:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Couldn't find barge cement at Home Depot. Any place to order it online?

I tried using another "cement" type adhesive but it didn't work. How do you keep the detached toe sole area attached to the shoe when drying? I was holding it but got old real fast. The sole kept wanting to come apart from the rest of the shoe.

Tried to find barge cement again yesterday with no luck. Has anyone used epoxy?

Also, how do you keep the sole together with the toe of the midsole so that they can dry to together properly?

What shoe are you trying to restore? I'm hearing E6000 might be a good option becuase it dries clear.

Barge Cement (The green label):
Amazon product ASIN B008CS8FGI
I haven't seen it anywhere below $22-25. It is worth it tho. It's industrial strength so you won't find it at your local retailer. I don't even think it meets environmental regulations to be sold anymore.

If you are able to grab some, do remember, less is more. People always tend to overuse is to achieve maximum adhesion - rarely the case. If you can find it, this stuff works wonders.

Acetone and cotton balls, don't use too much acetone at once start with a little and add more as needed. What shoe are you trying to fix?

Fire red 3's.. Black cements have also started
To crack a bit

Since you're doing 3's, don't put too much acetone on the cotton ball, it might eat away at the midsole. I made this mistake on my 03 Cement 3's on the right shoe. Don't press too hard when stripping the paint either that will also erode it. Slow and steady. I think it's time to re-do mine. I'm not ready to break out my '11 Cements. Someone in here suggested painting the entire midsole white, then do the final coating of the color to make sure the color looks good. I'm going to try that this time around. Good luck man.

Since you're doing 3's, don't put too much acetone on the cotton ball, it might eat away at the midsole. I made this mistake on my 03 Cement 3's on the right shoe. Don't press too hard when stripping the paint either that will also erode it. Slow and steady. I think it's time to re-do mine. I'm not ready to break out my '11 Cements. Someone in here suggested painting the entire midsole white, then do the final coating of the color to make sure the color looks good. I'm going to try that this time around. Good luck man.
yours dissolved because it has the same midsole as the older jordan models that crack over time. The fire red 3's and black cements from 2008/11 wont crack. they have a different type of midsole. that's why the paint cracking is prominent. 

Last edited:
yours dissolved because it has the same midsole as the older jordan models that crack over time. The fire red 3's and black cements from 2008/11 wont crack. they have a different type of midsole. that's why the paint cracking is prominent. 

Oh never noticed, only later models I have are '11 cements and TB, I haven't worn either one of those yet. However, I have restored a friends TB from '01 and did not press hard and it didn't dissolve. So, this problem is avoidable on older models if you're careful.

Can anyone help me with my suede 5's? I was hanging out and a random fight broke out behind me. In the process someone ran to the fight and rhino stomped on my left shoe. Just the toe box of the suede was frayed. I have tried to lay it back down but it is still more prominent than the other toe box. I tried to take the best pictures with my camera phone. Is there a method to fix the frayed suede? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Can anyone help me with my suede 5's? I was hanging out and a random fight broke out behind me. In the process someone ran to the fight and rhino stomped on my left shoe. Just the toe box of the suede was frayed. I have tried to lay it back down but it is still more prominent than the other toe box. I tried to take the best pictures with my camera phone. Is there a method to fix the frayed suede? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

My man, they look fine. Get a Suede brush and smooth it out. They're meant to be worn, right? They can't stay pristine forever.

I completely agree with you. They don't look bad. I had asked this question a year ago with no answer. At the time I just unds them. I just copied and paste my previous post from a year ago. I have worn these multiple times since. I have no problem with wearing them nor do I have an issue of keeping them pristine. I just wanted to know if there is method i can used to lay down the frayed suede. I have brushed it down. This seems to be the only thing that can be done. I managed to take some quick pictures before work today.

There is a noticeable difference in the toe box. Nothing major. I can live with it. After all there just shoes.

I completely agree with you. They don't look bad. I had asked this question a year ago with no answer. At the time I just unds them. I just copied and paste my previous post from a year ago. I have worn these multiple times since. I have no problem with wearing them nor do I have an issue of keeping them pristine. I just wanted to know if there is method i can used to lay down the frayed suede. I have brushed it down. This seems to be the only thing that can be done. I managed to take some quick pictures before work today.

There is a noticeable difference in the toe box. Nothing major. I can live with it. After all there just shoes.

You copied and pasted the exact post from a year ago? :wow: and no one answered? Wow :lol:. They still look good though. I now wish I had a pair of them, but I was so against the pack gimmick I didn't even try but it's all good though.

Anyone know if the Raptor s (2012) are suede or nubuck? Also I've been having a problem involving stains. Not like real stains but like stains from water and liquid relatively. How do I get off? I try wiping it with a wet paper towel or wipe with a wet sponge and letting it dry but it doesnt do much. Would a Suede/Nubuck Cleaner like Foot Locker take away those stains? PLEASE HELP. If you look at the toebox in the pic below, thats kind of how it looks like. Not the dust but its like a dried stain a little bit. ~CIRCLED~

Has Anyone ever tried to seaglow or retrobrite using a blacklight? Since what activated the process is uv rays and blacklights emit UV rays, more so than reptile bulbs

Has Anyone ever tried to seaglow or retrobrite using a blacklight? Since what activated the process is uv rays and blacklights emit UV rays, more so than reptile bulbs
I've thought about this method but it probably emits the wrong kind of UV light. In order for the retr0brite to take in full effect, you need both UV B and UV A. 

Speaking of Retr0bright, I just found out about it like a week ago. I thought everyone still used SeaGlow.

Does Retr0bright work on the soles of Foams? And is the restoremysneakers.com tutorial for making it the best one to use, or are there better recipes out there? And do you guys recommend Retr0bright over SeaGlow? I got a bottle layin around here somewhere I just gotta find it. So many questions :lol:. Thanks in advance for any help. :nerd:

Last edited:
It'll still yellow my friend. Any type of contact with water on clear translucent soles whether you wipe it down is still gonna cause yellowing. :x

I think this might be one of the biggest myth in shoe maintenance history.
Getting a dishwash soap that fights grease and grime and mix it with water will keep your icy soles icy for a long time.

Speaking of Retr0bright, I just found out about it like a week ago. I thought everyone still used SeaGlow.

Does Retr0bright work on the soles of Foams? And is the restoremysneakers.com tutorial for making it the best one to use, or are there better recipes out there? And do you guys recommend Retr0bright over SeaGlow? I got a bottle layin around here somewhere I just gotta find it. So many questions
laugh.gif
. Thanks in advance for any help.
nerd.gif
retr0brite all day

^yep warm water, dish soap (mild) and a soft bristle toothbrush is the best. i stopped buying stores shoe cleaners a long time ago

Anyone know if the Raptor s (2012) are suede or nubuck? Also I've been having a problem involving stains. Not like real stains but like stains from water and liquid relatively. How do I get off? I try wiping it with a wet paper towel or wipe with a wet sponge and letting it dry but it doesnt do much. Would a Suede/Nubuck Cleaner like Foot Locker take away those stains? PLEASE HELP. If you look at the toebox in the pic below, thats kind of how it looks like. Not the dust but its like a dried stain a little bit. ~CIRCLED~
I see nothing wrong.

But try wet wipes. They work well for most jobs like that
My actual shoe

Back
Top Bottom