***Official Tattoo Thread: Inked-4-Life Vol.2***

Dont think about it too much, its fine if theres a little shine. IMO Aquaphor is better than A&D, but in any case, 2-3 times a day, light layer. Do that for 3 days, then switch to non scented lotion like Lubriderm or Aveeno.

Thanks bro. I'll do the switch 3 days after wednesday. I'm goin in on wednesday to get some shading done around the lines.

Why didnt you just get it done at once? That tattoo shoudnt of taken no longer than a half hour, if that.

He had a customer after me getting a full sized back portrait done that had mixed up dates on him, so he had already been waiting an hour and a half while we worked out the details and stuff on mine. I asked if he'd wanna do the shading then or start on dude after me, he said just come in on Wednesday and hell do it then. Covered by what I paid him that day.

I'm not trippin man. It's really not a big deal. I'm just happy that the tattoo came out the way I wanted it.

How moisturized should I keep my new tat? I got it done yesterday.. I got some A&D, heard that you're supposed to put on just enough to moisturize it, but if it's shiny then you put too much? :nerd:

Everybody is different, but my artist said no ointment ever and only unscented lotion after about 4 days. He said just washing it with antibacterial soap and leaving dry will let it heal on its own. I can't argue cause mine healed great and keeping it moist all the time won't let it heal in the beginning.

Everybody is different, but my artist said no ointment ever and only unscented lotion after about 4 days. He said just washing it with antibacterial soap and leaving dry will let it heal on its own. I can't argue cause mine healed great and keeping it moist all the time won't let it heal in the beginning.

THIS right here. the first ingredient in A&D, petroleum I believe? pulls out ink while its fresh. thats why you see little balls of ink when applying it. wash with non scented dial soap in the AM and at night. DRY heal is the best method imho. no lotions or ointment

THIS right here. the first ingredient in A&D, petroleum I believe? pulls out ink while its fresh. thats why you see little balls of ink when applying it. wash with non scented dial soap in the AM and at night. DRY heal is the best method imho. no lotions or ointment
It depends on the person. Aquaphor >>>> AD. Taking care of a new tattoo isnt the science that some people make it out to be, of course if its your first tattoo you wanna be extra careful. Ive dry healed before on the simple fact that I either forgot to get Aquaphor or by the time I got off my lazy *** to get a tube, it was past the 3 day ointment period, tattoos still came out fine.

Id highly recommend Aquaphor before you try to dry heal though.

Last edited:
Everybody should just follow there own artists recommendations to be honest. Everybody heals differently and different skin reacts different ways to the process and/or whatever you apply thereafter. I personally will always go for the dry heal because it worked for me and I can see the issues with applying ointment. My artist actually straight said never use aquaphor when I said I had some after the first session.

I myself have pretty sensitive skin, the the shaving and general damage the needle inflicts causes me ingrowns and or pimples during the healing process. I have a feeling if I put some thing like aquaphor on it would be even worse since my skin wouldnt breath at all.

Every artist ive had said to use ointment, particularly the Aquaphor. It promotes healing and doesnt clog your skin, but everyone does heal differently and if it works for you then stick to it.

Just do whatever works. I use aquaphor for one day because it's gross. Then switch to lotion. Just keep it clean and don't clog your pores. Anything else is just for comfort on your end.

my half sleeve in progress, still have one more session hopefully. Adding wind bars, waves and he still has to finish the foo dog ball and the top of the buddha head.

look like what?  Top pic isnt the best quality, taken with blackberry bold camera. You dont need a bold outline, lots of tatts are done with minimal outlining, as long as the artist doesnt shade and bleed it everywhere.

Last edited:
Everybody should just follow there own artists recommendations to be honest. Everybody heals differently and different skin reacts different ways to the process and/or whatever you apply thereafter. I personally will always go for the dry heal because it worked for me and I can see the issues with applying ointment. My artist actually straight said never use aquaphor when I said I had some after the first session.

I myself have pretty sensitive skin, the the shaving and general damage the needle inflicts causes me ingrowns and or pimples during the healing process. I have a feeling if I put some thing like aquaphor on it would be even worse since my skin wouldnt breath at all.
yeah, i have real sensitive skin, eczema etcc.. vitamin e ointment def causes breaks out for me long term. So i keep the ointment to a minimal, im talking like first day, maybe 2. copious amounts of unscented lotion has done me fine for my dry skin.

look like what?  Top pic isnt the best quality, taken with blackberry bold camera. You dont need a bold outline, lots of tatts are done with minimal outlining, as long as the artist doesnt shade and bleed it everywhere.
Show me a Japanese sleeve that has no bold outline.

Youre going to have wind bars and waves, of course youre gonna need a bold outline. Its going to lose its power if it doesnt. Theres only a few type of tattoos that can go with the no outline look, and even then some look sketchy.

oh i agree, this isnt quite exactly japanese style though. His style is realism. It just so happens i choose asian related items. He has already told me the backround will be very subtle, just to fill in space.

oh i agree, this isnt quite exactly japanese style though. His style is realism. It just so happens i choose asian related items. He has already told me the backround will be very subtle, just to fill in space.

At least in the long run, you can go back and do some hard outlines if you want to. As tattoos fade, that piece could get muggy in the long run just cause it seems so light to begin with. Since you aren't done, I can imagine he could even clean it up at the last session.

And hard outlines are sort of japanese style. Even Cartoon gets down with it when he does some of his Japanese influence. Bold lines just stand the test of time. In the long run, those detailed tattoos will not look good and even those plane looking sailor tattoos will look better than that. Of course it all depends on your skin and how you take care of it but ink will expand and detailed work will kind of lose its look.

tn_P2230593-copy.jpg
559932_10153908692180414_987386945_n.jpg

And speaking of Mister Cartoon, I saw this while googling those pics above. Baller tattooed his wife on his chest? That's a bold move my dude.

NIC-LONDON-TATTOO.jpg

yeah i understand where your coming from, ive yet to see any of his work with hard or bold outlines. Your right in 10-20  years id prob get my stuff touched up anyways. Im def going to ask him to go over some spots. Few of my buddys have stuff from him 5 plus years, still looks pretty good. He def is very light handed though.

I really like Asian style. I've been contemplating what to get as an Asian tattoo. I dont want to do something that is overdone.

I've been thinking Amaterasu but there is very few depictions of her. Hell when you google the name you get the pic of the dog from Okami.

I'd be cool not getting anything and using that space for something more thought out.

Last edited:
Asian? You mean Japanese?

Dont think about it too much, if you want a koi fish, get a koi fish for example. I didnt care how "cliche" it is, ive wanted it for years and got it.

Amaterasu is just one example.

Japanese is cool. Khmer/Cambodian is cool too. So I dont mean Japanese.

I wanted a toad with a coin in its mouth but I wanted it to be realistic, which prolly won't work in my skin tone. But that is Chinese imagery

My favorite is Khmer/Cambodian script but unless I meet someone who isn't an artist (want an unbiased source) who for sure knows the language, I won't even risk it. I also like those simple 2d designs that usually accompany Cambodian tats but too much detail for my skin tone.

Amaterasu is just one example.

Japanese is cool. Khmer/Cambodian is cool too. So I dont mean Japanese.

I wanted a toad with a coin in its mouth but I wanted it to be realistic, which prolly won't work in my skin tone. But that is Chinese imagery

My favorite is Khmer/Cambodian script but unless I meet someone who isn't an artist (want an unbiased source) who for sure knows the language, I won't even risk it. I also like those simple 2d designs that usually accompany Cambodian tats but too much detail for my skin tone.

sunshine, just wondering, are you Cambodian?? i ask only because, as a cambodian person, i'm always interested in seeing what cambodian-related art folks get.

in any case, check out Tattoo Bandit at California King's Tattoo. One of the best cambodian artists i've seen.

Back
Top Bottom