***Official Tattoo Thread: Inked-4-Life Vol.2***

Sup NTatts?

I'm new to the game and about to get inked. I have darker skin (think Andrew Bynum complexion), Any tips on what to look out for/what questions to ask an artist or do you know of any artists in SoCal that specialize in darker skin. I want the work to stand out on my skin. Can anybody shed any light? Thanks guys.

Show them the concept. Ask around. When you find one you will definitely know that is him by the confidence and passion he has in his work. I have noticed that tattoo artist dont keep work on dark skin in their portfolio so you just have to gauge their response. Go to metropolitan areas since that is where the bulk of black people live (at least in my experience)

Be careful with small details. Black ink fades unevenly on black skin once it heals so the contrast won't be as much. Sometimes it will even blend together. Because of this avoid small details as much as possible.

Thank you so much man. Will do. Repped. And good looks on the detail advice. Didn't even think about that.

Yah. If you want somethings face (person or animal) I advise to go large. It will look much better.

Nas cover up of kelis tattoo - fully healed

Kelis-Tattoo-Cover-up.png

Keep in mind Nas is fair skinned so he can get this small with a talented artist. Yours will likely need to be larger.

^This is how I recommend doing portraits and animals. Use the black skin as the white part of the paper if you were drawing on printer paper. Get dark outlines and somewhat dark shading. It will likely come out stylistic (comparable to graphic novels, paintings, or comic books). Unless you go LARGE photorealism isnt an option

This is how tattoos heal on us darkies.

So you can see how that would be problematic if you had a small tattoo that lost that much detail and color.

Just for comparison a healed tattoo of similar subject matter on a white dude
Malcolm.jpg

Notice the hair? You cant do that on dark skin even tho it is closer to the original image

malcolm-x-pose-030509.jpg

Notice how wale had to go dark because it lightened up so much when it healed.

I also recommend you avoid blotches of black.

Last edited:
Also if you are swelling hardcore during the tattoo session, instead of lighting up as it heals it will darken (think of how a balloon is darker before you blow air into it). A lot of tattoo artist don't realize this so watch out for that.

Getting a foo dog that'll be surrounding my family crest. Can't wait to see what my artist comes up with.

Except the NY thread. :lol: Anyway, they're roasting you.

I said a lot of threads. The NYC thread interested me. Megan Fox don't.

Yah I don't care. This is NT. Full of internet thugs. It aint that serious.

Edit: Just skimmed it. It aint even serious

Last edited:
^Sipy those pieces are bang-on, good job on getting them done.

How was the lower leg for you? That's where my next piece is going to be and I find my legs are less sensitive than my arms, but that could just be wishful thinking...

^Sipy those pieces are bang-on, good job on getting them done.

How was the lower leg for you? That's where my next piece is going to be and I find my legs are less sensitive than my arms, but that could just be wishful thinking...
Frankly, the shins were fairly easy which surprised me. Feeling your bone vibrate for a few hours is the odd part.

My calves sucked big time for sure. Depends on your muscle to fat ratio. I dont have much insulation so yeah...haha

But I also had them pounded on for 6+ hours straight. 

The foot wasnt half bad until he started to get to the toe areas and sides. 

Ankle sucks...a lot. 

Last edited:
Mayimbe181 you going to cut all that hair off? Are you sticking to the asian theme for your head tattoo? Does this mean you can be my supreme and sneaker connect since we have the same artist?? LoL
Sup man, yeah imma shave my head next year around november so i can wear a beanie when i get it done. im probably getting a huge ganesh head on my head or a devil mask or a huge money cat. either or im getting it done and letting the hair grow back and only shaving my head for conventions.

Frankly, the shins were fairly easy which surprised me. Feeling your bone vibrate for a few hours is the odd part.
 My calves sucked big time for sure. Depends on your muscle to fat ratio. I dont have much insulation so yeah...haha
 But I also had them pounded on for 6+ hours straight. 

The foot wasnt half bad until he started to get to the toe areas and sides. 
Ankle sucks...a lot. 

Cool, thanks man. I figured the calves wouldn't be a pleasant experience, regardless of how much insulation I'm packing there haha.

I found my foot twitchy, which isn't too surprising considering how sensitive it is and how many nerves you're hitting in the area. Took me longer to get into a groove too, which is why I'm trying to get all of my pieces done before my pain tolerance is totally shot...

Last edited:
Sup man, yeah imma shave my head next year around november so i can wear a beanie when i get it done. im probably getting a huge ganesh head on my head or a devil mask or a huge money cat. either or im getting it done and letting the hair grow back and only shaving my head for conventions.
Hanya mask would be dope on the head.

So a concept I designed a while back is being used by capital steez. Not the same exact design but the concept is the same. Don't even want to do it anymore.

By the way, anyone have any images of a dope as knight?

Getting my back done in a month, need to find a good image

He actually gave me a chance to book with him at a NYC tattoo convention but he told me he wasnt sure how to handle dark skin. I had to pass. But it was $400 an hour min 10 hours. If i was light skinned i would do it fo sho.
Also I think this sleeve is better
NikiNorberg031.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom