OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

Averaging down = adding to a losing position = cardinal sin

This is what I was taught by multiple successful traders and investors over the past few years. Is it right for every situation? Of course not.. all strategies have their flaws which is why I respect my stop loss.

Have to agree with holding through earnings as well. It is basically gambling imo

I just feel like that is gambling. If it is your plan to average down and it works for you then more power to you. Like I said every trading strategy is flawed. Some more than others so it is crucial to have a plan and stick to it. That's why I asked when you would sell if it tanks. There is a reason institutional money has been flowing out of Apple. Why? I dont know. Maybe they don't like Cook? Maybe they doubt the innovation moving forward?

I've averaged-down with three stocks in the past year and I've been successful all three times. Time will tell with my AAPL play. 

I'm not just referring to you but dudes kill me when they talk about how good they have done in an up market as if they are doing something better than everyone else.

RE: Holding through earnings

I disagree because I am a dividend income investor and have stocks that I've held for years. Long term gains are also taxed less.

Sheesh, hope some of you guys had Netflix....that stock price rocketed up today, and probably can grow even further

Sheesh, hope some of you guys had Netflix....that stock price rocketed up today, and probably can grow even further
Just peeped this, and my boy is busting my balls about this stock called GHML that he's been holding since $2.48 :lol:

This is what I was taught by multiple successful traders and investors over the past few years. Is it right for every situation? Of course not.. all strategies have their flaws which is why I respect my stop loss.

Have to agree with holding through earnings as well. It is basically gambling imo

Man, i wish i was given this advice before i heard of averaging down and how it could be beneficial. I have lost/thrown so much money away with JAG that i said F!!! it and will just lose it all...considering ive lost 90% of it already. smh

(i had made a lot with them before hand too) :smh:

purchased 80 shares of netflix on friday for 168 sold today for 219. going to purchase 18k of starbucks going into earnings report

purchased 80 shares of netflix on friday for 168 sold today for 219. going to purchase 18k of starbucks going into earnings report

:smokin Hopefully one day I'll be able to buy large quantities like some of you guys....I can't even get one entire Apple share yet on my college budget :smh: :lol: Thats an awesome gain you made there in 3 days

Averaging down has worked decently well for Buffett.

^ I love it when we compare apples to oranges.

AAPL good initial reaction AH but faded right back near 400 and closed at 403.95. I don't think this is a good sign. We will see.

How about that spike about 1pm from an AP tweet that the white house was bombed? Turns out their account was hacked. Look at the SPY 1min chart. A lot of money was made/lost in those few minutes. The manipulation in this current market is bold imo.

Drank the 3D printing koolaid today. Bought 190 shares of DDD at 35.59. They report earnings next week. Could be good for a 15-20% pop.

A little frustrated that I missed this week's run-up on JOEZ. It looks like it wants to flirt with $2 again. 

Sold NAV yesterday for a little $150 gain. 

Still holding my AAPL shares. Haven't added to my position. 

You guys make any plays recently?

One of my professors this semester is actually the R&D Director at one of their "competitors", ExOne :lol: I've had to use them for a few projects this semester... I agree though btw Additive Manufacturing is going to explode...eventually its going to become standard practice and the machines will become much more affordable for people to even use at home.

Are you only looking to go short? You may want to look at a company called Arcam (AMAVF) if you're interested in a growing company in that area for long term, they've had outstanding growth the past yr and are only getting larger in 2013...

Last edited:
Looking to short GOOG on daily MACDh bearish divergence with the target being that big January gap.

DXPE had a good follow through today on a red dog reversal yesterday. Unfortunately I was asleep at the wheel :smh:

Last edited:
Looking to short GOOG on daily MACDh bearish divergence with the target being that big January gap.

DXPE had a good follow through today on a red dog reversal yesterday. Unfortunately I was asleep at the wheel :smh:

I wouldn't do that. But anything is possible.

I really only do EW on AAPL, but looking at GOOG has me thinking again about shorting. It may be ready to break out in a massive way. Will know soon.

Anyone here purchase fb? I'm also considering sherwin-Williams and lowes or Home Depot due to reports of housing market on the rise

Drank the 3D printing koolaid today. Bought 190 shares of DDD at 35.59. They report earnings next week. Could be good for a 15-20% pop.

A little frustrated that I missed this week's run-up on JOEZ. It looks like it wants to flirt with $2 again. 

Sold NAV yesterday for a little $150 gain. 

Still holding my AAPL shares. Haven't added to my position. 

You guys make any plays recently?

:smokin :smokin :smokin Looking good today on this call

Out on my aapl shares @ 447. Nice for a $765 gain. Coulda timed it better, but oh well. 

What are you guys up to?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom