:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Season Thread [2-2 vs Cardinals 10/07 1:05PST]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
eating lots of lentils, beans, and vegan-friendly ***** 
glasses.gif

day 2 of camp!

Up to the league to reinstate him. They could take their time. After being reinstated, the niners still have to open up a spot on 90-man roster for him.
I know it was a few days ago, but remember when I said Anthony Davis would be fully reinstated by first practice? Looks like I was right. I think because his retirement was related to restoring his health and spirit they fastlaned him through the process. Players who reinstate for conduct policy violations are usually a lot slower to be reinstated. 

Last edited:

Eric Branch  ‏@Eric_Branch   4h4 hours ago

#49ers DC Jim O'Neil said he'd prefer for CB Jimmie Ward to stay outside, not move to slot in nickel package.
it's surprising that jim o'neil insists on jimmie ward playing the field corner position. not sure i am fond of this idea. i think there's a huge mismatch to be created there, especially when you're dialing up a lot of blitzes and leaving your corner guys manned up on an island with little to no help over the top.

Last edited:
In my book I would still put the Kaep vs Blaine QB battle at 50-50. Gabs looked a little better the first day completing one more pass with no interceptions but that's not much of a difference and now Gabs was picked off by Ward so they're tied up at interceptions. Ward's interception was also a pick-6. Kaep looked sharp with the 2nd team but only completed 6 passes with the 1st team. 

Reports are that Kaep looked much sharper and more mentally prepared today but did not attempt a deep pass. My hope is that once Kaep settles back in and feels more comfortable he'll unleash that canon arm we saw back in 2012. Considering how much muscle he has gained back I would not put it out of his wheelhouse. Blaine has looked good as usual on short passes and checkdowns though so he may be Chip's man... May the best QB win! 

Last edited:
Ryan Sakamoto noted that Dial will stay at DE, and Mike Purcell is the favorite to win the NT position. He said our base, as of right now, is Dial, Purcell and Buckner.

What about Arik?
Armstead looked good today. Per 49ers reporting:

Armstead had a very nice practice on Monday. In the opening team period, San Francisco's 2015 first-round pick blew up two running plays in the backfield. On Hyde's first carry, Armstead was through the offensive line and in his face the instant he took the handoff. Armstead ended the period with another run stop behind the line of scrimmage, giving him three so far in camp. 

i still have my reservations about new DC Jim O'Neil, but I sure like what he had to say at the podium today. Says all the right things ie not forcing guys into scheme, molding scheme around players, best players play regardless, implementing elements of Lord Fangio's scheme, etc.

Last edited:
Kaepernick still has terrible throwing mechanics. I saw a couple throws he made today, and he still has that looping windup in his release. I wonder what an overly meticulous coach like Chip thinks about his fundamentals.

I am ready. I need to get myself a niners avi.

Losing Ian Williams is a huge blow though
It's definitely a big blow. He was the main cog in our run defense.

the young uzo Mike Purcell showed flashes last season, so he'll plug right in. Ian doesn't really play much in sub packages, and with the addition of Defo, Blair and Dorsey returning from the DL, I think DL is by far our strongest position group. We should be good.

Garrison "G-Baby" Smith and Darren Lake are two names to keep an eye on. G-Baby was stout last pre-season, and Lake is a big ol' 330 lbs 'Bama boy.

Last edited:
going to do another one of these for bruce ellington. it's going to take a lot longer, tho. going to pull some gamecock and philly film. bruce shares some attributes with jeremy maclin. i think he could fill a similar role. 
nerd.gif

maclintd.0.gif

[h1]WHY DONTAE JOHNSON IS THE 49ERS’ BEST YET LEAST TALKED ABOUT CORNERBACK[/h1]
by RED81@NT

Dontae Johnson is coming into his fourth year in the league. In spite of showing a lot of promise whenever he’s been on the field, Dontae Johnson has found himself relegated to the bench. It’s perplexing quandary since Jim Harbaugh heavily recruited him back at Stanford, and for whatever reasons, he was never given a chance to play during his tenure. Coincidentally, he also wasn't necessarily an "ideal" fit for Eric Mangini's spot-dropping zone scheme, so again, he rarely saw the field. As I've stated time and time again, you cannot carve out a niche for yourself in the NFL if you’re never presented with a legitimate opportunity. I am still high on this 24-year-old young man, and I believe with Chip Kelly taking over the reigns, Dontae Johnson will finally get his chance and force his way into the starting lineup. Coach Kelly covets big, long cornerbacks in his secondary, and Dontae Johnson fits the bill at 6’2” and 200 lbs. New defensive coordinator, Jim O’Neil, will be dialing up a myriad of exotic blitz packages and running coverage concepts that leave the cornerbacks isolated on the edges. A big, physical cornerback that can upset the timing and release of a wide receiver at the line of scrimmage can provide his defensive line and blitzers with that extra second or two needed to get after the quarterback. This is precisely why I believe Dontae Johnson will force his way onto the field this season. I’m going to highlight a couple of Dontae’s plays that stand out:
[h2]DISCIPLINE, PLAY RECOGNITION AND PLAY-MAKING ABILITY[/h2]
This play is from the 2014 seasons versus the St. Louis Rams. It takes place during the final drive of the game. The 49ers are playing cover 2 with pattern-matching principles underneath on the right half of the field.

deep.jpg

Chris Cook is playing on the outside and Dontae Johnson is inside over the slot. Vic Fangio utilized a lot of pattern reading principles in his defense that required alert and disciplined players. Depending on what the offense does, these principles allow the coverage to switch from man to zone and vice versa on the fly. The 49ers’ defensive backs are clueing in on the #2 inside receiver. If the inside receiver’s release and stem leads to an inside or vertical release inside the numbers, Dontae Johnson assumes responsibility for that man with man coverage. However, if he runs a route that goes outside, Dontae’s responsibility switches to an underneath zone, and subsequently, his outside teammate is now responsible for the slot receiver. Antoine Bethea has deep half responsibility, but he is also clueing the #2 inside receiver.

The Rams are running a high-low smash concept variation on the right side, so the #2 inside receiver will run a corner or out route--an outside release--and the #1 outside receiver will run a hitch or shallow dig--an inside release. The Rams’ quarterback is making a coverage read on the play. This means he is reading the defenders and not going through progressions. His decision will be predicated on the reaction of the defenders. After the ball is snapped, Dontae sinks back following the stem of the receiver. He recognizes that the inside #2 receiver is releasing outside, trusts his eyes, and immediately crashes the underneath zone. He clicks, closes, and makes a play on the ball. The result is a pick-six that seals the victory.

IllustriousChillyIberianbarbel.0.gif
TatteredHarmoniousAlpineroadguidetigerbeetle.gif

This is play demonstrates Dontae Johnson’s awareness, discipline, and play recognition. He maintained scheme integrity, trusted his eyes, and made a great play that sealed the victory. Beautiful work by the young cornerback.
[h2]TECHNIQUE, SKILLS and FORTITUDE [/h2]
In this play, Dontae Johnson is opposite one of the league’s premier wide receivers in Julio Jones. At 6'3" and 220 lbs, Julio Jones is a big wide receiver that presents many physical problems for defenders, especially in goal line situation where he can use his size to go up and win contested jump balls. However, Dontae Johnson is 6’2”, 200 lbs, and has the physical tools to match Julio’s size.

The 49ers are in their short field defense against Atlanta. It's press-man technique, so Dontae Johnson is lined up a yard off his receiver. He’s squared to his target and eyes are locked on Julio Jone’s hips. Fundamentals are in check. Dontae Johnson shows patience at the snap of the ball. He doesn’t lunge or open up his hips early. He waits to clue the receiver for either a inside or outside release. He sniffs out the outside release for corner fade. He stifles Julio Jone’s release by jamming the inside shoulder while simultaneously opening his own hips and moving his feet to preserve inside leverage. The play call is indeed a corner fade for Julio Jones. Johnson squeezes Julio to the boundary, turns his head, and makes a play on the ball at it’s highest point. 

xTiTnmVE4QnTE3DzSE.0.gif

Dontae Johnson’s excellent size allows him to make a play on the 50/50 ball and bat it down. Excellent technique to complement the skills and physical tools that Chip Kelly covets in his cornerbacks. Despite being matched up on an island with one of the best wide receivers in the league, he didn't panic or play frantic. He stayed calm, controlled and played to his strengths. The 49ers new defensive coordinator, Jim O’Neil, favors press-man coverages, so this particular play is especially important. This is what we’ll be seeing a lot of this season, so Dontae Johnson is prime candidate to play a major role in the defense. The dichotomy between these two plays illuminates the scheme flexibility of Dontae Johnson. I want to highlight one more snap from the 2015 game against Atlanta.
[h2]OPEN-FIELD SPEED, AWARENESS AND MORE FLASHES OF PLAY-MAKING PROWESS[/h2]
This play is taken from the same game against the Atlanta Falcons. The 49ers show a cover 2 look before the snap, but roll coverage to cover 3 post-snap.

cover_3.jpg

Dontae Johnson is showing soft man technique on the bottom, but he is bailing to his deep third zone at the snap. The Atlanta Falcons call for zone beater concept that splits the deep thirds down the seam. However, as Dontae Johnson is bailing to his zone, he is simultaneously reading the quarterback's eyes and clueing in on where the ball is going. He recognizes the seam pattern, and diverts from his zone. He attacks the ball and nearly makes the interception. My coach used to call this controlled recklessness. It’s when you divert from your assignment in a disciplined and controlled manner because you attempt to make a play on something you recognize.

xTiTnEIXsiuibBozrW.0.gif

This play illustrates the type of speed and athleticism that Dontae Johnson has for a man his size, and is especially important because this is also a type of coverages Jim O'Neil will be dialing up this season.

The sample size is small, but I’ve seen too much potential when presented with an opportunity to disregard Dontae Johnson as a player. I could break down plays all day, but these particular plays are succinct examples of why I remain high on Dontae Johnson. He features excellent size, tremendous football intelligence and has demonstrated proper aptitude that is conducive to our new defensive scheme, and I believe he has the potential to be a really good outside cornerback. He is one of many young and talented but unproven players on our roster that should continue to develop and prove their worth with adequate playing opportunity under the new coaching regime.

Last edited:

Kevin Jones  ‏@Mr_KevinJones   3m3 minutes agoSanta Clara, CA

Blaine Gabbert looking pretty sharp in 11-on-11s, hit Torrey Smith for a 50-yard TD on Jimmie Ward. Colin Kaepernick looks shaky today

Ryan Sakamoto  ‏@SakamotoRyan   38m38 minutes ago

#49ers QB Colin Kaepernick throws intended pass to DiAndre Campbell on out-route. Had no chance. Ball sail out of bounds. #49ersBeastWriter

Ryan Sakamoto  ‏@SakamotoRyan   40m40 minutes ago

One day after getting burned by Jerome Simpson, Dontae Johnson records deep INT off Kap in 1-on-1 drills. #49ersBeastWriter #SpotSakamoto

Last edited:
The writing is on the wall.

All I see is the sun shining on the horizon, with a 7torm fading away.

Last edited:
I've been sold on dontae for a long time. I remember being perplexed as to why they didn't play him more last season.

he must be a terrible practice player. only explanation i can think of as to why he doesn't get starts.

Last edited:
[h1]49ers training camp report, Day 3: The emergence of the third quarterback[/h1]
SANTA CLARA – Here’s who stood out to me during the third day of training camp.

THE GOOD

1. WR Quinton Patton. The best wide receiver on the field today. Caught three passes during team drills (4 on 3, 7 on 7 and 11 on 11). Beat Jimmie Ward once with a quick curl route. Also beat zone coverage (Cover 2) once with a deep catch down the left sideline. Seems much more effective when he’s in space toward the edge of the field than when he’s in traffic over the middle.

2. CB Will Redmond. The backup slot cornerback during every team drill. Quarterbacks challenged him zero times in coverage for the third day in a row.

3. CB Dontae Johnson. Intercepted a deep, underthrown Colin-Kaepernick pass intended for Jerome Simpson during 1-on-1 drills.

4. OLB Tank Carradine. Broke up a pass intended for third-string slot receiver Bryce Treggs during 7 on 7s, and set a powerful edge against the run during 11 on 11s. Defensive coordinator Jim O’Neil was so impressed with Carradine’s run defense after one play, O’Neil ran onto the field and bumped chests with him.

5. RT Anthony Davis. Held his ground during 1-on-1 pass-rushing drills against the 49ers’ most powerful pass rusher – Arik Armstead. Davis won every matchup.

6. TE Vance McDonald. Caught five passes and dropped none during team drills while primarily running shallow crossing routes and deep corner routes. The Niners clearly want use his speed and get him into “space,” which is the smart way to use him. McDonald can’t catch passes in traffic.

7. TE Je’Ron Hamm. Caught four passes and dropped none during team drills while primarily running stick routes and seam routes. Hamm was by far the most reliable tight end today at catching passes in tight areas.

8. ILB Nick Bellore. Broke up two throws over the middle which Kaepernick telegraphed. Both times, Bellore stared at Kaepernick while Kaepernick stared down his intended target, then broke on the pass while Kaepernick still was going through his elongated windup.

9. QB Jeff Driskel. Completed 11-of-14 passes with the third-team offense and made the throw of the day. Torrey Smith was running a corner route against Cover 2 zone defense. Driskel threw the pass before Smith made his break, the ball floated over leaping cornerback Keith Reaser, who was covering a zone in the flat, and hit Smith’s hands before the safety could run over and knock it down. Perfect throw. Do you think Driskel will start a game next season?

10. QB Colin Kaepernick. Attempted 16 passes while playing with the starters, and completed 17 of his 25 throws during team drills. Completed a deep pass to DeAndrew White while taking a shot from DeForest Buckner, who knocked Kaepernick on his back. The coaches said nothing. They clearly seemed more interested in Buckner’s hit than Kaepernick’s safety. I wonder why?

11. QB Blaine Gabbert. Completed 17 of his 26 passes during team drills, including a deep touchdown pass to Torrey Smith. This was the second day in a row Gabbert threw a deep TD pass.

THE NOT SO GOOD

1. CB Rashard Robinson. Gave receivers too much cushion most of practice. Got beat once by Eric Rogers who was running a deep hook route, once Aaron Burbridge who was running a slant and once by DeAndrew White who also was running a slant. At one point during practice defensive backs coach Jeff Hafley walked over to Robinson to say something to him. Robinson seemed to blow him off and walk away.

2. CB Jimmie Ward. Gave up one catch to Eric Rogers who was running a deep out route. Gave up another catch to Quinton Patton who was running a quick curl route. And gave up a third catch to Torrey Smith who burned Ward with a simple post route. Ward seemed lost all day.

3. TE Blake Bell. Dropped two easy passes during team drills and caught zero. Has shown no improvement as a receiver since last season.

4. DC Jim O’Neil. Routinely made his outside linebackers cover wide receivers man to man downfield. On any given play you’d see Aaron Lynch, Ahmad Brooks, Eli Harold, Corey Lemonier or Tank Carradine flailing around downfield with their backs to the quarterback. Using these players in man coverage is a terrible strategy, and a prime example of a coach sticking to his system instead of adjusting to the talents of his players. Sinful.

Regarding the QB battle....Seems like there are conflicting reports and beat writers may be reporting with bias...

Read something today that at one point Gabbert was 6/12 with 3 passes in a row batted down. Kap 7/11. Gabbert had the offensive play of the day but it seems like what Kap does wrong is more widely reported.
Gabbert does have the advantage being that he did get to throw all spring and this is Kap's 3rd day throwing. Really going to go down preseason performance IMO

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom