OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

I've actually found chart patterns to be more and more useless based on my experience. But with that being said, I am going to keep an eye on MGM.

Looks like a bunch of stocks topping out to me. If the dow didnt look like a vertical line I'd say those were some pretty nice plays

I've actually found chart patterns to be more and more useless based on my experience. But with that being said, I am going to keep an eye on MGM.

watching for the breakouts, not anticipating on the low floaters.. I like to play flat top breakouts, draw a horizontal line and buy above it lol.. K.I.S.S. Sometimes there are duds and I get stopped out but I do my best to be discipline and play the better looking setups.. I hate losing trades but the profit is my #1 goal. #2 is to always get better by learning

Looks like a bunch of stocks topping out to me. If the dow didnt look like a vertical line I'd say those were some pretty nice plays

you maybe right.. I have not needed to factor that into my trading yet (long bull market). Something I need to learn more about

got an offer to join a consulting firm that specializes in mergers and acquisitions...

i'm hype cuz i think i can use this experience of recognizing companies status for my future endeavors...

i think i could benefit greatly from knowing about business structures in hedge funds and private equity...

:pimp:

got an offer to join a consulting firm that specializes in mergers and acquisitions...

i'm hype cuz i think i can use this experience of recognizing companies status for my future endeavors...

i think i could benefit greatly from knowing about business structures in hedge funds and private equity...

School me on what consultants do...because I've heard a lot about it but still have absolutely no idea what people in the field actually do.

Last edited:
What other non-stock investments do you guys dabble in?

Anyone with rental property, etc? Need some ideas for some $$$ I have saved up (>$30k).

Great experience with that. M&A is going to be HUGE this year going forward. Great market for it.

What do you want to do down the line? PE seems to be where everyone wants to go, especially after IB M&A.

A buddy of mine is currently in PE right out of undergrad (Based in NYC with me), and he's telling me that the real money is going to be in Asset management in the next couple of years. A lot of my friends are looking for exit opportunities into that sector actually.

Good for you though :pimp:

Last edited:
Great experience with that. M&A is going to be HUGE this year going forward. Great market for it.

What do you want to do down the line? PE seems to be where everyone wants to go, especially after IB M&A.

A buddy of mine is currently in PE right out of undergrad (Based in NYC with me), and he's telling me that the real money is going to be in Asset management in the next couple of years. A lot of my friends are looking for exit opportunities into that sector actually.

PE out of undergrad? That's pretty rare, do you mind me asking which firm? I know CCMP is a firm known for that, among a select few others. I think PE will always pay by the boatloads, and I think your average PE associate will still consistently make more than the asset management professional with the same amount of work experience (in years).

@Ricky, I don't think the move from consulting to PE/HF is as common as it is from IB, but there are definitely some firms that look for that move. Start building your network and who knows what opportunities may come your way man.

Can someone please explain to me why people have a problem with apple having all that money in cash? I think it's something like 130 billion.

Can someone please explain to me why people have a problem with apple having all that money in cash? I think it's something like 130 billion.

The view by activist hedge funds and others is that Apple's money is also Apple's shareholders' money. To Apple the cash hoard is a ridiculously large "rainy day" fund, but to shareholders it's potential dividends that they aren't getting.

PE out of undergrad? That's pretty rare, do you mind me asking which firm? I know CCMP is a firm known for that, among a select few others. I think PE will always pay by the boatloads, and I think your average PE associate will still consistently make more than the asset management professional with the same amount of work experience (in years).

@Ricky, I don't think the move from consulting to PE/HF is as common as it is from IB, but there are definitely some firms that look for that move. Start building your network and who knows what opportunities may come your way man.
Yeah, most people do make the move from IB... but I'm hoping that my business experience would serve valuable because we're going to have build financial models left and right.

I feel like I might not have the exact experience as those coming from IB... but I'll have other useful knowledge

thanks brah. I've taken from what I've read that M&A is less stress and volatility because you're dealing less with people and more with businesses. Of course the hours are crazy... but not like IB...

If things fall right, I want to have my own investment firm, either with HF, PE, OR WM/AM... I feel like the consulting will give me more of a solid base to looking at how healthy a business is.

School me on what consultants do...because I've heard a lot about it but still have absolutely no idea what people in the field actually do.
if you have a talent or knowledge, and a company doesn't have the resources to hire someone full time to do the job, they bring in consultants.

Consultants basically make recommendations and suggestions, and sometimes do jobs for them, but that's when you step into liabilities.

For example, if you have a small business and you need all of your technology set up, you hire an IT consultant. If you're looking to find managers and staff a certain part of your business, you hire an HR consultant.

They charge hourly because their services are contractual. Rates range from 150-400...

Personal trainers are consultants as well.

You can make it a living, but its not as stable as a position... the guy that asked me for his firm is a cfo of a distribution company .. he just does this on the side because he eventually wants to grow it into another entity ...

You can consult 15-30 hours a week on the side and rack up.

you maybe right.. I have not needed to factor that into my trading yet (long bull market). Something I need to learn more about

The market may have some room to run yet actually. Majority of your targets were hit today, mostly early in the day. Things look to be turning around however. Do you have stops in now? Do you care to talk about how you set your stops? My main concern after such a steep run up was that you would be getting a lot of false breakouts in individual names as the markets turns slowly. I don't see us making a new high until at least a 4%-5% correction, potentially much more. But as I said, all things equal those were some pretty good set ups you posted. Seems we have similar strategies.

Last edited:
I base my stops off previous support/resistance usually, then I set my position size so I am comfortable with the loss if I get stopped out. Average dollar risk is $75-100 per trade. A lot of times I will get out before my stop. If the stock falls below my buy point, I ask myself if I would initiate a new position at the current price. If the answer is no then I am out

Big winning trades this morning in HALO s/s and MNTX, dont know if I posted those charts

You and I can draw whatever lines we want, reality is that the real breakout happened way before that.

true but whatever makes $ for the individual is what matters. So far my strategy has been profitable. I have a lot to learn moving forward to become a better trader. I must say I love this job!

The view by activist hedge funds and others is that Apple's money is also Apple's shareholders' money. To Apple the cash hoard is a ridiculously large "rainy day" fund, but to shareholders it's potential dividends that they aren't getting.

So do the shareholders feel that it's money that hasn't been paid out to them yet? Sort of like apple skimming a little off the top?

So do the shareholders feel that it's money that hasn't been paid out to them yet? Sort of like apple skimming a little off the top?

Well, Apple isn't required to pay a dividend at all. Most people believe that Apple is cautious about lessening their hoard because they ran into hard financial times about 20 years ago and almost went bankrupt. So they want the cash buffer so that that won't happen. However, that cash is just sitting there doing nothing, and shareholders believe it would be put to much better use via dividends or issuing preferred shares with a special dividend. There are various benefits in doing so, but it's just unclear whether Apple will seriously consider it. Activist hedge fund managers are making it their goal to push them into issuing dividends/preferred shares though, because they'll make a lot more money if Apple decides to do that.

Well, Apple isn't required to pay a dividend at all. Most people believe that Apple is cautious about lessening their hoard because they ran into hard financial times about 20 years ago and almost went bankrupt. So they want the cash buffer so that that won't happen. However, that cash is just sitting there doing nothing, and shareholders believe it would be put to much better use via dividends or issuing preferred shares with a special dividend. There are various benefits in doing so, but it's just unclear whether Apple will seriously consider it. Activist hedge fund managers are making it their goal to push them into issuing dividends/preferred shares though, because they'll make a lot more money if Apple decides to do that.
Gotcha. Thanks man.

You and I can draw whatever lines we want, reality is that the real breakout happened way before that.

How exactly do you find the "real" breakout before it's too late?

interested in this as well.. could always use better entries

You don't unless you are a market maker. You just have to realize it and grab profit from the middle. Whoever says they can pick exact tops and bottoms is BSing.

Back
Top Bottom