Official Tax Season Thread? vol Splash Out m8

For those asking about w4s. I use this
It’s a withholding chart that shows you your expected amount withheld under the 3 new scenarios (single/married/HoH)

One does sort of need to predict what you will be making for the entire year. But it’s pretty simple.

I also use an app called taxcaster. For 95% of americans, it's a 2-3 step process.

You have your set yearly income. Subtract deductions and that becomes your taxable income. That gets taxed at different marginal rates. That becomes your federal tax owed amount. One could then divide that by 52, or 26 (or whatever your pay period is) to get an idea of what needs to be withheld.

Mister Meaner Mister Meaner I think your tax girl is either lying to you, or going way beyond the credits and deductions with lies. There isn’t many tricks or ploys available. A single person making $100,000 for the year will have a tax liability of $15,253. There is little getting beyond that. Now unless youwithheld $20k, you'd honestly just be getting your money back.

I don't know why so many families with kids don't choose to exempt themselves. They would receive the child credit, which is usually enough to pay off any tax liability. Instead they withhold ZERO, have huge amounts taken out every paycheck, and then also receive the child credit.

Now in the above example, say you still make $100,000, but are married with two kids under 16. Your liability drops to $4687. Yet so many get back a lot because they aren't adjusting their w-4.

Not many go beyond the $12,200 standard deduction, so your tax lady may have fudged some numbers to lessen your liability. But at the end of the day for so so many, they aren't working magic. You simply witheld too much. Now they may portray it as such. So it's best to sort of know what you make, and what's ultimately owed

Last edited:
My dad usually does my taxes with the HR block software. This year I decided to bring it to the actual location to see if maybe one of the pros had some tricks or whatever and could get me more because my dad is straight by the book. I usually get between $12-1500 .. the old **** got me $900 and charged me $325 :stoneface: so I was gonna end up with less than $600 .. told them I couldn’t afford it and got my stuff back and my dad did it on the computer and got me back close to $1500

got my state pretty fast, just a couple days after we filed. Waiting on federal now.. wonder how long it’ll be

The major conflict is always not just one job assuming that that's your only source of income, but multiple streams of income.

Your first job doesn't care what you make at your other job(s). So they will try to appropriately tax you based on one job. The new w4 forms tried to make that a standard point But it looks overly complicated with multiple calculations and such.
I have a family member who I recommended to simply leave their status as is, but do additional withholdings per pay period. These are a set # and not a %, so it's easier to calculate it out for for a year's time.

Say you have two $40,000 jobs. Both will try to withhold and recommend a withholding closest to the $40,000 figure. Yet a $80k job is taxed at a higher marginal tax rate.

So many try to play it safe and just let them withhold thousands. A select few may owe if they change nothing. Very few try to calculate it right

There is no bonus or prize to withholding too much. There is however, penalties for under payment. So most will get a refund. It's not a terrible thing to be getting a refund. But ideally, aim for the smallest return always. It's your money. It's not free money. Most withhold $30 too much each pay period and are happy when they get back $1500

Man. Looks like I have to about 3k combined :frown:
Isn’t there some loophole that we can put money ina a IRA or something like that?

Man. Looks like I have to about 3k combined :frown:
Isn’t there some loophole that we can put money ina a IRA or something like that?

Yes, you can put up to 6K into a traditional IRA per individual but if you already contribute to an employer's 401K it may limit the benefit.

Man I didn’t know they did away with allowances. I’m in a weird situation bc I file head of household but my withholding is single. I feel like I’m being taxed way too much.

IRS is going to start accepting returns this coming monday 1/24. My W2 was made available to print at work yesterday and about to file today when I get off work :pimp:

i usually wile out and buy jewelry but not this time this year...if i get money back which i doubt i just want to pay off my CC...i want to file my taxes badly and asap just to have closure... i really dont want to owe... lets see if my accountant can work his magic like he usually does... it will be tough cuz i made a ton of money off capital gains when i sold my stocks...

Time to hit up H and R block. :smh:

Bought a house, entered a new tax bracket, too many W2s and tax forms. I need help a lot of help this year.

Whats the most yall ever got back from a tax return?
Last year we got $10k back but it’s cause we got a massive solar tax credit and my wife had student loans that gave us a break too.

This will be the first year we don’t have any large tax break so I’m interested to see what happens.

Last year we got $10k back but it’s cause we got a massive solar tax credit and my wife had student loans that gave us a break too.

This will be the first year we don’t have any large tax break so I’m interested to see what happens.
you use Turbo Tax?

I need a CPA.
I made too much and when I was messing with Turbo that ish said I have to pay 7k and 3k for state.
I’m in Cali.
I bought a house too so I hope I can deduct some stuff.

IRS is going to start accepting returns this coming monday 1/24. My W2 was made available to print at work yesterday and about to file today when I get off work :pimp:
Same. Just got my w2 today and started entering some info.

Looks promising at the moment lol. Hopefully it still looks good when I enter my child credit info.
will-ferrell.gif

I Was On My Way To Aspen And Forgot To Do My Taxes

Who Know The Accountant Who Can Make It Do Magic? :emoji_eyes:

Royally messed up on my W4 when i started my job in April 2021, didn’t catch the mistake until now … luckily i can cover the difference but ouch

Back
Top Bottom