OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET & ECONOMY THREAD VOL. SCHOOL'S OUT

Originally Posted by XkrispyELI

FInance majors: how do you prepare for a private company job interview?
Don't go to the meeting high, or at least I shouldn't. If you are still in school, go to interview workshops and stuff, they usually have a lot of those. Or, go to a career services/ office at school, the people there should also give you some pointers. Besides that, I would do some background on the research of the company, just the basics like what they do, etc. Know what position you want, and be specific. Dress to impress, my friend's dad who's a ballin' lawyer told me that, (came with a long story attached).
And if you're wondering if I have a job to back this all up, I haven't found one yet, but I'm working on it...

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

They are going to pimp FB all the way to several hundred dollars. Trust. 
Truth.
I wish i could buy FB IPOs.

mark zuckerberg did say he wants normal people to own fb too, so he might not give all of the IPOs to large bankers .... hopefully.

Originally Posted by XkrispyELI

They are going to pimp FB all the way to several hundred dollars. Trust. 
Truth.
I wish i could buy FB IPOs.

mark zuckerberg did say he wants normal people to own fb too, so he might not give all of the IPOs to large bankers .... hopefully.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
He's saying that just for PR purposes. Goldman Sachs is doing whatever they want with it The institutions get the shares at "wholesale price", by the time they hit the market the prices are already inflated. FB shares get pumped until late fall/ early winter then take a nose dive. Book it.

we'll be able to get FB a little after opening that day, but it wont be nearly the 30-40 or so thats projected. probably closer to 70.

millenial media that just went public had an IPO of 13 and by the time it hit smaller brokers about 10, it was at 25.
sick.gif
and it closed yesterday, UP, and 17.
laugh.gif

not exactly the same concept, but im just thinking of a newer-age company that just had an IPO. IMO, FB will continue to run for a few days, then settle and drop off.

Originally Posted by bjm5295

we'll be able to get FB a little after opening that day, but it wont be nearly the 30-40 or so thats projected. probably closer to 70.

millenial media that just went public had an IPO of 13 and by the time it hit smaller brokers about 10, it was at 25.
sick.gif
and it closed yesterday, UP, and 17.
laugh.gif

not exactly the same concept, but im just thinking of a newer-age company that just had an IPO. IMO, FB will continue to run for a few days, then settle and drop off.

All this hype and preparation just for a few days
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
really? It is going to run for months dude, this is not a penny stock. It won't run straight up obviously there will be some consolidation here and there. If the IPO is indeed Mid May, the most logical time for it to roll over is November. Kudos if you know why.
wink.gif

My portfolio is worth 20% more today than it was yesterday. Absolutely unbelievable. If I were to sell that one LEAP right now, I'd make more from that than I made during any summer job I've held. It would be more than my parents make in a week of work. I'm in awe.

Correct this, correction that...whatever.

I picked between a Jan '13 BCS ($20 spread) and doubling down to lower my cost basis and went w/ the BCS. Either way, I've made money which is the obvious end goal.

Besides my long position in aapl and this BCS, I'm done w/ apple for the time. It's a price point where I'm comfortable and my work with it is done.

For those of you who have schwab accounts, do you recommend getting brokerage account or the active trader? what are your overall experiences with it? thanks.

If you're doing actual day trading or the like, I believe there are better platforms out there. Don't you also have to have a certain account minimum?

@LazyJ10, the minimum is 36 trades per year. I'm a beginner with low capital trying to get into the game. What do you recommend?

I thought they had a capital requirement too -

Either way, you may want to look into TD, e-Trade or Fidelity.

I use Schwab, but I'm not trading heavily..it's a cost/need analysis for you to do.

Pretty sums up my view, however the press conference afterwards was slightly dovish (cautionary). I expect future Fed announcements to continue to toe the line using language/press conference without any fundamental changes in policy until after presidential elections barring any major changes in economic data/environment. The Fed is stuck between rock and hard place... they can't outright say they won't do QE for fear of roiling the markets/recovery but can't QE because of fears of inflation.

April FOMC statement: This does not sound like a Fed set to ease

As expected, the FOMC decided to keep policy unchanged at its April meeting. The statement contained only a few small word changes relative to March, but they were notable changes in tone that signal to us that the Fed is not expecting to conduct further asset purchases or continue its maturity extension program beyond June. Three language changes suggest this. First, the committee says it expects growth "to remain moderate over coming quarters and then to pick up gradually." The addition of the phrase that growth is expected to pick up is noteworthy and is a relative upgrade from previous statements. Second, the committee signaled that it now sees "some signs of improvement" in the housing sector, although it still classifies the sector as remaining "depressed." This is the first positive statement related to housing that has appeared in an FOMC statement since late 2009. Finally, the statement says "inflation has picked up somewhat," although the committee still views the energy impulse as transitory. Taken together, a firmer inflation backdrop, a Fed that expects growth gradually to improve, and a housing market that has more light and less tunnel does not sound to us like a Fed that is expecting to provide further stimulus. As always, Fed policy is data dependent; if growth slows and the Fed's baseline does not materialize, then the story may change. But for now, the Fed appears comfortable staying "on hold." All told, today's statement affirms our baseline outlook that the maturity extension program will end in June and the Fed will not initiate a new asset purchase program. We see the Fed as maintaining its current policy stance while monitoring risks to the outlook.

Depends if you can separate this one from others - i think there's even another one that was posted in that sparked the virtual game I had running last year.

It's better to just keep this one. There was a lot of great information in the earlier pages. Plus you know the new one is going to have a bunch of newbies asking "Where do I find a good broker?" "I have X amount of money what should I do with it?" 
laugh.gif
The Jewelry  and Dressing Better thread are both over 1000 pages and running strong, so I don't see any reason to not continue.

Great to see a thread like this on NT... I was lurking NT the other day and noticed this thread and after not logging on NT for over 4 years this is what brought me back:b

It's better to just keep this one. There was a lot of great information in the earlier pages. Plus you know the new one is going to have a bunch of newbies asking "Where do I find a good broker?" "I have X amount of money what should I do with it?" 
laugh.gif
The Jewelry  and Dressing Better thread are both over 1000 pages and running strong, so I don't see any reason to not continue.

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom