Official tax refund thread vol. for the 2015 tax year

Just tried to file electronically with H&R but good ol TX won't allow me to pay for the filing out of my return so I gotta pay out of pocket....blah
Just do turbo tax
Sooooo damn easy and free
I ended up paying 29.99 by accidentally upgrading
And couldn't figure out how to downgrade
CS rep was giving me the run around
And just figured that's what I get for rushing
so I just paid :lol:

Just do turbo tax
so I just paid
laugh.gif
Minus whale, I'll do it when I get home

Yooooooo getting that letter in the mail that u may owe is the worst
I had that letter twice
Had to show proof of my kids living with me and the whole 9
The first time was kinda hard
Cause my kids weren't in school yet so really no paperwork for my kids to show proof of address
Had to get insurance documents and other things as proof of address for them
Second time was easier since they were in school
Both times it was my kids mom tryna claim them
Thankfully I was able to provide proof and not owe

Reminds me of my first year after getting kicked out of my Moms place.

She claimed me on her taxes again and when i went to file it said I had already been claimed. I called her and asked her if she claimed me, she said no. I told her I'd call the IRS then and they'll audit to see who did it, all of a sudden it was "why would you do that to me? you'd really do that?"

:smh: let her go and told her to pay me the $660 I would have gotten in my return from her fat return. She hit me with $600 and stopped talking to me.

Yooooooo getting that letter in the mail that u may owe is the worst
I had that letter twice
Had to show proof of my kids living with me and the whole 9
The first time was kinda hard
Cause my kids weren't in school yet so really no paperwork for my kids to show proof of address
Had to get insurance documents and other things as proof of address for them
Second time was easier since they were in school
Both times it was my kids mom tryna claim them
Thankfully I was able to provide proof and not owe

Reminds me of my first year after getting kicked out of my Moms place.

She claimed me on her taxes again and when i went to file it said I had already been claimed. I called her and asked her if she claimed me, she said no. I told her I'd call the IRS then and they'll audit to see who did it, all of a sudden it was "why would you do that to me? you'd really do that?"

:smh: let her go and told her to pay me the $660 I would have gotten in my return from her fat return. She hit me with $600 and stopped talking to me.
Damn :smh: be crazy how folks be acting about tax money

Just do turbo tax

so I just paid :lol:

Minus whale, I'll do it when I get home
I was shocked by how easy it was. Got basically what I was expecting for free. And they were both approved by the IRS in about a day.

Just playing the waiting game, now.

Yeah they got accepted about 30 min after I sent EM
Word is we should get a ddd for filers between the Jan 18-24th around feb 5th

Quick question for those who know on this topic does the 401k early withdrawal penalty gets reduced from your return or do they bill you afterwards once you file?

Started my taxes haven't submitted yet was able to dodge the medical insurance penalty bc I was insured for half of 2015 and the rest of the year I put it was too expensive. So far getting back 1k from fed but owe $800 to the state. 

Last edited:
Did turbotax (didnt officialy file yet) last night. Went on HR block site to match the results and thankfully it was the same.
Getting more than I expected back. I usually do 0 on the exemptions (I think that's what it's called) on my paychecks, but last year I did "1" so I thought I would be getting back less.

Getting a nice little chunk back...enough to give myself a nice cushion in my bank account. Thank God.

I think I'll file tonight.

Last edited:
I went to h&r block on Friday
Just to see if numbers matched up
They did
So right before he pressed send to efile
I told him hold up
I'll be back I got an emergency(had my girl fake call)
Told him I'll be right back
Went home and efiled with turbo tax :lol:

Looks like my days of big returns are over
Even with 2 kids
I'm only getting 819 back for federal
And zero state
Though i never get a big amount from state
Usually like $19
Last year was like $49
I guess I should be glad cause I get more money in my checks throughout the year
But not getting those 3-4 racks is kinda a letdown
I am making substantially more now so I can't be tooooo mad though

did you do this so you wouldn't pay the guy?

They did
I told him hold up

Even with 2 kids
And zero state
Usually like $19
Last year was like $49
I guess I should be glad cause I get more money in my checks throughout the year

I wouldn't be paying him per say but h&r block
And yes so I wouldn't have to pay h&r block
His figures matched mine and that all I wanted to make sure of

Dont forget there is nothing wrong with owing any money... All that means is that you borrowed money from the Government at an interest free rate

Just dont let it exceed $1500 that you owe

Now if you're getting a large return, its reversed... That's money that you should be getting back throughout the year but the Government is burrowing from you at an interest free rate

You want to stay in the range of "X"...

-$1500

I just hate the idea of owing the state or federal government money. Period.

I have a feeling that a "miscommunication" would happen on how much I owe and when I need to pay it by and it would end up w/ me getting charged 2x the original amount I owed. I'd rather claim 0 and take my $1500+ return.

They did
I told him hold up

Even with 2 kids
And zero state
Usually like $19
Last year was like $49

I wouldn't be paying him per say but h&r block
And yes so I wouldn't have to pay h&r block
His figures matched mine and that all I wanted to make sure of

:lol: bro.

Dont forget there is nothing wrong with owing any money... All that means is that you borrowed money from the Government at an interest free rate

Just dont let it exceed $1500 that you owe

Now if you're getting a large return, its reversed... That's money that you should be getting back throughout the year but the Government is burrowing from you at an interest free rate

You want to stay in the range of "X"...

-$1500
You aren't borrowing money from the government if you owe. You just didn't give them enough money out of your paycheck throughout the year.

For people who owe money and don't want to owe, lower your withholding on your W4. I recommend using turbo tax caster to see how to adjust your witholdings so you won't owe, or figure out an estimate of your tax refund.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

Just started with a new contractor today. Gonna continue claiming 0 and having $20 withheld a week. Gonna kick it up to $40 later on.

Quick question for those who know on this topic does the 401k early withdrawal penalty gets reduced from your return or do they bill you afterwards once you file?

Started my taxes haven't submitted yet was able to dodge the medical insurance penalty bc I was insured for half of 2015 and the rest of the year I put it was too expensive. So far getting back 1k from fed but owe $800 to the state. 

Early withdrawal penalty of 10% Federal is an additional tax. So yes it reduces your refund or adds to the amount if you owe. Also remember the gross amount withdrawn is added to your gross income so you have to pay tax on that.

Yeah don't voluntarily pay that Obamacare tax penalty... let them bill you.

First time filing taxes myself this year, what should I be aware of before doing so? I have two w-2's. I'm a college student and requested a unsubsidized loan for the 2015 Fall and Spring 2016 semester. Single not claiming anyone. It should be pretty straightforward when using the free application right?

Early withdrawal penalty of 10% Federal is an additional tax. So yes it reduces your refund or adds to the amount if you owe. Also remember the gross amount withdrawn is added to your gross income so you have to pay tax on that.

Yeah don't voluntarily pay that Obamacare tax penalty... let them bill you.
Yeah I did it again to make sure everything was right and finally submitted. They counted the 401k amount as income and it reduced my return by 1k, also added to what I owe. But it didn't say the Obamacare tax penalty would be billed to me later and it did not add to the amount I owe. It just said I qualified for it to be waived.

Last edited:
First time filing taxes myself this year, what should I be aware of before doing so? I have two w-2's. I'm a college student and requested a unsubsidized loan for the 2015 Fall and Spring 2016 semester. Single not claiming anyone. It should be pretty straightforward when using the free application right?
I believe if you are filing as head of household making under 90k you can apply for a few education credits.  Look into it...

Thanks for the info and I will get a 2nd opinion...

He's always telling me to go the itemization route because it makes no sense why someone with my salary would "use" the same standard deduction as a person making much less. However I don't save any receipts and I don't want to get into any problems with the IRS.

it depends if you actually have itemized deductions. you conceivably could make 6 figures and it still might benefit you to use the standard deduction.

For you guys talking about different softwares/the dude testing the HR Block guy to make sure the figures matched :smile:lol) all softwares will give you the same result if the numbers are entered the same. and for that matter, the guy at HR block behind the desk is basically using what you would use to file on your own. Unless you miss entering something, there wont be a difference.

it depends if you actually have itemized deductions. you conceivably could make 6 figures and it still might benefit you to use the standard deduction.

For you guys talking about different softwares/the dude testing the HR Block guy to make sure the figures matched (
laugh.gif
) all softwares will give you the same result if the numbers are entered the same. and for that matter, the guy at HR block behind the desk is basically using what you would use to file on your own. Unless you miss entering something, there wont be a difference.
quicker to input too... you ever go in and their system is really slow 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom