:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Season Thread [1-1 @Rams 9/22 1:25PST]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jimmy is just not good. Although I still think they make the playoffs in spite of Jimmy. It's crazy seeing how no one runs deep routes because they know he can't get the ball to them. Everyone just runs around 10 to 15 yards from the scrimmage and always end up being in traffic and hit as soon as they catch it.

To be clear, yes he had a good drive. I'm sorry if I expect more than 1 or 2 good drives from our $27M a year QB.

Insufferable huh? Winning doesn't absolve players of criticism. If you dont think Jimmy played poorly in spite of the drive at the end, I don't know what to play.

If we won the game, would complaints about the running game and secondary be met with the same animosity that you are giving to me about the poor QB pmay.
Yes, insufferable. You're blaming the L on a guy who put us in position to win. Jerry Rice once said "Great players aren't always great, they're great when they need to be." Jimmy is not a great QB, no argument there. But he was great when he needed to be. And, no, I would not be as critical of the secondary if we won. Why? Because despite getting burned all night it meant they did what they needed to for us to secure a W. But they didn't. Would I be as critical of the run game as I am today? No. Why? Because Jimmy made up for their complete lack of production. The bottom line is Jimmy got us the lead and put us in a very favorable position and the defense completely choked.

Jimmy is just not good. Although I still think they make the playoffs in spite of Jimmy. It's crazy seeing how no one runs deep routes because they know he can't get the ball to them. Everyone just runs around 10 to 15 yards from the scrimmage and always end up being in traffic and hit as soon as they catch it.
Jimmy was sacked 4 times. The WR corps ran 10-15 yard routes and their QB was under duress for a good amount of his dropbacks. And GB ran 2 high safeties and dared the running game to beat them, they didn't.

49ers fans. Your standards at QB should not be Jimmy G.

If you're content with Jimmy G leading us to the playoffs and "anything can happen from there" then we've already lost.

Maybe because most of you here didn't fully witness the 80s and 90s as it happened in real time.

My San Francisco 49ers have a tradition of excellence at the QB position. Which means when we win Super Bowls its usually cause we have a top 3 QB in the NFL.

Jimmy ain't it. Time to cut him loose if we want any chance of contending for the chip this year. Otherwise we will have to wait til 2022.

If Jimmy starts all 17 this year, I can pretty much guarantee we will NOT make the Super Bowl and I'm willing to put $500 down right now.

I never want my team to lose but in this case part of me hopes Jimmy G gets further exposed by a weak Seattle defense next week so it can speed up the process with Trey.

No way we are 5-1 after 6 games. I honestly believe we will be 2-2 come next Sunday. Then Kyle will have THE Decision to make.

Deep down inside I know a lot of 49ers fans aren't happy with Garoppolo because he never threatens a defense with his passing.

Case in point on how we are deceived by the 2019 NFC Championship game: although we killed GB 37-20, let's not forget Jimmy threw for a whopping 77 yards in that game and Mostert ran for 220 and scored 4 TDs.

In other words, Jimmy didn't do jack and it was our running game that beat them.

Now that our running game is struggling, your QB is supposed to elevate his play to compensate. Unfortunately Jimmy can't do it.

Meanwhile, look at championship QBs of yesteryear...whenever Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Montana, Young, Elway, Eli, Big Ben had a struggling running back and needed to throw to win, these QBs could take over the game with their arm.

The fact that Jimmy cannot take advantage of Kittle's advantages speaks volumes. It sucks that Jimmy can't make his receivers better.

It’s not about Jimmy deserving 100% to be benched. It’s about moving forward and improving the position.

this is a pretty reasonable take. that being said, i'm still looking at this season with a lot of potential and expect a play off run. Trey is the future but Jimmy puts the team in the best position to win now.

if the season is lost by week 9 or 10, then sure, throw the keys to trey and let him get the rookie mistakes out. but until then, i'm not mailing it in after just 3 weeks.

on a non-QB related note, is it me or does this team seem to have no vocal leader on either side of the ball? Warner and Kittle are the best at their positions but they don't seem to set the tone or bring out the energy in the team the way Sherm and Kwon did during that 2019 season

Last night was typical Jimmy. Some good plays, and some bonehead plays. Teams know how to beat us: stack the box and dare Jimmy to throw deep. Unless Jimmy and Kyle can conjure up chunk plays, it’s going to be tough sledding. His passing chart from last night says it all. Compound that with the fact our running backs are trash, it’s not going to look good.

Like I said earlier, RPO/Read Option + Mike McDaniel’s run game wrinkles + Kyle’s play action stunts with Trey would be DEVASTATING.

Yes, insufferable. You're blaming the L on a guy who put us in position to win. Jerry Rice once said "Great players aren't always great, they're great when they need to be." Jimmy is not a great QB, no argument there. But he was great when he needed to be. And, no, I would not be as critical of the secondary if we won. Why? Because despite getting burned all night it meant they did what they needed to for us to secure a W. But they didn't. Would I be as critical of the run game as I am today? No. Why? Because Jimmy made up for their complete lack of production. The bottom line is Jimmy got us the lead and put us in a very favorable position and the defense completely choked.

Show me one post where I am blaming only him for the loss. There is plenty of it to go around. But Jimmy absolutely shares in this L.

Quick question, why the **** do some people think they know more than Shanny and the coaching staff? My apologies if you are apart of the staff and at practices and in meetings :lol:

We’ve inquired about Brady, Stafford and Rodgers the past couple offseasons to improve the play at QB yet you guys think we have someone on the team better than Jim that the coaching staff and organization are just letting sit? Do i have that right?

Edit—and I cant wait for Trey to be ready and take over but I’m trusting the coaches that he’s not ready just yet, his time is coming. Jimmy’s gotta be better, no doubt but jeeesus this thread and twitter are weird. Most dont know **** other than Trey can throw the ball hard and may be able to scramble (sound familiar?) and thats enough :lol:

Last edited:
moiety moiety My position is not necessarily that Trey is better than Jimmy right now, nor is it that he should necessarily be starting right now (On record saying after the bye). So no, I dont think I know better than Shanahan. Here are some of my opinions:

-You only get so much better by sitting. And experience is the thing Trey lacks most.

-The offense that Jimmy is currently running isnt some super advanced, high level throws type offense. Look at the pass chart. Most of the pass attempts are in a box in the middle of the field. Nothing on the sidelines, nothing downfield, just nothing but short, safe throws. Most of Jimmy's completions are to WIDE OPEN receivers (havent seen this weeks update but after week 2, our WRs had the highest separation on completions in the NFL, per PFF). Is it that hard to believe that Trey Lance couldnt replicate what Jimmy is doing here?

-The "growing pains" and mistakes that he would make will NOT be the same thing as you are seeing with other rookie QBs. They are all on trash teams. Trey would have by far the best supporting cast. And lets be real here. Jimmy makes tons of "rookie" mistakes too. Even with potential mistakes from Trey, I dont see the dropoff being incedibly dramatic, and there are actually aspects of offense that would immediately improve.

-Until we fix our secondary and get our running game back (the latter I expect with Wilson, the former I dont expect at all), I dont see this as a Superbowl contending team. I think its like a 10-7 team. So why not get the future of our franchise some much needed experience?

Its not that I hate Jimmy. I just dont think he is anything special. Jimmy is almost never the reason we win a game.

moiety moiety My position is not necessarily that Trey is better than Jimmy right now, nor is it that he should necessarily be starting right now (On record saying after the bye). So no, I dont think I know better than Shanahan. Here are some of my opinions:

-You only get so much better by sitting. And experience is the thing Trey lacks most.

-The offense that Jimmy is currently running isnt some super advanced, high level throws type offense. Look at the pass chart. Most of the pass attempts are in a box in the middle of the field. Nothing on the sidelines, nothing downfield, just nothing but short, safe throws. Most of Jimmy's completions are to WIDE OPEN receivers (havent seen this weeks update but after week 2, our WRs had the highest separation on completions in the NFL, per PFF). Is it that hard to believe that Trey Lance couldnt replicate what Jimmy is doing here?

-The "growing pains" and mistakes that he would make will NOT be the same thing as you are seeing with other rookie QBs. They are all on trash teams. Trey would have by far the best supporting cast. And lets be real here. Jimmy makes tons of "rookie" mistakes too. Even with potential mistakes from Trey, I dont see the dropoff being incedibly dramatic, and there are actually aspects of offense that would immediately improve.

-Until we fix our secondary and get our running game back (the latter I expect with Wilson, the former I dont expect at all), I dont see this as a Superbowl contending team. I think its like a 10-7 team. So why not get the future of our franchise some much needed experience?

Its not that I hate Jimmy. I just dont think he is anything special. Jimmy is almost never the reason we win a game.

okay thats fair (also i wasnt directing my post at you or any single person) i agree with a lot of the points you made but I do think we can win with Jim. Completely agree that Trey is in a good spot unlike other highly drafted rookie QB’s BUT I think it’s a great thing that he is able to sit back and learn right now.

just to be clear I’m excited for Trey to take over but I’m just gona trust Shanny and them to make that decision. Jimmy has to be better though I completely agree. At the end of the day the Packers played a pretty damn good game whereas we looked a bit off/shakey a lot of times and still had the lead with 37 seconds. Gotta clean some things up (questionable PI calls on 3rd down as well) and that’s a dub

Ok let's say Jimny doesn't fumble late in the 4th and we win.

Doesn't change the fact the secondary and Jimmy were both severely lacking and mediocre.

Even if we won last night, we still get beat by TB, the Rams, the Cards, the Bills, probably KC, and heck maybe the 3-0 Raiders whose QB is playing LIGHTS OUT while their starting RB has missed most of the games.

And LV beat Bal, Mia, and Pit - all playoff level teams - while having an average defense LOL. Yes, Carr is their MVP no doubt cause he's Fearless and he knows how to make his receivers better.

To put things in better perspective, the 49ers ain't Super Bowl contenders til we get Lights Out play at QB. And certainly not with this defense and secondary. Buckner and team leader Sherm ain't here. Let's not underestimate these two very big factors.

