:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

I pick the hairs out with a tweezers,
how would I clean the inside of the shoe (disinfect)

If I want to go all out I pick the hairs out with tweezers, run a lint brush or tape along the insides to pick up other stuff, steam the insides (too much can cause midsole separation), and rub soap and water along the inner lining. Disinfectant can also work as a last step. Of course you also want to take the insoles out before all of that and scrub them with soap and water. Remove and wash the laces too.

Last edited:
Don't forget to use a lint shaver to remove the little lint balls. Can be purchased on eBay/Amazon for under $10

Can i use the same angelus leather paint to paint midsoles ? or do i need a different type

I've used Angelus on midsoles with no problem but make sure you use a finisher to protect the paint. I also recommend mixing Angelus duller in with your paint (maybe 10-20%) to get a true matte finish. It also depends on the midsole material and condition.

I've used Angelus on midsoles with no problem but make sure you use a finisher to protect the paint. I also recommend mixing Angelus duller in with your paint (maybe 10-20%) to get a true matte finish. It also depends on the midsole material and condition.
i want to repaint the midsole of my 06 Black 5's i was thinking of using flat black and satin acrylic finisher

Last edited:
i want to repaint the midsole of my 06 Black 5's i was thinking of using flat black and satin acrylic finisher

Just use Angelus black paint. I spot tested it on mine and it was fine. Use glossy finish.

Thanks for the prompt and elaborate reply !

I never knew soles separated from shoes in outdoor heat.  That really shocked me because I've felt I've left plenty of sneakers in hot cars, beaches, back porches for hours in the summer, that's why I was confused thinking it was the sauce,  but thanks for letting me know !

I have a handful of DS never worn sneakers with icy soles , plastic nets (like the Jordan 5s) , and white midsoles I'm looking to restore due to mild yellowing after many years of storage. I might decide to sell a few so I'm trying to do the most effective, cleanest job possible without messing up the regular appearance of the shoe in any way.

So airlegends and Angelus would be who you recommend most right ? Have you had any experience with Sea glow,  Salon Care 40, Traditional Retrobrite or any of the other common or popular methods ?  Which would you say is the most effective and safest (least traction lost) for my particular situation ?

I was thinking about going the SalonCare 40 + Oxy Clean route, maybe with a little corn starch to help thicken the sauce because all the ingredients are immediately accessible without me having to order anything.   Any idea if this sauce is as effective and relatively safe compared to the other sauces out there ?  Is traditional retrobrite better ?  I'm also still considering other sauces I'll have to order online like the ones you recommended.

Also do you have to be very careful in covering/protecting the parts of the sole you're not trying to unyellow ? like the non icy or non white ? Meaning do these sauces strip the color or visibly alter those parts ?

Thanks Again !

First thing first.......WEAR YOUR SHOES BRO!!!!!! Dont sit on them for years and then try to wear them. Some older shoes will crumble.

I've personally never used the salon care method but i've seen numerous vids and pics of that particular mix do great jobs. I just say use what you feel is better and most importantly can afford. No it doesn't really affect those colored areas. If you apply the sauce and some so happens to get on the colored midsole just take a damp towel and wipe off the excess. As far as the sole like the V (again this is what I do. to each his own) I just put the sauce on the parts that need to be iced, not the middle of the sole unless it's like the wolf greys and the whole sole is translucent. And the sauce worked on some colored soles for me too. On some kobe V draft days the teal sole started to yellow. I used the sauce on those and it took away the yellowing from those too.

Most of the stuff is fairly priced. As far as paint goes I use angelus. Haven't tried another brand yet but it is one that i will be trying soon but it's mainly used for airbrushing and is called Jacquard paint. Here's a link to King of Sneakers site (to the paint) http://www.kingofsneakers.com/JACQUARDAIRBRUSH.html This is a one stop shop for all things restorations and customs.

I've also sent out some kicks that I had others restore for me. They all have instagram bro. If you need me to lead you there way just let me know and I'll give you the insta names.

As I type this I just put out a pair of wolf grey V for a sole clearing session. The sun is out early in LA and im trying to get as much time in the sun before it gets too hot. This way I get maximum time on the sauce. All you need is sunlight. and also on the airlegends site there is a indoor set up for sole clearing. It's hand made and it cost a lot more but it's just as effective and I believe it would be worth the investment. Use it to make some side cash clearing friends and family members kicks. Thats what I do.

Here's a few names you can look up for restoration work if you want to outsource your kicks.

@raleighrestorations and here is his site for products http://www.raleighrestorations.com/
@vickalmighty
@johnandrew00
@nulifekicks
@doctor_soles
@tragik1993

All these guys do awesome work from general cleaning to repaint to sole separation and midsole swaps. Customs also.

damn did some seaglow on my metalic 5's and the sole separated in the middle , and i think the midsole shrunk cuz when i reglued it the sole sticks out slightly .

Any recommendations on UV lamps? The sun betrayed me

damn did some seaglow on my metalic 5's and the sole separated in the middle , and i think the midsole shrunk cuz when i reglued it the sole sticks out slightly .

http://airlegendsla.com/collections/sole-products/products/apollo-power-light

Here's some pics of people results i've seen on IG n(and their website)

Im ordering mine next week. If you want to see results off this then go to their intstagram page. @airlegends

There's probably more out there but i've been dealing with airlegends products since they started selling them and i havent been disappointed yet.

For those looking for different sole sauce products theres a ton of them now. Just make your own if you want or buy it ready made. I've also used @fabes_sole sauce also. (pics of his results on his site)
http://whoisfabe.com/pages/portfolio

P.S. I'm not trying try force.sell or sway anyone towards the arilegends site, products etc. Just giving what I've seen and what I'VE PERSONALLY USED that's all.

Last edited:
For those who are struggling to remove factory paint from the midsole. My video simplifies any method and it won't damage the midsole.

Ah man , I'm scarred to do mine now.

What was the temperature when you did them ?  How long did you leave them out ? How many sessions ?  Direct sunlight ?

First thing first.......WEAR YOUR SHOES BRO!!!!!! Dont sit on them for years and then try to wear them. Some older shoes will crumble.

I've personally never used the salon care method but i've seen numerous vids and pics of that particular mix do great jobs. I just say use what you feel is better and most importantly can afford. No it doesn't really affect those colored areas. If you apply the sauce and some so happens to get on the colored midsole just take a damp towel and wipe off the excess. As far as the sole like the V (again this is what I do. to each his own) I just put the sauce on the parts that need to be iced, not the middle of the sole unless it's like the wolf greys and the whole sole is translucent. And the sauce worked on some colored soles for me too. On some kobe V draft days the teal sole started to yellow. I used the sauce on those and it took away the yellowing from those too.

Most of the stuff is fairly priced. As far as paint goes I use angelus. Haven't tried another brand yet but it is one that i will be trying soon but it's mainly used for airbrushing and is called Jacquard paint. Here's a link to King of Sneakers site (to the paint) http://www.kingofsneakers.com/JACQUARDAIRBRUSH.html This is a one stop shop for all things restorations and customs.

I've also sent out some kicks that I had others restore for me. They all have instagram bro. If you need me to lead you there way just let me know and I'll give you the insta names.

As I type this I just put out a pair of wolf grey V for a sole clearing session. The sun is out early in LA and im trying to get as much time in the sun before it gets too hot. This way I get maximum time on the sauce. All you need is sunlight. and also on the airlegends site there is a indoor set up for sole clearing. It's hand made and it cost a lot more but it's just as effective and I believe it would be worth the investment. Use it to make some side cash clearing friends and family members kicks. Thats what I do.

Here's a few names you can look up for restoration work if you want to outsource your kicks.

@raleighrestorations and here is his site for products http://www.raleighrestorations.com/
@vickalmighty
@johnandrew00
@nulifekicks
@doctor_soles
@tragik1993

All these guys do awesome work from general cleaning to repaint to sole separation and midsole swaps. Customs also.
Thanks again man, I appreciate it.

Have you personally tried the "Ice Cream" sauce used by the Raleigh restorations site you posted ?  Does it work as good or better than Sole Bright ?

I assume that's what they used for the kicks you sent out ?  Did the job look as good or better than what you've done yourself with Sole Bright ?

Hey guys I would appreciate if anyone can chime in on this. I'm looking to buy a pair of royal 1s from 2001, but the only flaw is yellowing to the midsoles. Is there any full proof way to bring these midsoles back to being white again? I did a search online and all I saw was some guy who used some kind of dental bleach but I wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Hey guys I would appreciate if anyone can chime in on this. I'm looking to buy a pair of royal 1s from 2001, but the only flaw is yellowing to the midsoles. Is there any full proof way to bring these midsoles back to being white again? I did a search online and all I saw was some guy who used some kind of dental bleach but I wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Clean white part of midsole and apply salon care 40 and saran wrap and set out in sun for 45mins to a hour depending on outside temp to prevent any seperation. May have to do multiple sessions but itll whiten em up

Ah man , I'm scarred to do mine now.

What was the temperature when you did them ?  How long did you leave them out ? How many sessions ?  Direct sunlight ?
was about 98 degrees i left for work and told the family to bring them in in 30 minutes.... they forgot

Back
Top Bottom