:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Thanks for the tips! I used some rubbing alcohol on the patent leather and it removed the film that had developed over the years. I also put some black magic tire wet on the patent to bring the shine back and it did just that! Wow.

Originally Posted by CelticsFan9783

Spilled a bit of Skoal dip spit on my White/Cement III laces. If I throw them in the wash, will they get real screwed up? Never put laces in the wash before.

they'll be fine. i put mine in a pillow case just so that the laces don't tangle up anything in the washing machine.

This thread is definitely too long to be helpful at this point...

And so on to my questions...my apologies in advance if this has already been asked/answered.

I've seen several comments in other threads about the importance of oxygen circulation, especially for longterm storage. I've seen pix of people's kicks that basically disintegrated from being plastic-wrapped. Most of the Jordan retro boxes have small holes along the lid, which would obviously be helpful for air circulation. But the new box for the III's (well, the "new" old box...the 2-piece box...u know what I'm talkin bout) don't have holes in them...

Is that no bueno for my kicks??

Also...My kicks are stacked pretty high up at this point...about 12-18 inches away from my ceiling. Is being close to the lightbulb also no bueno for the kicks that are on the top of my shelves??

Originally Posted by Yung Lo HEAD

I got black marks on my varsity 6's, on the red part. What to remove it with i tried alcohol but didn't work 

serious any help? I tried magic eraser also no luck

Originally Posted by apthekid

And so on to my questions...my apologies in advance if this has already been asked/answered.

I've seen several comments in other threads about the importance of oxygen circulation, especially for longterm storage. I've seen pix of people's kicks that basically disintegrated from being plastic-wrapped. Most of the Jordan retro boxes have small holes along the lid, which would obviously be helpful for air circulation. But the new box for the III's (well, the "new" old box...the 2-piece box...u know what I'm talkin bout) don't have holes in them...

Also...My kicks are stacked pretty high up at this point...about 12-18 inches away from my ceiling. Is being close to the lightbulb also no bueno for the kicks that are on the top of my shelves??

To answer your question, it really doesn't matter if the rubber or synethic rubber is exposed to air or not. Unfortunately, no matter what we do to protect sneakers all of them will start to degrade
naturally at approximately five years of age. What you want to do is take precautions so you do not "accelerate" the breakdown of the materials.

Ozone and sunlight are our biggest concerns and the main catalysts for accelerated degradation of rubbers. To eliminate ozone you need to eliminate the air source. The best practice would be to 
store your sneakers in airtight plasic bags (with moisture absorbers) in a cool, dark environment. Use moisture absorbers that change color over time alerting you they need replacement.

Unfortunately, no matter what we do to protect our prized sneakers, they will degrade regardless of what we do. We can only use common sense practices to extend the life. 
So no air (oxone), no moisture, moderate ambient temperatures and no sunlight.

It's my opinion the light generated from the light bulbs will not effect the sneakers as long as they are boxed.  
Try not to stack the sneakers too high (especially in closets) as the higher you go the hotter it is.Heat rises, remember that!
If you don't believe me get a ladder and put your head near the ceiling and feel the heat.

Also, the closet should be air conditioned or well ventilated, otherwise the moisture in the air (humidity) will cause bacteria to form on the surface of the leather, commonly known as "dry-rot".

To answer your question, it really doesn't matter if the rubber or synethic rubber is exposed to air or not. Unfortunately, no matter what we do to protect sneakers all of them will start to degrade
naturally at approximately five years of age. What you want to do is take precautions so you do not "accelerate" the breakdown of the materials.

Ozone and sunlight are our biggest concerns and the main catalysts for accelerated degradation of rubbers. To eliminate ozone you need to eliminate the air source. The best practice would be to 
store your sneakers in airtight plasic bags (with moisture absorbers) in a cool, dark environment. Use moisture absorbers that change color over time alerting you they need replacement.

Unfortunately, no matter what we do to protect our prized sneakers, they will degrade regardless of what we do. We can only use common sense practices to extend the life. 

It's my opinion the light generated from the light bulbs will not effect the sneakers as long as they are boxed.  
Try not to stack the sneakers too high (especially in closets) as the higher you go the hotter it is.Heat rises, remember that!
If you don't believe me get a ladder and put your head near the ceiling and feel the heat.

Also, the closet should be air conditioned or well ventilated, otherwise the moisture in the air (humidity) will cause bacteria to form on the surface of the leather, commonly known as "dry-rot".

can someone help me, i got jean stains on the bordeaux tounge, the yellow part. was wearing bleeding levis and that happen on yellow, how can i clean it?

also, it seem like there is a pen line or something on the ice from the Wolf Grey V's the part you can see on the side in the front, any way i can remove that?

Just wondering if sea glow can help restore these soles of my '09's SJs? also, does anyone know what I can use to clean the upper mesh?
What can I use to literally clean everything off the soles, I tried using a regular household diswashing scrub, but it hardly does anything. And I'm not sure if any of you can see but what can also help take off the denim stains on the inner back part of the soles.

And lastly, can sea glow really help take the yellow coming out of my DS pair??
nerd.gif

Thanks NT fam!
happy.gif

Originally Posted by dankenstien88

THIS THREAD USED TO BE HELPFUL. NOW ITS WAY TOO LONG TO FIND ANYTHING EVEN WHEN USING THE SEARCH FEATURE. I VOTE FOR A SNEAKER MAINTENANCE FORUM. IM TIRED OF HELPFUL THREADS GETTING LOCKED AND MODS TELLING PEOPLE TO TAKE IT HERE. I UNDERSTAND WHY THIS THREAD WAY CREATED BUT IT HAS GROWN WAY TOO BIG TO BE HELPFUL

THEREFOR AGAIN I VOTE FOR A SNEAKER MAINTENANCE FORUM...

WHO IS WITH ME ?

Not mad, just making sure this gets read.

I agree. Waaaaay to difficult to find answers in this thread.

I recently picked up a pair of vii's and there are a couple of white specks on the sides of the soles. Any way to remove these?

Originally Posted by NikeRider

I keep hearing VERY conflicting advice on this.  The idea of storing sneakers in air tight packaging, and/or using silcone packs as a means to absorb surrounding oxygen has been described as a VERY BAD idea.  I've seen people who have shrink-wrapped their shoes to keep them air tight, only to have them crumble years later when they were removed from the shrink-wrap.  And i literally mean "CRUMBLE"...as in into a dust.

It makes sense, kind of, that if you suffocate sneakers, they will deteriorate. 

But my biggest concern was the effect of artificial light on sneakers, which I think you adequately answered.  Thanks for that.  I will keep an eye on temperature arond my shoes...I may even cover that single light that's around my sneakers or get a colored, dimmer lightbulb.

Thanks again

For the SpaceJams:
-Yes SeaGlow will work for the DS pair. 

-It will also work with the used pair, as far as cleaning them, i would used a toothbrush and some toothpicks to take alot of that dirt off.

Originally Posted by MHT214

For the SpaceJams:
-Yes SeaGlow will work for the DS pair. 

-It will also work with the used pair, as far as cleaning them, i would used a toothbrush and some toothpicks to take alot of that dirt off.

Thanks bro, very helpful.

I've seen a lot of people throw there laces in the washing machine and in some cases ruin them.
When cleaning my 00' Concords, found an amazing way to clean the laces. From dirt stains to completely white.
This is what you do:
-Get an Empty a water bottle.
-Put laces in the water bottle.
-Fill it about 1/2 way with HOT water.
-add laundry detergent and/or dish soap. (It works better if you mix the 2, but you could use either one.)
-Shake for about 10-15 minutes.
-Empty water bottle and rinse the laces.

Hope this helps some people.

I have a pair of Cool Grey XIs from 2000 in the price check forum (http://niketalk.com/topic/303860/master/1/) and I was wondering if the color of the patent leather looks a little off to anybody else. It seems to me that its a bit yellowed. Is there anyway I can go about fixing that? I have sea glow but I'm not sure if I should even try that. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by biglan4312

I have a pair of Cool Grey XIs from 2000 in the price check forum (http://niketalk.com/topic/303860/master/1/) and I was wondering if the color of the patent leather looks a little off to anybody else. It seems to me that its a bit yellowed. Is there anyway I can go about fixing that? I have sea glow but I'm not sure if I should even try that. Thanks in advance.

Yeah, they are discolored and will hurt the value.  DONT use seaglow on patent leather, will turn the patent leather blue.  I've cleaned dirt off my Concord XI's patent leather with Pledge furniture polish, not sure if it would help yellowing but you may have some lying around the house, worth a try.

Originally Posted by JJ Jumpman 23

Originally Posted by biglan4312

Yeah, they are discolored and will hurt the value.  DONT use seaglow on patent leather, will turn the patent leather blue.  I've cleaned dirt off my Concord XI's patent leather with Pledge furniture polish, not sure if it would help yellowing but you may have some lying around the house, worth a try.
Ok thanks a lot man. I'll see what i can find.

12026cc458686f0dfc1690d8dda8d435aa439964.jpg
69836bf8459467c0f86dfe7f64b4d86d50dd8e3f.jpg

I absolutely failed at cleaning my kobes.. i know these arent J's but can anyone help me remove these stains i inflicted upon by myself.. i used and oxiclean paste to clean the midsole, but i think some may have dripped and stained it.. actually it was probably the dirt from the midsole that stained the nubuck?? i have no clue, but anyways i used the paste on the nubuck to attempt to remove it and it got 100000x times worse, can anyone help me out here, im losing sleep that i just f'ed up hardcore one of my fav shoes to rock

edit: the water just dried out and the whole nubuck under the swoosh is discolored 
frown.gif

Originally Posted by CelticsFan9783

Spilled a bit of Skoal dip spit on my White/Cement III laces. If I throw them in the wash, will they get real screwed up? Never put laces in the wash before.

roll.gif
roll.gif
That's some funny $%#! Pouches or lung cut? My fave was Citrus Blend pouches, but they've been discontinued around here. I would think wash em, but hang dry. Don't quote me on that though.

on page 1 it says to use ARMOR ALL products on PL, as far as cars go, it is highly frowned upon to use. It is also said that the vinyl/rubber protectant, which makes the pl shine like glass, also dries out dashboards. This then helps the dashboard crack when hit by the sun. Does anyone know what the affects are on PL? I have decided to experiment on some old kid size space jams in hope to find out. If anyone has been using any tyoe of shinning product on their shoes for years, please let me know what kind of experiences youve had using them.

Back
Top Bottom