:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

OP and anyone else: I think a good suggestion would also be to get a horsehair brush. I just recently got more into sneakers than I was before but I've always had very nice dress shoes for work throughout the week such as Aldens, Paul Smith, Churches, etc. I am very adamant about caring for those shoes, so I've always used a horsehair brush after use to loosen all of the dust/dirt etc. I have found that the brush is also very effective for leather sneakers and other materials as well (for suede I use a suede brush). They make horsehair brushes in different colors for different shoes as well, they were made for leather so why wouldn't you use them on sneakers?

Kirby Allison's Hanger Project is a great site for care and maintenance products for high quality leather dress shoes.

Any way to remove those two scuffs from the infrared VI?

yellow/brownish spots normal for glow in the dark soles? i know yellowing is normal for old GITD soles but these are "DS" (according to the reseller) Mamba Moment IDs, they came out just last December so theyre still pretty young.

Last edited:
I had that on the gumbo kobes, they were worn tho. Not sure if that's normal on DS

Getting ready to clean some sneakers today. My BC 3's I've only worn maybe 10 x since Black Friday 2011 but they've begun to yellow on the front toe cap portion that wraps to the midsole, the part just below the elephant print. I've read that whitening tooth paste can clean these. Any other suggestions or techniques as it pertains to doing this. Was just going to use a wet tooth brush, toothpaste and a warm towel to clean off...

Getting ready to clean some sneakers today. My BC 3's I've only worn maybe 10 x since Black Friday 2011 but they've begun to yellow on the front toe cap portion that wraps to the midsole, the part just below the elephant print. I've read that whitening tooth paste can clean these. Any other suggestions or techniques as it pertains to doing this. Was just going to use a wet tooth brush, toothpaste and a warm towel to clean off...

Use a salon 40 creme on the yellowed parts and set them out in sunlight for 30-60 minutes. Wash it off and apply a new coat if necessary.

Just to double check before I put in a order. 

i'm planning on repainting a few mid soles such as the TB 3s, BC 3s, Fire Red 3s, military blue IVs.. etc..

I got the color paints I need for the specific colorway but I'm not sure which white to get.. Flat white or the regular acrylic white?

also do I have to buy:

Leather preparer and deglazer  : for prepping the area before I paint.

Duller : to mix in the paint so the paint isn't too gloss

Matte Acrylic finisher 

thanks in advance!

if there are any suggestions please let me know

Just to double check before I put in a order. 

i'm planning on repainting a few mid soles such as the TB 3s, BC 3s, Fire Red 3s, military blue IVs.. etc..

I got the color paints I need for the specific colorway but I'm not sure which white to get.. Flat white or the regular acrylic white?

also do I have to buy:

Leather preparer and deglazer  : for prepping the area before I paint.

Duller : to mix in the paint so the paint isn't too gloss

Matte Acrylic finisher 

thanks in advance!

if there are any suggestions please let me know

I strip paint off with acetone but I'm sure deglazer works well too. As for white I'd go with flat white and definitely get the duller unless you want the white to be shiny. Matte finisher is always a good idea too and mix it with duller as well.

What can I paint the white leather part of these flint 13s to make them white? Not talking about the sole.

Last edited:
What can I paint the white leather part of these flint 13s to make them white? Not talking about the sole.
yea id like to know precisely too, guessing just flat white? got a couple scuffs I want covered.

also would like to know about how to unyellow the midsole. think it be easier to just clean them and paint em

speaking of flints, anyone have their tongue yellow? haven't tried anything yet just in case

yea id like to know precisely too, guessing just flat white? got a couple scuffs I want covered.

also would like to know about how to unyellow the midsole. think it be easier to just clean them and paint em

speaking of flints, anyone have their tongue yellow? haven't tried anything yet just in case

I think the best thing to do is remove the white paint from the entire toebox with acetone and apply all new paint (3 or more layers of Angelus white leather paint with 10% duller and then a coat of matte finish with 10% duller.

To unyellow the white midsole use salon 40 creme. Just apply a coat and leave it in direct sunlight for 30-60 minutes. Wash it off and apply another coat if necessary.

As for a yellowing tongue, was it originally white leather? You can remove the old coat with acetone and apply fresh coats of white Angelus paint. Before that, just try washing them with soap and warm water and maybe a Mr Clean magic eraser pad.

Reps genethemarine genethemarine and kevin15776 kevin15776

Before I use the salon care 40 to whiten the midsole should I do any pretreatment? Would you suggest using the toothpaste before (or any time after) using the salon care 40? And also should I use saran wrap with salon care 40 or it isn't necessary? Sorry for all the questions. I hardly ever wear these BC3's I want to keep them as pristine as possible, this yellowing was random

Reps genethemarine genethemarine and kevin15776 kevin15776

Before I use the salon care 40 to whiten the midsole should I do any pretreatment? Would you suggest using the toothpaste before (or any time after) using the salon care 40? And also should I use saran wrap with salon care 40 or it isn't necessary? Sorry for all the questions. I hardly ever wear these BC3's I want to keep them as pristine as possible, this yellowing was random

Don't worry. I understand wanting to keep shoes clean. I tried toothpaste once or twice but don't remember seeing any noticeable difference. I would just wash the midsole area with soap and water first to remove any dirt so the salon 40 stuff can work on a clean and dry surface. You can use plastic wrap so the creme won't run or dry out but I've never found a real need for it. I would advise you to wear gloves or wash the creme off your skin before it has a chance to dry. It tends to burn and leave white marks on your skin which are difficult to scrub off.

Anyone have experience on cleaning the XX9 upper? Got a pair of photo reels that could use a cleaning, and wanna be safe.

This is the shoe, but no detail on where it's dirty. One spot is on the tongue tho

probably use mild soap or laundry detergent. another reason i have the TO and gym red. lol no cleaning needed.

Anyone have experience with using Jason Markk on these? I have the soft premium brush

Back
Top Bottom