Trey gives us the best chance to get to the SB. Yes he is, no question now that I see what Jimmy bringing. It's not like this dude playing his first three games as a 49er lol. We know Jimmy has reached his ceiling, simple as that.

There's a reason Kyle put Trey in to score our first TD right before halftime down 0-17. We were on the verge of getting blown out and Kyle was DESPERATE for any kind of momentum. More importantly he didn't trust Jimmy. That speaks volumes. I wouldnt be shocked if Trey starts vs Seattle or vs AZ at the soonest.

Last edited:
I see both sides on this one. I think the 49ers situation is a bit complicated in that they have a veteran win now team. I’ve even seen some view this season as a run it back type season after the injury filled 2020 debacle. Coaches coach and players play, but if they make the switch in the first half the season, that’s a move geared more toward having Trey learn on the job and ideally take that step forward in year 2.

I’m sure Shanny and those guys, both coaches and players see what they see everyday in practice in terms of both Jimmy and Trey. If/when they feel Trey is ready, they’ll make the switch. Now if the 49ers can keep winning and Jimmy doesn’t stink it up, he’s going to buy himself some time. But I’m sure that leash is short. If they lose these next two divisional games, I could see the scenario where they make they switch going into the bye.

Jimmy ultimately has his ceiling and limitations. At the same time he’s 26-9 or so as a starter. Obviously that’s not all because of him, but they’ve proven to be capable of winning games with him. I know a lot of people, myself included have compared the Trey/Jimmy dynamic to Mahomes/Alex Smith with the 2017 Chiefs where.

I see it as more of a 2018 Ravens Lamar Jackson/Joe Flacco type scenario. Lamar Jackson got drafted to the best situation out of all the qb’s from that draft class. Got to start when Flacco got hurt when they were 4-5 and took the job, they won their division and made the playoffs. I could see something similar happening with Trey when/if they make the switch.

We are going against 9 man boxes. Teams dont respect Jimmy going over the top! Our RB room is slim. How you supposed to run with 9 in the box?

Its not Jimmys fault we lost but lets see what Lance can do. At the very least the running game will improve. Teams will not have safetys 10 yards away from LOS

Aaron Banks, Trey Sermon and Ambry Thomas all look like terrible picks.

Mitchell was drafted 3 rounds after Sermon.
Lenoir was drafted 2 rounds behind Thomas.

QFE. Would we really be here today calling for Jimmy to be benched if we won?

(Jimmy did his job) + (Defense didn't) = Bring in Trey. Make it make sense.

Yes. To be honest Jimmy has been nothing but a game manager who has been entirely reliant on the YAC ability of our receivers. He had a 4 yard aDot against the Eagles and packers. I think people are highly underestimating how difficult that is to do. We are second to last in the NFL in air yards and it’s difficult to rely on a run game where your fourth option is now your only option. If Lance can’t do this:

7E6D3D14-C24B-46B3-9E2F-382A64A5119C.jpeg

Then why did we pick him? If we are going to trot a QB out there to do nothing but throw wr screens and slants the why not put Lance out there who will at least help with the run game? At this point Jimmy is just a low level game manager and that worked when we had the best defense in the league but we don’t have that anymore. This team had the good fortune of playing probably two of the worst teams in the NFL right off the bat. We aren’t going to have scheduling good fortune when the division games start

Jimmy was sacked 4 times. The WR corps ran 10-15 yard routes and their QB was under duress for a good amount of his dropbacks. And GB ran 2 high safeties and dared the running game to beat them, they didn't.
No, the wr corps run 10-15 (maybe 7-12) yard routes every game. Not just this one against gb. Yes, he was sacked 4 times. But there was also a huge chunk of the game were he had a lot of time. He just isn't good. He consistently throws into coverage no matter how much time he has. If it weren't for the great catches under duress by the wr corps, there's no telling how much they would've lost by.

Jimmy G has throw 7 passes this year that were more than 15 yards which would be good enough for second to last in the NFL on a per game basis right next to Andy Dalton. Why do we think Lance can’t do this as well while also adding an element in the ground?

05814B61-4684-4A53-81E9-EB8C40C22334.png

Jimmy G has throw 7 passes this year that were more than 15 yards which would be good enough for second to last in the NFL on a per game basis right next to Andy Dalton. Why do we think Lance can’t do this as well while also adding an element in the ground?

Thank you. Jimmy has hit his ceiling… 2 years ago. We have too many scared to death fans in this thread. It’s time to take that leap and move the franchise forward.

Interesting that Cousins and Jimmy both at 7% on their deep rate while pretty much everyone else save for Fields, Dalton, and Ryan are above 10%. These the 2 Shanahan "favorites " lol

What I like about Lance is although he's a great runner, he seems to have a pass-first mentality

Yes, let’s throw out a rookie QB who doesn’t understand NFL schemes, has only played in one game in 2 years, has less than 20 starts, has less than 320 pass attempts, and has to master arguably the most complex playbook in the NFL…all because of your hate for Jimmy.

He’s. Not. Ready.

Back
Top Bottom