***Official Tattoo Thread: Inked-4-Life Vol.2***

Fong your cuz does some nice work
pimp.gif

Sorta regret getting a single tatt on one of my arms, I have a couple of sailor Jerry pieces on one arm and a single piece on another
mean.gif
Pics?

Thanks for the props. I am sure my cousin would be happy to hear that his work is appreciated. Not to reign on his parade but he does have his downsides like any tattoo artists. His script isn't too great and sometimes he gets a lot of crap clientele that makes him do bad work just so he can get some money. Not everyone comes wanting to get something ellaborate. But at one point, he was even more miss then hit but I think he's balancing out now and producing some good work. Too bad he's not that into Japanese work cause I'd get something done by him in a heart beat. Maybe in like 5 more years when I really don't care how I look, I'll start getting some portraits or something.

First tattoo appt scheduled for tomorrow morn..

..will post pics

Question for those NTers whos have tats and smoke tree.. would you recommend burning before getting inked??? (inner bicep)

Please respond

do ya get tattoos for the hell of it? or is there a meaning to everyone. and is it something meaningful or what?

I've said this countless of times on the old post and I guess I'll say it again.

In my opinion....tattoos are all a personal thing. Whether you get it because of a death in the family, drunkeness, hype, or whatever.....everyone will have their own reasons and they are all acceptable. I struggled hard on my first tattoo and wanted something with meaning but also wanted something unique. By the end of it, I went the cool route and got some interesting artwork from a Japanese artists on my arm and the only correlation it had to me is that I am also Japanese as well. Do I regret it? Yes and no. Although I wish I would have gotten something different, I think almost everyone’s first tattoo is regrettable to a certain degree. As you get more, you understand tattoos better and wish you had this knowledge from the start. I don’t think mine is nearly as bad as other people’s tattoos but I wish I could have just started getting a sleeve off the bat.

It’s rare that people can execute getting tattoos properly. I tell people all the time my opinions on how to get tattoos and I don’t think more then half of them listen. Unfortunately money and time play more of a factor then just getting a tattoo that makes sense. So imo, I think you really have to go into getting tattoos with no regret. Enjoy them for the experience cause it’s something you did in life. It is artwork but it’s also the memories of when and where you got them. If that isn’t all that important to you and you are scared to get anything in fear of you hating it in the long run, then save yourself the hassle and don’t even get into this whole thing at all.
I

I still can't get myself to do any lettering on my body. As cool as it looks sometimes, I think I'd just look dumb with something like that.
Have to put my cousin on blast for a bit as he's getting better each time I see him do more work. If anyone is down in the LA area, please check him out and see if he's an artist you'd want to get some work by. Rates aren't that crazy and he's a really good dude.
http://skanvastattoo.com (Dustin Yip)
This is all of his better work. He is a hit and miss sometimes but for someone that has been doing it for only 4 years or so, he's come a long way:

25c26014141511e28b9422000a1c9e12_7.jpg

Ive never seen a nicer tiger done.
Props to your cousin. His portraits seem amazing

Last edited:

This tattoo trend has turned into what barbwire and tribal pieces are now. See so many frail kids at my gym with this style and placement tattoo.

If you plan on getting inked for life at least try to be original and unique.

Last edited:
This tattoo trend has turned into what barbwire and tribal pieces are now. See so many frail kids at my gym with this style and placement tattoo.
If you plan on getting inked for life at least try to be original and unique.
Nothing you are going to get inked is going to be original or unique. I dont think the point of getting tattoos is to be original or unique. Granted they may just get the tattoo to look cool, and IMO thats fine. As long as its good work and it wont be regrettable. Lettering is a classic style of tattoo. The problem I have with chest lettering tattoo is when it looks too small for the chest. I think it should be big and bold, and have the letters be a good size, not some wimpy small lettering.

This I think is too small.

This looks too small too, and the spacing makes it look odd.

First tattoo appt scheduled for tomorrow morn..
..will post pics
Question for those NTers whos have tats and smoke tree.. would you recommend burning before getting inked??? (inner bicep)
Please respond

My best word of advice is do not even consider this! I went with my friend when he was in the clouds getting his tattoo and it was on his inner bicep and he said that pain was intensified by about 5 times. Weed can also apparently have a thinning effect on the blood and make you bleed more (according to a tattoo artist I talked to) and some artists will actually refuse to work on you if you're under the influence. I wouldn't advise it.

