:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Any way to restore the color to the 7s suede material. These are from 2002, were cleaned after 2nd wear with jason markk [using suede brush] but the color seems to have faded a large amount. Any tips would be welcomed!

Any way to restore the color to the 7s suede material. These are from 2002, were cleaned after 2nd wear with jason markk [using suede brush] but the color seems to have faded a large amount. Any tips would be welcomed!
Using jason mark will fade suede. Theres nothing you can do now but to dye it

So I bought some Columbias from 96 off a lady for a steal, they are or were in pretty great condition, than I decided to WASH them with some oxyclean and rit whitening etc....well one of the creased on the patent leather is getting larger and now is noticeably just gone...so now they are screwed....I have seen people paint their patent leather, but does it take completely stripping the paint and repainting or painting over, and if so, which angelus? any thoughts, comments, tricks, greatly appreciated...

and also, how can I whiten the eyelets for the laces....rit seems to do nothing, that yellow seems permanent and the other side is almost gringy dark tooo....the rit I used was the powder mixed with hot water, is this making a difference than the already mixed rit? thanks in advance

Last edited:
Folks, the toecap on my jams came undone yesterday. I can give you pics, but just imagine the toecap sticking straight up inside ofbeing attached to the patent leather.

I have the barge cement in the blue tube, but have no idea how to clamp down on the toecap.  I've seen shoe laces used for the other parts of the sole being separated, but for the life of me cant figure out how to clamp down without possibly causing creases in the toebox.

Any help???

I personally hold it with my hands. Gets tiring but does better than shoe laces. Do small sections at a time if possible. To the point where you can hold pressure on the full area glued the whole time

So I bought some Columbias from 96 off a lady for a steal, they are or were in pretty great condition, than I decided to WASH them with some oxyclean and rit whitening etc....well one of the creased on the patent leather is getting larger and now is noticeably just gone...so now they are screwed....I have seen people paint their patent leather, but does it take completely stripping the paint and repainting or painting over, and if so, which angelus? any thoughts, comments, tricks, greatly appreciated...

and also, how can I whiten the eyelets for the laces....rit seems to do nothing, that yellow seems permanent and the other side is almost gringy dark tooo....the rit I used was the powder mixed with hot water, is this making a difference than the already mixed rit? thanks in advance
Don't take this the wrong way...but I think those are too far gone. It would be like trying to salvage Lamar Odom's career, or making Brittney Spears young again. It's just not gonna happen. The mesh got nice and white...but those eyelets are toast. Same with the patent leather. It's just too late man.

I personally hold it with my hands. Gets tiring but does better than shoe laces. Do small sections at a time if possible. To the point where you can hold pressure on the full area glued the whole time
Uhhh...never thought of that.  Appreciate it. Gonna give it a try.  Just gonna do like a thumbs worth at a time, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Uhhh...never thought of that.  Appreciate it. Gonna give it a try.  Just gonna do like a thumbs worth at a time, if that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense bro. That's exactly what you need to do for best results.
I've done large pieces all at once and held... but it didn't hold after 10-15 minutes cuz I was unable to apply actual pressure to all spots. Since, I've only covered small areas that my thumbs can hold down directly and results were much better

Don't take this the wrong way...but I think those are too far gone. It would be like trying to salvage Lamar Odom's career, or making Brittney Spears young again. It's just not gonna happen. The mesh got nice and white...but those eyelets are toast. Same with the patent leather. It's just too late man.

yeah i was kind of figuring that out....they will take 1000 times more work to restore and repaint than to jus wear to till they fall apart

what is good to clean the playoff 8s? my friend wants to know if he can use like regular shoe cleaner the foam stuff or does he need to use something else?

yeah i was kind of figuring that out....they will take 1000 times more work to restore and repaint than to jus wear to till they fall apart
Patent leather isnt real leather.. 

It's plastic.

I think you shouldn't of touched them if you had no experience with restoring yellowing on mesh.

The yellowing can be still removed i think. Since oxyclean is coarse, you did further damage to the shoes. There are shoe cleaners on the market for a reason. 

I've used it on two pairs of Jordan xvii and my pair of Nike spiridon and had great success. How long did you hold each area with pressure? And did you scrub the excess loose material prior to applying the barge cement?
I clamped it with shoe laces and paper towels for pressure. Left it for a whole day. I used alcohol to clean the glue and used a blade to scrape the glue off

by excess i meant old dried original glue, is that what you were referring to?
and i would suggest trying again holding the pressure by hand, not shoe strings

Don't know where to ask this but anyone know how to repair the suede area on the foamposite? Mines ripped smh

That's the one I got, bought from Amazon also. You might be able to find it at a local hobby/craft store. I saw e6000 at hobby lobby a few days ago but it doesn't hold as well as barge cement... from my experience

Back
Top Bottom