is initially created the designer or marketing team can miss details or make calls based on personal preferences. Once these molds, cutting dies, graphics etc. are created they become the standard moving forward. So over time and after many years it becomes the new standard for that “OG” product . It takes guys who know what’s up to restore those details, or a marketing team to make the call to fix it, which could have been made years prior to them joining the brand . 9 out of 10 times most people just miss the detail or isn’t aware of it. So I’m sure this is how a marketing team would justify it. But I agree with you! It really matters!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom