OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET AND ECONOMY THREAD VOL. A NEW CHAPTER

I post the good with the bad.

My do nothing 401k is now down 8.3% for the year. A 8% drop for just half a month is sort of crazy. Is there any glimmer of hope?

It’s a combo mix of index funds duplicating the sp500/sp400/Russell 2000/us reit.
A year to year comparison has me up 13%. A two year comparison is at a +29% clip. You take the good with the bad. I think it was 2018 that saw deep declines and it recovered.

Let’s hope we weather this storm. I just upped my contribution %.

I haven’t been following. Cashed out everything Jan 1st to buy a house. Failing at that. Got lucky with timing though since market has crashed since then. Might give up on this house nonsense - what’s dropped a lot that’ll go back up long term?

Might be ready to drop it all back into my 4 faves

Microsoft
Google
Nvidia
CRM (Salesforce)

I haven’t been following. Cashed out everything Jan 1st to buy a house. Failing at that. Got lucky with timing though since market has crashed since then. Might give up on this house nonsense - what’s dropped a lot that’ll go back up long term?

Microsoft
Google
Nvidia
CRM (Salesforce)
Where is Apple?

Microsoft
Google
Nvidia
CRM (Salesforce)

Watching what's happening with stocks and crypto right now, do you really want to buy a house right now?

If the stock market crashes, real estate is next.

Cant see a bear market lasting too long. It’s all manipulation anyway. Every little news break (omg inflation! Omg rate hikes! Omg war!) and the market reacts. A company may do great at earnnings and it tanks. Market is never logical thats why I believe it’s all manipulated. The elite just want a shakeout. Rinse and repeat.

Way too many people have access to purchasing stocks now in literally seconds at their fingertips. Compared to bear markets and corrections in years past where a majority of the population had no idea what to do. You can be a janitor or CEO, literally doesn’t matter. Age of information, everyone has access.

This too shall pass. Much quicker than before.

Watching what's happening with stocks and crypto right now, do you really want to buy a house right now?

If the stock market crashes, real estate is next.

I play the strings available to me at the moment. I and my wife are both employed, great credit scores, length of employment and have a very solid combined salary at the moment. It’s murky what will happen down the road in terms of that if/when we have kids or move out of this area.

If I buy an investment property we plan to hold it for 5-10 years.

I’ve kind of tilted toward personal factors > macroeconomic factors since one I control and the other I do not.

Hang in there bruh. Time in the market matters and it doesn’t sound like you’re invested in dog **** stocks that will never recover.
Not at all worried. 40+ year time horizon all of this is irrelevant.

Imo we'll be back to the moon by March. At the end of the day I have conviction in my portfolio and anything is better than cash with inflation at 7% which means it's really like 14% for us regular folk

Last edited:
my 401k from my last job is down 2k... i transferred it in oct 2020 and bought some mutual funds...i was up 12k at one point now im down 2 racks... this is crazy... i wouldnt be mad if i broke even with the money i already had in my account

on another note i bought facebook for 130 and sold it this summer for 375... now its at 303... im glad i sold it when i did though instead of holding on to it

Last edited:
When this selloff is over its def gonna be a stock pickers market. Not all these names are coming back. This whole thing is a repricing of risk and it just so happens everything is getting dragged down in the process. Gotta know which companys are which.
This decade along with ESG is going to save active management after the 2010s almost killed it.

This decade along with ESG is going to save active management after the 2010s almost killed it.

I know you work in wealth management so it’s in your interest. But people have been saying this since the 90s and every time one of these stock pickers goes up against the S&P ETF that warren buffet picks they lose.

Unfortunately stock pickers are good only in a 2-3 year run for whatever the trend is. They usually can’t pivot quickly enough towards whatever the new trend is.

Cant see a bear market lasting too long. It’s all manipulation anyway. Every little news break (omg inflation! Omg rate hikes! Omg war!) and the market reacts. A company may do great at earnnings and it tanks. Market is never logical thats why I believe it’s all manipulated. The elite just want a shakeout. Rinse and repeat.

Way too many people have access to purchasing stocks now in literally seconds at their fingertips. Compared to bear markets and corrections in years past where a majority of the population had no idea what to do. You can be a janitor or CEO, literally doesn’t matter. Age of information, everyone has access.

This too shall pass. Much quicker than before.

What is manipulation? So when stocks drop, they have been manipulated, but when stocks skyrocketed the past two years, that wasn't manipulation?

Dropping interest rates to rock bottom and printing 7 trillion dollars or whatever it was... that was manipulation.

Stocks have been overvalued for years. The P/E ratios are too high.

I know you work in wealth management so it’s in your interest. But people have been saying this since the 90s and every time one of these stock pickers goes up against the S&P ETF that warren buffet picks they lose.

Unfortunately stock pickers are good only in a 2-3 year run for whatever the trend is. They usually can’t pivot quickly enough towards whatever the new trend is.
I agree there. Using active management in the large cap US space is 99/100 times not going to work. There's too much information flow and too many people in the space. Its better served for less populated and niche spaces like small cap, REITS, and Non-US.

99/100 people should really be just buying SPY and moving on with thier lives (me included)

What is manipulation? So when stocks drop, they have been manipulated, but when stocks skyrocketed the past two years, that wasn't manipulation?

Dropping interest rates to rock bottom and printing 7 trillion dollars or whatever it was... that was manipulation.

Stocks have been overvalued for years. The P/E ratios are too high.

Yea its manipulated both ways. Wykoff distribution cycles over and over again. I could care less about PE ratios. People put too much emphasis on that.

Back
Top Bottom