Official Supreme Thread; F/W14; FAQ ON PG 1; vol. End of F/W Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
suggested retail is around 120? 

I would say more around 148-158.

I'm definitely passing on all the glasses. Like others have said, my ray-ban's have do me justice..the simplicity of my wayfraers definitely beat these, even with the supreme branding.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in the Supreme sunglasses because they're one of the only non Luxottica produced glasses out there right now, I'm afraid that the Japanese made ones are probably better suited for smaller people and would fit me terribly though.

I loved my ancient Ray-Ban aviators that were a hand me down from my dad that dated back to the 70s with the old B&L case, sadly I crushed the frames while packing/moving vinyl at my college radio station back in 07, and the prices on vintage pairs are kind of insane.

Since then I've had various pairs of glasses that I've picked up, mostly from the Luxottica owned brands and I have to say that none of them ever last me more than a 2 seasons before needing replacement.

I'd be interested in the Supreme sunglasses because they're one of the only non Luxottica produced glasses out there right now, I'm afraid that the Japanese made ones are probably better suited for smaller people and would fit me terribly though.

I loved my ancient Ray-Ban aviators that were a hand me down from my dad that dated back to the 70s with the old B&L case, sadly I crushed the frames while packing/moving vinyl at my college radio station back in 07, and the prices on vintage pairs are kind of insane.

Since then I've had various pairs of glasses that I've picked up, mostly from the Luxottica owned brands and I have to say that none of them ever last me more than a 2 seasons before needing replacement.
I had my Honey Brown Polarized New Wayfarer's since about 2007 and crushed them last year by accident. So 6 years without failure until I broke them accidentally is pretty good in my books.

I had my Honey Brown Polarized New Wayfarer's since about 2007 and crushed them last year by accident. So 6 years without failure until I broke them accidentally is pretty good in my books.

I just have a DEEP dislike for the luxottica company, I'll spend more money knowing that they aren't the ones getting it, but there's only a handful of brands that I can think of that aren't owned by them.

I just have a DEEP dislike for the luxottica company, I'll spend more money knowing that they aren't the ones getting it, but there's only a handful of brands that I can think of that aren't owned by them.
From where does this disdain stem? Also, what brand would you suggest as a quality alternative that sits around the same price point with similar options?

From where does this disdain stem? Also, what brand would you suggest as a quality alternative that sits around the same price point with similar options?

I think it all stems from how they jerked Oakley around and basically forced them into a buyout in 2007.

As for alternatives, you're basically limited to a handful of independent makers OR stuff owned by the OTHER big eyewear conglomerate.

Gargoyles is the one company that immediately sticks out as being independent, and there's a handful of new start up companies I've been looking into that are making eyewear in the US.

Look/See was one of them, but I'm not touching that company with a 10' pole seeing their head's involvement with the Nike Sample scandal.

Glasses being polarized is a must. Also like someone else mentioned, it's a little difficult to buy glasses without trying them on. Bought some sunglasses from Kith a couple years ago that I really like, however they are a little too small for my big dome. I still wear them here and there, but not nearly as much as my Raybans that I bought in-store.
Copped some ray-bans off an online sale once and they were way too small. Never again.

My brother is going to be in NYC this week and his head is bigger than mine 
laugh.gif
 gonna see if he can swing through and scoop for me.

Last edited:
I think it all stems from how they jerked Oakley around and basically forced them into a buyout in 2007.

How so?

From what I know about the buyout, Oakley was making acquisitions to bring luxury brands under their umbrella to put themselves in a new market and luxxotica pounced with an offer to squash competition, while gaining a share in the sports market and expanding Oakley globally.

Oakley cashed out, too. The ceo was holding majority of shares when the ~2 billion sale went through.

My memory might be a little fuzzy on the details especially since it wasn't companies I follow closely, but didn't all of the problems stem from luxottica locking Oakley out of their retail stores, at a time before internet commerce was really a big thing, back when Amazon was pretty much only selling books and CDs and zappos wasn't around yet, much less moving accessories.

the lockout basically screwed a good portion of consumers out of being able to have a legitimate source for Oakley outside of major markets, I remember how it went from oakelys being all over to disappearing when I was in high school (putting this in the mid90s)

when I noticed oakelys in my local shop again after a bit of digging I realized they were now owned by luxottica, and so we're almost everyone else.

sorry if this is disjointed im tapping it out while in line at work.

edit: looked into the buy out a bit more, turns out I'm wrong and you're right.

Doesn't lessen my dislike for the luxottica brand, just makes it irrational.

Last edited:
You overpaid.

Glad I scooped for Retail back in 2012.

You could ID a SB-less pair up until recently for $130.

Damn, you paid 450 w/o original box?...
Yeah... that's the original box. These were a 2012 release, that box era. I know so because I've almost bought this pair about 6 times in various places from flight club to eBay to Kixify and can never pull the trigger. Definitely a must have for me at some point. I wasn't able to cop when they released unfortunately...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom