***Official Tattoo Thread: Inked-4-Life Vol.2***

I just realized I didnt post a picture with my last post lol.

Oddly, the bicep did not really hurt all that much. The ditch was pretty bad like I said, and some places around the tricep.

Next session is 1/20. I hope I can sneak in an appointment before then, background is only done down to my elbow, looks kinda funny right now.

cheers and rep'd

Never doubt your artist, you can have a semi complete idea and the artist can just make it come to life. You arent just paying for the actual tattoo, youre paying for the design as well.
In another thread someone posted that each artist has a specialization. How do I figure out what artist fits the job? Just go in and chat with the guy?

In another thread someone posted that each artist has a specialization. How do I figure out what artist fits the job? Just go in and chat with the guy?
Just type in his name on google and you can pretty much find out by looking at his portfolio. Some artists will straight up say "specialize in...".

For some artists, they only do that one type of tattoo. A lot of Japanese artists do well, obviously Japanese and only Japanese. Maybe some black and grey here and there, but their bread and butter is Japanese. My artist that does my Japanese sleeve (Rodrigo Melo) did everything early in his career and pretty much only does Japanese now cause thats what he really likes to do.

Some artists do exceptionally well in traditional type tattoos, and might not be as skilled in black and grey. Vice versa.

A lot of artists are well rounded, 10-15 minutes of research is all it takes to find out what artist fits your idea. If anything, a quick call wont hurt either.

What are your takes on having two sleeves in very different styles?

My left arm is more of a western style (demon and a cherub).

I've been wanting to go a traditional japanese style on my right arm..but not too sure if it will contrast too much.

I asked my artists and he said as long as the japanese isn't going to be anything TOO "out there", it should be fine.

Just wanted to get some of your opinions.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I've been wanting to go a traditional japanese style on my right arm..but not too sure if it will contrast too much.
I asked my artists and he said as long as the japanese isn't going to be anything TOO "out there", it should be fine.
Thanks everyone!

I think it is all up to what you want. It is your body and you should get what you want. I have two very different sleeves, full tribal on my left and japanese on the right.

Only pic I could find with both arms shown, at our corporate games.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!
gsxrpaul, nice tats man! Not a huge fan of tribal but the line work looks nice on that. More pics of the Japanese?

And I have traditional on my right forearm, black and white/traditional elements on my right arm elbow up, eventually gonna gray out everything inbetween my forearm and "connect" it with my upper arm.

My left arm will be traditional Japanese. I dont think it looks weird at all. I dont know what youre artist means by "too out there". Thats a very common thing to have two different sleeves.

I just realized I didnt post a picture with my last post lol.

Oddly, the bicep did not really hurt all that much. The ditch was pretty bad like I said, and some places around the tricep.

Next session is 1/20. I hope I can sneak in an appointment before then, background is only done down to my elbow, looks kinda funny right now.

That's two hours of work? Wow....seems like he covered a lot. Looks good.

^^^That's what I mean. I thought shading takes some time. I mean the coloring for my dragon tool forever.....granted it was lot of different color. I thought shading would be just as long because there is more area to cover. I guess I should book an appointment soon. I can do 2 hours.

gsxrpaul, nice tats man! Not a huge fan of tribal but the line work looks nice on that. More pics of the Japanese?

And I have traditional on my right forearm, black and white/traditional elements on my right arm elbow up, eventually gonna gray out everything inbetween my forearm and "connect" it with my upper arm.

My left arm will be traditional Japanese. I dont think it looks weird at all. I dont know what youre artist means by "too out there". Thats a very common thing to have two different sleeves.

Last edited:
Yo Frongstar check out Orks from under the gun tattoo shop in LA. His lettering is seriously some of the best in the game. I wouldn't count on him for a portrait but his lettering is amazing. He's a graffiti artists also which can explain why his lettering is so on point. I feel you on the lettering because as a graff writer the spacing and clean lines is everything. He has an Instagram you should check out

thanks for throwing that name out there, i haven't seen any of his lettering work but this vid shows a really nice piece of his.

Yo Frongstar check out Orks from under the gun tattoo shop in LA. His lettering is seriously some of the best in the game. I wouldn't count on him for a portrait but his lettering is amazing. He's a graffiti artists also which can explain why his lettering is so on point. I feel you on the lettering because as a graff writer the spacing and clean lines is everything. He has an Instagram you should check out

I just checked out their whole site. Interesting how LA guys have such a distinct style. Almost everyone from that shop tattoos exactly the same. And most of them hardly tattoo in color nor do hard outlines. Again, maybe it is an LA thing cause even my cousin tattoos like those guys. Some of those guys are better then others but most of them are decent.

http://www.utgink.com/

And saw this on the 7th Son blog. Two foo dog half sleeves:

tumblr_mdx65yMyHF1qk9t5qo1_500.jpg
tumblr_mdx646GzQX1qk9t5qo1_500.jpg

And some others from the blog:

tumblr_mdkab84qD21qk9t5qo1_500.jpg
tumblr_md7435sXdQ1qiahsao1_500.jpg
tumblr_md97esjJx01qiahsao1_500.jpg
tumblr_me8gu9HA7a1qiahsao1_500.jpg
tumblr_mctuua5Y081qk9t5qo1_500.jpg
tumblr_mcql81AHJX1qk9t5qo1_500.jpg
tumblr_mcgvz81PN71qk9t5qo1_500.jpg

http://seventhsontattoo.tumblr.com/

Do Asians/Chinese find it offensive if someone of another race has a Foo Dog? That red one up there is too 
pimp.gif

Do Asians/Chinese find it offensive if someone of another race has a Foo Dog? That red one up there is too :pimp:

Do what you feel, although you will get laughed at if you get a Chinese character that says "strength" or "courage" or something

I feel like people grossly overestimated the pain of getting tatted on the inner bicep..

..maybe i just have a higher tolerance for pain but in my experience it wasnt all that serious *shrugs*

anyway, first tat "Psalms 56:11" and i kinda already want another one on the other arm

I like it.. not really that picky since it was free and my boy did it

Do Asians/Chinese find it offensive if someone of another race has a Foo Dog? That red one up there is too :pimp:

From my perspective.....no but I only speak as an Asian American who lives in SF. The asians that I think who take it as offensive are people that have issues with other races in general. The whole tattoo thing is just something to argue about more so then it is disrespectful. I don't think Japanese people have issues with other races getting Japanese inspired tattoos. Plus most people who get them are really into the culture and don't treat it as just a gimmick of some sorts. Even the tattooers who do mostly do asian tattoos are heavily into the culture and do the research to know what to do and what not to do. I am sure they know more then what I know anyways.

From my perspective.....no but I only speak as an Asian American who lives in SF. The asians that I think who take it as offensive are people that have issues with other races in general. The whole tattoo thing is just something to argue about more so then it is disrespectful. I don't think Japanese people have issues with other races getting Japanese inspired tattoos. Plus most people who get them are really into the culture and don't treat it as just a gimmick of some sorts. Even the tattooers who do mostly do asian tattoos are heavily into the culture and do the research to know what to do and what not to do. I am sure they know more then what I know anyways.
Word up, thats what I thought. I personally would never get one anyway but that one up there is sick and i would want something very similar.

Disrespectful? no,Unless you mean disrespect. No matter what someone will always have something to say about your tattoo whether it be good or bad. That's why when you get a tattoo, don't worry about impressing others just worry about getting something you will like. The biggest mistake I think people make in getting a tattoo is that people try to find meaning in what they want, making it too complicated and over doing it. Ultimately getting stuck with something they didn't really want in order to impress others. What I'm trying to say is. Keep it real, if you like dragons get a dragon, if you like tribal, get tribal. No need to sugar coat it and make up some bs on why you got it. People ask me all the time what my tattoos mean. My reply,"Nothing, i just like how it looks"

Last edited:
Is it just me or south florida is lacking good tattoo artists. All the tattoos that i like is always from Cali or Northeast. Im trying to find someone to do similar work like LIL B from Lowrider.

Is it just me or south florida is lacking good tattoo artists. All the tattoos that i like is always from Cali or Northeast. Im trying to find someone to do similar work like LIL B from Lowrider.

Im sure there are good artists down there, but probably not as abundant simply cause of the weather. People avoid getting large pieces in the summer time here in the NE cause its harder to heal with the heat/sweat/sun/etc. Florida weather woudnt be ideal for tattoos.

Back
Top Bottom