OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

Originally Posted by iBlink

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Originally Posted by iBlink

I've got $1,200 to invest. Any suggestions of how to invest it for some short term returns?

Why short term?
Looking to flip it to a make a decent profit, then invest again. Then repeat said process.

So you're looking to gain free capital right now? How short term are we talking about? A day, a week, two weeks?

Originally Posted by bruce negro

Originally Posted by nocomment6

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

Personally, I'd hold off on Nike until they go down to about the low $90s.  They've been above $100 for a while now, but usually they're trading around the high $80s to mid $90s range.  Unlike Apple, I don't see them releasing anything that would warrant their stocks to stay above $100 unless they report crazy earnings...
Pretty much what I thought, I don't know about ya'll, but I think there should be a slight correction on the markets after the rally in the past months, no?
DXPE also looks great.
When did you buy DXPE for you to be pushing it so hard? I don't see any real huge news about it, so unless you're looking at standard analytics then I'm not really sure why you would be recommending this stock. What makes it different from the other bull stocks in the market right now?

I'm the one pushing DXPE. I bought 100 shares in 2/24 at 38.08. I'm up more than 12%.DXPE is an industrial equipment wholesaler. Prior to 2008, the CEO had stated that his goal was to make the company a billion dollar company. Current market cap is $606M. In their industry, they are in the top 20% in YoY earnings growth and in the top 10% in PEG ratio. They have beat earnings projections every quarter since 2009. TTM: 20.7Forward P/E: 14.2PEG: 0.63Overall I think this is a solid company run by people who know what they're doing. Good for short term and long term growth.

@dajoka - You've convinced me.... and yes these are all true.

Were is the market expecting BAC to rise until?? any info?

Where do you guys get your information from? (I check marketwatch and forexpros)

@dajoka - You've convinced me.... and yes these are all true.

Were is the market expecting BAC to rise until?? any info?

Where do you guys get your information from? (I check marketwatch and forexpros)

No one knows. Keep buying until it shows signs of topping.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Special dividend? I can't see them going quarterly...

Perhaps. Definitely not quarterly, though.

The company said it would begin giving shareholders a quarterly dividend of $2.65 per share sometime its fiscal fourth quarter, which begins in July. Apple last offered a dividend in 1995.

I like Apple's decision. Small buy back, small dividend. Neither enough to require them to bring money that is offshore over to the States. Also they will re-evaluate the dividend number according to future earnings.

Of course the market didn't like the news (was up 3.5% pre-market at one point), but now the bulls are coming around (up 2% right now).

Also, look at DXPE go.

Do you guys think Apple will hit 700 in Q2 or Q3? It seems likely, but investors expectations are so high....

Do you guys think Apple will hit 700 in Q2 or Q3? It seems likely, but investors expectations are so high....

$700 by the expiration of May options. That's my guess. It's only a 16% increase from here.

BAC was up most of the day then hit a reversal towards the end. The scalpers jumped in. It needs to consolidate then rise. 

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

BAC was up most of the day then hit a reversal towards the end. The scalpers jumped in. It needs to consolidate then rise. 

I think it may keep steady or even drop until a few percent, I'm buying towards the end of the week.
Samsung also looks like a great pick, rose 6 % yesterday, with the sales of the iPads. Like Foxconn, I can see it rising a great deal throughout the year.

BAC rumors were false. It made people panic and sell their shares. If you're holding , don't worry it's fine.

• March 19, 2012, 4:55 PM
[h1]Bank of America Denies Market Rumors Of Secondary Offering[/h1]Bank of America has denied it has any plans to issue shares, contrasting a market rumor that sent shares sliding after a rally for most of the day.

“Contrary to market rumors, Bank of America has no intention of issuing additional equity in a secondary offering,

I was doing well for 2011 even though i lost 3k in sprint

my accountant told me I can claim up to 3k in taxes so it may work out.

COP has been a favorite stock of mine since 2009. Dividends are great and they are a very strong company

I plan on getting into options but using small money, say a couple hundred.

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Special dividend? I can't see them going quarterly...

Perhaps. Definitely not quarterly, though.

The company said it would begin giving shareholders a quarterly dividend of $2.65 per share sometime its fiscal fourth quarter, which begins in July. Apple last offered a dividend in 1995.

roll.gif
 Got me. I believe they're only going to do it for a few years, I don't think they're going to become a true dividend stock just yet. 
But alright people, I need some clarification.

So I've been researching options in-depth for the past week or so, although I've already known the principles behind them for a while. I just need some confirmation on a few points.

• The value of, say, a call option is the price you want to sell the stock at less the strike price, multiplied by the amount of shares that your option held, correct? For example, if I buy one call option (containing 100 shares) of BAC with a strike price at $11 and BAC reaches $14 by the time my contract is up, the value of my option would be calculated as (14-11)*100, and then I must also subtract the fee I paid for the option from that answer, correct?

• Assuming I'm correct on the above, doesn't that mean that you will most likely LOSE money on an option buy if the difference between the current price and the strike price is less than a dollar? Like, (11.5-11)*100 would be $50, correct? Unless you bought the option at $.50> then you're not going to get a profit at all, not counting the other fees. 

• Therefore, the only really wise option buys, aside from using certain option buying strategies like butterfly spreads and others, would be to purchase an option on those penny-stock-like opportunities, like some pharmaceutical stocks, where the increase or decrease will span a significant amount of dollars. amirite?
If so, then could someone recommend me some interesting pharmaceutical picks, or tell me where to find them? I'm not going to get into options for a while unless something really jumps out at me, but I'm curious as to how pharmaceutical stocks are priced, option-wise. I'm assuming that because there's such a possibility of fast-growth that their option spreads would be priced high in all areas, but I also want to know if there are other factors. Just trying to understand a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom