:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Season Thread [NFC CHAMPIONS]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Shaq Thompson would be better suited for a 4-3.

I am sure he could transition to inside 3-4, but we've already got a playing time problem coming up. borland will likely be riding the bench next season.

Last edited:
 So I spent the last couple days re-visiting every snap of DGB I could find online(not the highlight ****, and I came to the conclusion that this guy would be a horrible pick in the 1st round:

1.) EFFORT - This dude plays with no ferocity at all when he has to block and he's on the backside of the play concept. He often just gives up on his assignment unless the play is to his side.

2.) SOFT - Gets redirected too easily for a guy that is 6'5 230lbs. Will struggle to get clean releases vs big, physical press corners backs in the NFCW. Teams in college feared his speed and the spread mizzou used, so he saw a ton of off coverage; however, nobody is scared in the NFCW. YAC(yards after contact) are almost non-existent. I saw dude consistently go down to arm tackles. 

3.) BALL SKILLS -  This right here is the deal breaker for me. This guy does a horrible job at competing for 50/50 balls(contested passes), especially balls that need to be high pointed. Lack of persistence, effort and ferocity - common theme here...He doesn't have a very big catch radius for a guy that is 6'5 and has a huge height advantage over his opponents. He had a 33" vertical and short 32" arms at the combine; it shows in the film too. Fails to consistently extend those arms and naturally resorts to letting the ball get deep into his body.

4.) Too raw - routes are raw, often rounded and he doesnt know how to sell them or set them up. He needs a ton of work and coaching.

all this is nothing without a few examples:

:38 - BEAUTIFUL on this skinny post! This is EXACTLY what I want to see from a dude his size. Excellent job of using his size and going up and GRABBING THAT ****. Impose your will on that little ****** DB. He had no chance vs that huge 6'5, 230lbs frame with all the inside leverage controlled by DGB. With that said, you can't draft in the first round based off of inconsistent flashes....

4:12 - 3-yard slant. horrible job of selling the route(no head fake, no stutter) and fails to utilize his size advantage to deter defender and control the inside by boxing out DB. Needs to  grab that ball and not let it come to him.

4:30 - good example of #3 and inability on 50/50 balls. You're 6'5, but a DB that is a foot shorter is shoulder to shoulder on the jump ball.

5:17 - back corner fade. Sound familiar? Look familiar? Throw appeared overthrown initially, but on replay you can clearly see it was clearly catchable. DGB is tentative as the ball is in the air, bad timing on his jump and shows off that sad 33" vertical from the combine. He basically let the much smaller DB dictate how the play unfolded. #1 and #3 again.

I didn't even mention his off the field concerns.

The reason Kelvin Benjamin started growing on me late was because I was surprise by his ability to high point the ball and his huuuuuge catch radius.

Conclusion: **** NO TO DGB IN THE 1st. The only game I noticed where he completely took over was against Kentucky where he dominated the midgets assigned to him. I like his height and his ability with the ball in his hand in the open field. If you give this guy a free release or cushion he will EAT it up in a hurry. He is really fast for a guy his size. He doesn't have bad hands at all(pretty good actually), but it's his innate catching approach of letting the ball get deep that worries me. Not a 1st round pick and more likely to be Jon Baldwin 2.0 than Megatron 2.0.

Last edited:
we would be ******.

i would trade away our draft for kevin white.

tongue.gif

i am blown away by red's analysis of DGB. bruh, please tell me you get paid for your football insight

i wonder if we'll shift to more man coverage with Mangini as DC? Eric Mangini is the man who drafted the best corner in the game in darelle revis. Can he find that guy again?

As of today and at pick 15, I like Danny Shelton, Trae Waynes, or Arik Armstead.

My second round pick is and has been set in stone. I want Devin Smith.

Last edited:
i wonder if we'll shift to more man coverage with Mangini as DC? Eric Mangini is the man who drafted the best corner in the game in darelle revis. Can he find that guy again?

As of today and at pick 15, I like Danny Shelton, Trae Waynes, or Arik Armstead.

My second round pick is and has been set in stone. I want Devin Smith.

how do yall feel about our secondary playing more press coverage? i know it leaves us vulnerable to big plays, but Ive lost count trying to figure out how many times our soft, 5 to 7 yard cushions got us killed on third and shorts this season. not to mention, qbs working the middle of the field against our zone.

i hope Mangini moves to man coverage. assuming the dline is able to generate even more pressure with a full season of 99 and 59 together, i have full confidence that a secondary featuring cox, dontae, reid, and antoine could fare well. if there's one thing i really like about 3 out of 4 of them is that they seem to have good hands for defensive players. rarely see them drop easy INTs

Last edited:
I just wish we had some nastiness in our secondary.. like an enforcer. I miss Goldson and Whitner sometimes, although they cant tackle for ****. Lol

whos down to bring back the hawk on the cheap????

The Bucs are expected to release S Dashon Goldson this offseason.

The Bucs signed Goldson to a $41.25M contract that included $22M guaranteed in March of 2013. He was PFF's No. 81 safety among 86 qualifiers in 2013 and No. 86 among 87 qualifiers in 2014. Dumping the 31-year-old (in September) Goldson will save the Bucs half of his $8M 2015 cap number. Jan 26 - 9:20 AM

Last edited:
Mannn I'd love to have Goldson back for the right price, easily one of my favorite players during the Harbaugh era.

Didnt he come by our facility last year while the Bucs were on their bye? Or was it because he was suspended for a hit :lol:

Mannn I'd love to have Goldson back for the right price, easily one of my favorite players during the Harbaugh era.

Didnt he come by our facility last year while the Bucs were on their bye? Or was it because he was suspended for a hit :lol:

Oh yeah haha

Back
Top Bottom