My best word of advice is do not even consider this! I went with my friend when he was in the clouds getting his tattoo and it was on his inner bicep and he said that pain was intensified by about 5 times. Weed can also apparently have a thinning effect on the blood and make you bleed more (according to a tattoo artist I talked to) and some artists will actually refuse to work on you if you're under the influence. I wouldn't advise it.

Don't even take Advil before hand. Tattoos are what it is and the pain is part of it. It hurts but it's not excruciating. I think pulling a muscle is way worse and would take tattooing over that any day.

Lettering is a tough thing with tattoos. So much is considered and it's not just the spelling. The spacing between the letters and the sentence play a big part. In the design world, it's called tracking and kerning. You don't want letters too far but yet, you don't want them too close. Everything has to be perfect in order for ti to look proper.

110405-BTS-Kerning-Tracking.jpg

Don't even take Advil before hand. Tattoos are what it is and the pain is part of it. It hurts but it's not excruciating. I think pulling a muscle is way worse and would take tattooing over that any day.

110405-BTS-Kerning-Tracking.jpg

Completely agreed! The pain was actually almost a positive part of my tattoo. Part of me hated it and I wanted to just quit near the end but if it wasn't for the pain I really don't think I'd appreciate the tattoo so much.

repped. appreciate the advice.. ^^ thats what i was afraid of

..Ill just blaze afterwards lol

Its also recommended not to drink any alcohol at least 24 hours before getting tatted.
Guess it has to do with blood thinning, same as with trees.

repped. appreciate the advice.. ^^ thats what i was afraid of
..Ill just blaze afterwards lol

It's really not as bad as you think and honestly every time that I've gotten tattooed I didn't even want to be high at all. Your mind will only be on one thing and one thing only. You'll be fine.

BTW is anyone in here from Pennsylvania? I'm being tattooed by Ron Russo on February 16th. He works out of 570 tattoos.

Had my fourth session on my halfsleeve today. Today we did the hourglass as you might see from the redness. The next one will be in a month and is the last session. The cherry blossom will be colored and the bottom waves will be touched up (for some reason the wave right underneath the rose is much darker. so the transition from dark to light will get better next time).

^^^^Very cool. I like the subtle wind bars and the spot color for the flowers will be a nice touch. Very cool overall.

Another 2 hour session today, did the background work from the shoulder down to the elbow. Bicep wasnt painful to me at all, tricep was worse and the ditch was unbearable.

Yo Frongstar check out Orks from under the gun tattoo shop in LA. His lettering is seriously some of the best in the game. I wouldn't count on him for a portrait but his lettering is amazing. He's a graffiti artists also which can explain why his lettering is so on point. I feel you on the lettering because as a graff writer the spacing and clean lines is everything. He has an Instagram you should check out

^^^^Very cool. I like the subtle wind bars and the spot color for the flowers will be a nice touch. Very cool overall.
Thanks man! I'm very curious to see how the end result will look like when the flowers are done. Will have to wait for about 1,5 month to see.
How do yall come up with the final designs? 
The artist should be capable of drawing the final design based on a few ideas and directions.

I've said this countless of times on the old post and I guess I'll say it again.
In my opinion....tattoos are all a personal thing. Whether you get it because of a death in the family, drunkeness, hype, or whatever.....everyone will have their own reasons and they are all acceptable. I struggled hard on my first tattoo and wanted something with meaning but also wanted something unique. By the end of it, I went the cool route and got some interesting artwork from a Japanese artists on my arm and the only correlation it had to me is that I am also Japanese as well. Do I regret it? Yes and no. Although I wish I would have gotten something different, I think almost everyone’s first tattoo is regrettable to a certain degree. As you get more, you understand tattoos better and wish you had this knowledge from the start. I don’t think mine is nearly as bad as other people’s tattoos but I wish I could have just started getting a sleeve off the bat.

QFT. I wish I would have done that on my first tattoo also. Now I get to spend more money to go back and add to it. You live and learn though.

Back
Top Bottom