OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

I want to get into stocks but its like reading another language. Any books to get me started in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

I hope he didn't lose too much $.

I mean if he holds long term it shouldn't affect him that much, I believe he got in a couple years ago. So despite the hit, he still has some good gains. But this is the nature of the beast. No stock is invincible especially during earnings report.

Really not a bad quarter, IMO, just the Street getting too giddy. I've only seen a handful of absolutely brutal quarters/guidance (Informatica, Texas Instruments, Under Armour I thought was :x)

I'm at the beach and without internet except my phone which is awful for browsing NT.

I got hit hard yesterday. Played 615/620s and 630s. Obviously those are worth nothing. Lost close to $2k, which I'm comfortable with. For anyone who follows Apple, that earnings and the Q4 guidance sucked. Just plain sucked. I was speechless when I saw the EPS. Even the lowball estimates beat $9.32. My plan is to sell off some of my shares and use the capital for options day trading until we get past the FUD that occurs until the Q1 report. Based on the CC, it doesn't look like the iPhone refresh is going to happen until Q1, which will make Q4 rough.

Nothing has really changed though. The iPhone 5 still has to blow every product release ever put of the water and help Apple deliver the greatest quarter of all time. Those are the expectations that we face. Have to meet them.

Last edited:
More...

What really threw the earnings for a loop was the dramatic decline in YoY Asia-Pacific growth. Some factors likely being the absence of the new iPad until this month, no China Mobile and the wave of customers buying the expensive 4S passing and shifting to customers buying the cheaper 3GS and 4 (remember, no subsidies).

There's something to learn from every trade for everyone. Myself included. In the grand scheme of things I'm not an experienced trader. But even over theast few weeks I've had plenty of scenarios come up that I will react to differently the next go around. It's time to steer clear of playing earnings with short term options. You have zero control over the situation. I'm much more comfortable playing with weeklies during the day where I can protect my losses and still win big.

Also, it will be interesting to see how actual earnings compare to what they guide from here on out. Given the lowball estimates of the past, its difficult to get a feel for how disappointed they are with this quarter. Sandbagging the estimates may have been a Steve Jobs doing. Which would now be a thing of the past.

I'm starting to get into the stock market and investing. My plan is to play the stock market simulator on weseed.com until the end of the year and buy some shares in January. Does anybody have any tips for me? Any articles,websites, books etc to get me started? Also would you guys recommend We Seed or are there better simulators out there

There are commodity trusts out there Ticker:CORN for example.

I'd advise against trading futures unless you really know what you're doing.

I want to throw a little on some AMZN calls for earnings but it's hard to ignore all these big stocks missing. It is my favorite company and it's usually not a good idea to trade based on bias. All this mess about Internet tax does not affect this quarter. They should have nice numbers even though the Kindle is a piece of trash.

Last edited:
I want to throw a little on some AMZN calls for earnings but it's hard to ignore all these big stocks missing. It is my favorite company and it's usually not a good idea to trade based on bias. All this mess about Internet tax does not affect this quarter. They should have nice numbers even though the Kindle is a piece of trash.
This company just posted an EPS of ONE ******G PENNY and forecasted a LOSS of 50M to 350M in Q4 and nobody gives a damn. Based on today's close, AMZN would trade at a P/E of over 260 with a reduction of their TTM EPS from 1.21 to 0.84. To bring the P/E back to today's value (181.68), price would have to drop to 152.61. I know you can't simply apply the math that way to get appropriate PPS, but come on...

That 7 million income that they just made last quarter, Apple cleared that amount every 104 minutes.

This company just posted an EPS of ONE ******G PENNY and forecasted a LOSS of 50M to 350M in Q4 and nobody gives a damn. Based on today's close, AMZN would trade at a P/E of over 260 with a reduction of their TTM EPS from 1.21 to 0.84. To bring the P/E back to today's value (181.68), price would have to drop to 152.61. I know you can't simply apply the math that way to get appropriate PPS, but come on...
That 7 million income that they just made last quarter, Apple cleared that amount every 104 minutes.

In the grand scheme of things AMZN is a POS stock, it just so happens to be my favorite place to shop. Oh well looks like option writers win again with a pin.

It's a revenue making machine. Nobody can deny that. Investors are hoping that they eventually turn their online shopping dominance into something profitable. How long do they get though?

And they are now up more than 1.5% AH. Unbelievable.

Had a meeting with a new fund manager yesterday. He's got an interesting idea for his new launch. Will be looking to capitalize on both sides of tail risk, where downside tail will make him more as he believes the next 3 years won't be too pretty.

He's only using options and option products, so he's definately going to have the multiplier.

Back
Top Bottom