OFFICIAL THE WIRE THREAD.. ''The game is the game"

i literally just rewatched this episode.. and it wasnt until listening to jamele's and van lathan's podcast on the episode that i realized it was f'n dante who shot tasha

literally had to go look up the clip on youtube:

legit had me like

AnyQueasyFairyfly-max-1mb.gif

i literally just rewatched this episode.. and it wasnt until listening to jamele's and van lathan's podcast on the episode that i realized it was f'n dante who shot tasha

literally had to go look up the clip on youtube:

legit had me like

AnyQueasyFairyfly-max-1mb.gif

Yea just realized last week myself

Yeah Kimmy mentions it in a subsequent scene. Something along the lines of "That's where you belong. That way I don't have to worry about getting my head blown off."

Finished S3 on my rewatch....

I feel like S2 is better tbh. The Avon/Stringer stuff in S3 is absolutely elite, but the first half or so of the season is kinda boring. Hamsterdam is meh, and the government stuff starts off pretty slow (gets much better in S4).

This is random but did y’all know there’s actually an actor named Jay Landsman on the show who doesn’t actually play his namesake? Also, the character Jay Landsman gotta be the most worthless dude on the whole damn show.

This is random but did y’all know there’s actually an actor named Jay Landsman on the show who doesn’t actually play his namesake? Also, the character Jay Landsman gotta be the most worthless dude on the whole damn show.

Yeah, he played Dennis Mello.

The real Jay Landsman was also the inspiration for John Munch, Richard Belzer's character on Homicide and Law & Order: SVU.

Finished S3 on my rewatch....

I feel like S2 is better tbh. The Avon/Stringer stuff in S3 is absolutely elite, but the first half or so of the season is kinda boring. Hamsterdam is meh, and the government stuff starts off pretty slow (gets much better in S4).

There's a scene i forgot what season that shows that he's actually a good detective. He's the type that likes the position he's in and doesnt look to advance his career. He had to have done something to make it to sergeant

Also i finished my rewatch a couple weeks ago. Some notes

The actress who played the woman that had to call mcnulty to pick up the drunk Bunk from her house is the same actress that plays Miss Anna (Randy's foster mom) in season 4

The actress that plays the black schoolteacher that Cutty was looking for also plays her crackhead sister that Cutty was talking to to find her

Namond says to Snoop that her sister is in his class before she curses him out. There's a young girl in the class with braids that looks exactly like a younger version of Snoop

Rapper Jim Jones had a cameo in Season 5 episode 8 standing outside the store when Snoop comes out

Cheese (Method Man) is Randy's dad (I think most people know this already) It was never confirmed in the show but confirmed outside the show

Nick Sobotka from season 2 had a cameo in season 5 where he heckles Carcetti at a rally

O Dog (the one who killed Bodie) is Rolla from Power

I'd say S2 is pretty split on NT nowadays. A lot of people on here really like it, after hating it the first time around. Gotta find time to do the full series rewatch.

S4 might be the best season of any show ever tho.

I'd say S2 is pretty split on NT nowadays. A lot of people on here really like it, after hating it the first time around. Gotta find time to do the full series rewatch.

S4 might be the best season of any show ever tho.
Jemele & Van Lathan actually described it pretty well on their pod. Season 1 should almost be looked at as a prequel. It’s just one dimensional with cops vs corner. S2 introduces multiple layers to the game, which we end up seeing in each subsequent season. And they execute it pretty much as well as it could be done.

I didnt enjoy season 2 at all when I watched it. I remember it being a bore and hard to get through. Even the hobo killer or whatever held my attention more.

I finally finished the whole season 2 in the spring n it was solid...There really wasn’t any set up or transition from season 1 to 2 so I can see how ppl could be caught off guard n not rockin with that season tho

Come in expecting corner boys n cops but get alotta shipping containers and unions :lol:

I completed my third rewatch of the full series during the covid shut down and Season 2 doesn't age well imo.

I used to be one of the people saying it was underrated, I always thought the politics and criminal underpinnings of the docks and longshoremen's union fascinating, but after multiple rewatches, it's a class below the rest of the series, better but adjacent to season 5.

The season's climax and the latter half of the tangential investigation that grows from the bodies discovered in the shipping container feels rushed.

I think the season's story arch and context would have been better served as a spin-off. It would have been really dope to see a deep dive into the world of illicit imports carried out over multiple seasons.

That's asking for a lot, and it's hard to criticize most of the series at all without it feeling like nitpicking, but I also don't feel the characters or their performances are as strong as other seasons, the exception of course being Frank Sobotka.

Obviously season 2 is still great television, but for me it's closer in alignment to season 5 than any of the others.

I agree with the poster who said season 3 is carried by several series defining episodes, but I don't have a problem with that at all.

Each season is so different, with 1 and 4 being the best overall. For me it's impossible to match the rawness of season 1. Season 4 is incredibly polished, but retains a lot of that rawness while also tapping into a different kind of human experience that's as hopeless as it is hopeful.

Season 5 seriously has its moments despite veering into the ridiculous. I'll always watch it again.

Last edited:
2 might be my 2nd favorite after this rewatch. 3 really survives off an elite few episodes. Think the entirety of 2 is actually better.

Yeah I'd go 4>2>1=3>5

Like you said 4 is perfect.

Two always get a bad rap for whatever reason. The writing, story, character arcs, Frank Sobotka the character, the tone. Top notch. The entire theme as it pertains to the death of the working class is about as relevant as ever too. Wire was way ahead of its time.

Back
Top Bottom