OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET AND ECONOMY THREAD VOL. A NEW CHAPTER

fml for ever buying CTRL calls.

GPRO prob squeezes folks after it reopens.

wa hoping TWTR would get crushed to get long.

edit GPRO wow guess not

Last edited:
Hate that I sold Twitter.

I check Twitter before I check my email in the morning.

There isn't a better news source out there.

Was in a gambling mood today and wanted to go long on GPRO and P. Glad I was too busy at work to put in the orders :lol:

I felt like GoPro was gonna get killed. Didn't have the guts to bet against it though :lol:

Gosh SLV and GLD are killing me today. Gotta consult Andy from here on out before I think about trading those :lol:

CTRL is miserable. I have until July for these 20 calls so who knows, maybe they get bought out.

Looks like my patience holding onto Sprint has paid off.  Bloomberg just had an article saying that after the most recent wirless auctions, Sprints 2.5 spectrum increased in value by somewhere between 85 Billion - 115 Billion making the stock actually worth $25-$30.  It should just keep climbing up.

With that jobs report earlier today just killing it (best 3 month jobs gains in 17 years) everybody is pretty much bullish with the economy right now.  That means they might raise interest rates sooner than later. 

Prepare yourselves gentlemen.  The big picture right now is the market heading up.  Trade accordingly

Notable earnings for next week....

> FEB 9

before

HAS - Hasbro
L - Loews Corp
MAS - Masco Corporation
SOHU - Sohu.com

after

COUP - coupons.com
MOH - Molina Healthcare

> FEB 10

before

CVS - CVS Health Corp
DF - Dean Foods
HNT - Health Net
HOT - Starwood Hotels
KO - Coca-Cola
RAI - Reynolds American
REGN - Regeneron Pharma
SALE - RetailMeNot
SAVE - Spirit Airlines
TAP - Molson Coors

after

AKAM - Akamai Technologies
CRL - Charles River Laboratories
PAYC - Paycom Software
XOOM - Xoom Corp

> FEB 11

before

ARMH - ARM Holdings
LO - Lorillard
MDLZ - Mondelez
OC - Owens Corning
PEP - PepsiCo
TWX - Time Warner Inc
ZTS - Zoetis

after

AMAT - Applied Materials
BIDU - Baidu
CAKE - Cheesecake Factory
CSCO - Cisco
FEYE - FireEye
HUBS - HubSpot
NVDA - NVidia
PNRA - Panera Bread
SKX - Skechers
TSLA - Tesla
TRIP - Trip Advisor
TSO - Tesoro Corp
WFM - Whole Foods Market

> FEB 12

before

AAP - Advance Auto Parts
BWA - BorgWarner
CAB - Cabela's
DPS - Dr Pepper Snapple
JAH - Jarden Corp
K - Kellogg
RWLK - ReWalk Robotics
SCOR - comScore
THS - Treehouse Foods
WWAV - WhiteWave Foods

after

AIG - American International Group
BYD - Boyd Gaming
CYBR - CyberArk Software
GRPN - Groupon
KING - King Digital
KRFT - Kraft Foods
NEWR - New Relic
QLIK - Qlik Technologies
RGC - Regal Entertainment
ZNGA - Zynga

> FEB 13

RRGB - Red Robin Gourmet Burgers
SJM - J. M. Smucker
VFC - VF Corp

Can't wait to see SALE and KING tank again.

Still hanging onto 20 shares of TSLA

Last edited:
Looks like my patience holding onto Sprint has paid off.  Bloomberg just had an article saying that after the most recent wirless auctions, Sprints 2.5 spectrum increased in value by somewhere between 85 Billion - 115 Billion making the stock actually worth $25-$30.  It should just keep climbing up.

did you have a link to the article? Sounds interesting been holding this for a long time bought in at around 2.50 still waiting for a bigger return as i still believe sprint is vastly undervalued

in all still wondering how there iphone deal paid off for them or how it is going

did you have a link to the article? Sounds interesting been holding this for a long time bought in at around 2.50 still waiting for a bigger return as i still believe sprint is vastly undervalued

in all still wondering how there iphone deal paid off for them or how it is going
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...son-may-sell-airwaves-to-help-fund-turnaround

Current price  = $5 per share with market cap of $20B.  Add $100B to that with $5 share price per $20B of market cap...it'd be a $30 stock.  But with that being said they'll need to either improve their infrastructure to utilize it or sell some of it.  In my mind it makes it somewhat of a safe buy at these levels though because at worst if Sprint fails as a wireless company they'll be bought out for their spectrum and with the 2.5 worth that much it would probably be a large price per share to buy them out. 

Last edited:
been day trading well lately but today i just didn't do my job

wanted to take GPRO on the open over 45.35 never clicked the mouse, 46 weeklies were good for a double

Got caught up doing a boredom trade in FB and just lost my discipline/got emotional and gave back some of my gains in the morning from a quick TWTR short scalp via puts. still up on the week but the idea is to trade well consistently, not using prior gains as "cushion" and i let that get me loose today. no biggie, gotta just focus tomorrow and click the mouse when it makes sense.

since i was so occupied in fb out of boredom i missed 2 great signals in twtr and baba long. so be it. gotta get back to just doing my job like I've been doing.

so lesson here, avoid chop, don't use cushion to get you loose, and click the mouse when it makes sense.

I'm a complete noob here but a company i like (AMEX) is taking huge big after announcing their partnership with costco is ending. If I wanted to follow the Buy Low / sell high mantra.. should i try and purchase stocks as the dust settles?

what's the ticker? it's all relative to the strength of the stock. a stock like GILD, when it dips it's on sale and buyers usually show up. a stock like VJET, however, has never had the dust settle and gotten to where it once was. why? because GILD is ******* cash cow and VJET is a piece of ****. so you have to ask yourself, is this company a turd? or is it something buyers will view as on sale on dips? what's their cash flow like? do they have enough cash on their books to withstand adversity? will they need to do secondary offerings to raise more cash (i.e. dilute their float)? do they grow year over year?

Sounds like aapl is getting involved in electric cars. Whether it's designing their own vehicle or solely an os to partner w another company I'm not sure but interesting either way.

Has to be the software side of things. I wouldn't be opposed if they were to start designing/producing their own cars though

Sounds like aapl is getting involved in electric cars. Whether it's designing their own vehicle or solely an os to partner w another company I'm not sure but interesting either way.

I won't buy the iWatch, but I see it gaining popularity with people under 20, Asia and plenty of other demographics. After a wearable, it's probably a TV and then electric cars. Carl Icahn is an egotistical psychopath, but I completely agree with him on this:

http://www.fastcompany.com/3042377/fast-feed/carl-icahn-values-apple-at-13-trillion

Regarding AmEx, I've heard they've been downsizing drastically, even moving a number of longtime employees to home offices. Costco is in a power position and will subsequently switch to MasterCard or someone with a much lower merchant fee. I like Costco stock a lot more than AmEx stock.

Oh damn he was talking about AXP :lol: I had the exchange in my head and was wondering which company he had in mind. Y'all gotta use the tickers when you can, just makes it easier to look up charts and what not.

Buffett is long a ton of AXP I believe but he's got a great average and does a lot of protection strategies to get through hiccups.

AXP, it's below value on all time frames. Bottom of value for the month was 80.59, for the year 85.88. Loses 77, could see 73. Gets back over 80.59 and holds, 81.13, 82.22 and 84.31 could be possible, but it'll probably find resistance at the bottom of value for the year. It's tough to gauge these falling knives, you gotta be really nimble. Either start in small or just wait for it to change trend and a dip with a higher low to add in on. I personally would rather just grab some V and take advantage of that split if I wanted credit card exposure. Pull back to 263.49 would be a decent entry.

Regarding AAPL, I read something that seems like they're working on a minivan of sorts? Idk, watch them buy TSLA in the future. The watch I really don't know how to gauge. Really need to see it in person and its functionality. I've felt AAPL needs to create some different avenues of profit so I love the idea of them trying something completely new. Maybe they'll be looking to tie in solar to this car :nerd: with that FSLR deal as a precursor...

I have about 1.5 years till I start investing. I finished school right now and start work in Jan 2016. I have some debt though so I'll spend 2016 paying that off mostly and start doing serious investing in 2017. I want to make sure I am very well qualified when I do start getting teeth in the game.

I understand stocks from the accounting side (just finished my Master of Accountancy), but not from the actual click and trade consumer side.

I am planning on using Ameritrade's Essentials to get going (I have an Ameritrade account from years past) and understand the basics.

It covers:
Portfolio Management
Options
Stocks
Bonds
Futures
Mutual Funds and ETFs
Forex

Personally, I don't really believe in "diversification." I'm not sure why...just a gut feeling. Without doing any learning my plan is to have a set amount each month go from my paycheck to something that is very "safe" (don't know what this means yet) and then have a set amount that I'll treat as gambling (I'd hate to lose it, but it won't affect my standard of living).

Any other advice necessary for a newbie?

If you want to be ready for the day you can invest I highly suggest you spend the next 1.5 years paper trading to get your feet wet, find your niche and develop an idea of how to do this consistently. Study charting, find what works for you and get the kinks out of the way before you put real money on the line.

This is all about risk management. The only time something is a gamble is when you don't have a plan.

Paper trading is trading without putting actual cash at risk. Sign up for a Td Ameritrade account and download think or swim software. You can use the software for free without ever funding the account. There is a feature when you login to use paper just click that and sign in. Basically you test your ideas without putting your money on the line. This is a great way to develop your style

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom