OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

Hey everyone,

I'm realllly new to stocks and investing....I set up a roth IRA last yr when I had a summer internship and thats basically the extent of my investing til now...but I went to a finance seminar at school and the main speaker drove home some points that made me want to start actually investing in companies, specifically diverisfying your money. I'm still new to reading the stock charts and analyzing the numbers but I think I have a pretty solid grasp on them from just doing research and playing the wall st. survivor simulator game.

I started up an acct. on Sharebuilder since they allow fractional shares and I'm not looking to be trading anything on a daily basis and really am looking long term like 3-5 yrs minimum on stocks....and doing some research I looked up Warren Buffet's holdings to get an idea of what companies he thinks are solid investments. So I set up my acct. for automatic 50$ deposits every month (still on my meager college budget but I wanna increase this amt. once I start working :lol:) and I decided to include just 3 companies in my "portfolio" there: AAPL, BRK-B, and TGT (Target).

I know 50/ month isn't gonna add up to even 1 share of apple for a good while but is this a smart/good way for me to kinda get my feet wet? Also, I've been comparing Nike and UA the past few days and reading up, and Under Armour seems pretty solid and has a lot of potential since they're really only just starting to focus more on international sales so would UA be good to add in your guys opinion? Or since I'm really just trying to grow over time should I focus on really established stocks initially? :nerd:

Also, not trying to get in y'alls personal business but how many different company stocks is "typical" for a person to invest in? Like 10-15?

Thanks for any help fellas...and sorry if these are silly questions but like I said, I'm still trying to learn

I am mostly a trader not an investor even though I do hold longer term positions now and then.

10-15 stocks in your portfolio will be enough to diversify. I think its good you get your feet wet with sharebuilder.. cool idea I never used it tho

Nike to me the chart looks decent for a long. I would personally wait for it to find support somewhere then you have a set risk for your stop. I certainly would not want to own NKE at 55 long or short term.

Under Armour looks almost parabolic to me. It has basically gone straight up. I would want a pullback to be met with support so I can set risk. Check out the charts http://finviz.com/screener.ashx?v=211&t=NKE,UA

I am trying to get into trading stocks . I am reading through the pages of this thread now to gather some knowledge. I am going to start off practicing with the stock wars game, just to get a hang of everything.

What is the best way to learn how to read charts, research companies (what should I look for) , and how to find new companies?

Thanks will rep 

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I'm realllly new to stocks and investing....I set up a roth IRA last yr when I had a summer internship and thats basically the extent of my investing til now...but I went to a finance seminar at school and the main speaker drove home some points that made me want to start actually investing in companies, specifically diverisfying your money. I'm still new to reading the stock charts and analyzing the numbers but I think I have a pretty solid grasp on them from just doing research and playing the wall st. survivor simulator game.

I started up an acct. on Sharebuilder since they allow fractional shares and I'm not looking to be trading anything on a daily basis and really am looking long term like 3-5 yrs minimum on stocks....and doing some research I looked up Warren Buffet's holdings to get an idea of what companies he thinks are solid investments. So I set up my acct. for automatic 50$ deposits every month (still on my meager college budget but I wanna increase this amt. once I start working :lol:) and I decided to include just 3 companies in my "portfolio" there: AAPL, BRK-B, and TGT (Target).

I know 50/ month isn't gonna add up to even 1 share of apple for a good while but is this a smart/good way for me to kinda get my feet wet? Also, I've been comparing Nike and UA the past few days and reading up, and Under Armour seems pretty solid and has a lot of potential since they're really only just starting to focus more on international sales so would UA be good to add in your guys opinion? Or since I'm really just trying to grow over time should I focus on really established stocks initially? :nerd:

Also, not trying to get in y'alls personal business but how many different company stocks is "typical" for a person to invest in? Like 10-15?

Thanks for any help fellas...and sorry if these are silly questions but like I said, I'm still trying to learn

I am mostly a trader not an investor even though I do hold longer term positions now and then.

10-15 stocks in your portfolio will be enough to diversify. I think its good you get your feet wet with sharebuilder.. cool idea I never used it tho

Nike to me the chart looks decent for a long. I would personally wait for it to find support somewhere then you have a set risk for your stop. I certainly would not want to own NKE at 55 long or short term.

Under Armour looks almost parabolic to me. It has basically gone straight up. I would want a pullback to be met with support so I can set risk. Check out the charts http://finviz.com/screener.ashx?v=211&t=NKE,UA

Awesome man! Thanks for the info I hadn't even heard of finviz before but that chart comparison is great...just gonna have to work on understanding all those trends and everything now :lol: Decided to just do Apple, Berkshire B and Sirius Radio since I could get a bunch of shares there..I'm probably going to hold these for a couple yrs at minimum..ONly thing that sucks about sharebuilder is they only trade on Tuesday morning when you do automatic investing, but its not too bad since I'm just trying to hold mine long term. Repped

This is my work. I sold 3/4 of my commons back at 455. on the bounce after earnings. Been playing with protective put hedges since they, with some success. IMO we're on a collision course with the weekly SMA200. Would not want to break that, although it isn't doomsday if it does (see 2008-2009).

I'm not going long again until there is a decisive break and hold of the log-scale weekly trendline from 705 to 504.

At what price would you sell if it tanks? $350? $300? Just wondering your plan

If it gets to 350, I'm buying. If it gets to 300, I'm buying. Apple is a strong company. The stock will correct itself in due time. Until then, I'm taking advantage of the over-reaction in the market.

What do you mean correct? Earnings growth is projected to be 12% next year it seems priced too high in my opinion, unless they are going to start buying back stock and increasing the dividend.

What do you mean correct? Earnings growth is projected to be 12% next year it seems priced too high in my opinion, unless they are going to start buying back stock and increasing the dividend.

If you firmly believe that, then short the stock. 

Just because I think it's priced too high, as in still priced too high doesn't mean it is a good short right now. I say "still" because I have been saying this for like the past 12 months in this very thread.

Overall, I don't think buying any stocks right now is a good move. Too much risk for too little reward, unless you think the Dow is going to do like a 40% year and end at like 16-17,000 or higher

So what do you mean by "correct"?

Last edited:
I've been cash for a minute but AAPL has me intrigued right now. Will wait to see what happens tomorrow but may buy a couple for a small bounce.

People who talk "fair value" kill me. Some prices for things are just arbitrary and just don't make sense, but if you fight the trend then invest in some lubricant. Anyhow you might be on the right track, but you will probably get wiped out if you do not set stops and adhere to them.

Averaging down is like a "cardinal sin" when it comes to trading/investing. Whatever works for you though..

Back
Top Bottom