Official Toronto - Outlet and Store report

The current state of the sneaker game (Jordans sitting, Boosts starting to sit, Yeezys resell prices dropping, etc) just goes to show you one thing, which completely annoys me - it's not about the shoes anymore. It's about owning something limited. All the youngbloods out there don't like sneakers. They like feeling exclusive, and they do it through buying rare sneakers. The internet helped grow the game, but social media completely destroyed it through FOMO. Nothing worse than seeing an obese 16 year old kid spending his parents' hard earned money on Yeezys so he can feel important.

To add to your point, there's also a large shift in culture too due to social media influence and how easily accessible things are now. Back in the day, there weren't a lot of people into the shoe game primarily because they couldn't afford kicks or because they could care less. Now with the way social media is and how pop culture has influenced the way people dress, a lot more people try to dress like their favourite influencers or celebrities (clothing, shoes, accessories, gadgets, etc.). Also with the recent mass production of shoes such as Jordans, Boosts, and now Yeezys, it's no longer hard for people to purchase that outfit or lookbook to match the style they idolize. With more commonfolk being able to cop practically any shoe they want, the wow-factor for a lot of these products are gone, hence why OG colourways of Jordans are sitting or why Yeezys no longer have that ridiculously high resell value.

It's also worth mentioning that the resell game partially messed up this whole ecosystem too. A lot of people started getting into exclusive shoes solely because of the potential profit margin associated with them. Most people wouldn't be able to catch up with all the Jordans and Nikes, but Yeezys are probably the most well known hyped shoe there is to the market. As more people are able to acquire this "coveted" shoe, the demand on the aftermarket will reduce and the number of pairs that flood the market will only increase.

At the end of the day, I'm glad hype is dying down. I can't be affording to pay retail for every single thing that drops these days. Legit gonna go broke unless I can get me some discounts loool

I even feel bad calling BC3s my grails but... they always have been and even now that it's been released in 2011 and again in 2 months... still feel like grails to me. remember seeing people rocking it way back then and my mouth just frothing. so sexy
WC4s, Laney 5s and Space Jam 11s are my grails. I could care less whether they are GR's or not because nothing beats getting that shoe you've been desiring since your childhood.

Agreed 100%

The worst part is when they say they do it for the culture, that word gets thrown around waaaaay to easily these days, another is grails, grails to me have always been that pair that you could retire from the game right then and there, kids say they got their grails then a month later sell their grails for the next hot thing.

Yeah. Not a culture at all. We're all just shopping for shoes. Lol. It's such a joke. Culture, grails, influencers, essentials - all words I despise.

YouTubers doing reviews on shoes when it looks like they don't even play sports, photos of dudes doing the tiptoe pose, dudes getting together to do photoshoots of kicks - that's all trash I don't want to see in 2018. Bring me back to the old days, where I would be squinting at my 20 inch TV to see what shoes Michael Jordan was rocking for the playoffs.

/OG rant over

I just need JB to release the Bred 4s soon and the Black Infrared 6s with the right shade of infrared.

Those are the only Js I really need, along with my Chicago 1s and the upcoming Bc3s.

I even feel bad calling BC3s my grails but... they always have been and even now that it's been released in 2011 and again in 2 months... still feel like grails to me. remember seeing people rocking it way back then and my mouth just frothing. so sexy

At least these carry a sense of history. I mean, that shoe is going to be 30 years old. Meanwhile, you got clowns on Reddit calling the recently released lux model of Ultraboosts as "grails". Lol

Switched from Roshes to Vapormaxes just recently.
I remember "camping out" early for Roshes on the drop that NO ONE KNEW ABOUT.
employees on open were like, "what shoe?" I said Roshe Runs. They said they don't have it.
then a guy from the back comes with my size in the red/sail joints and i was laughing.

Remember wearing em and people would stare and say "those are too high in the back"
Yes, I pride myself in being ahead of the curve LMAO

At least these carry a sense of history. I mean, that shoe is going to be 30 years old. Meanwhile, you got clowns on Reddit calling the recently released lux model of Ultraboosts as "grails". Lol
in all honesty, only certain Jordans and Nikes are actual grails for me growing up. They hold so much emotional weight.
If you're telling me the Frozen Yellows are grails, boy you clearly don't like sneakers.
If it's a #flexgrail and not an actual GRAIL stemming from love, get outta here fam LMAO

in all honesty, only certain Jordans and Nikes are actual grails for me growing up. They hold so much emotional weight.
If you're telling me the Frozen Yellows are grails, boy you clearly don't like sneakers.
If it's a #flexgrail and not an actual GRAIL stemming from love, get outta here fam LMAO

speaking on behalf of the kids out there...
they won't have any emotional or any attachment to any Jordans tho, Jordan is not even relevant to them.
What should the "grails" be for the kids then? At least Kanye is relevant to them now.
IMO we are just a bunch of old farts who's not letting go of the past and unwilling to change.

how can it be a grail if it came out last week.
bruh. granted the term's definition is fluid but
that's just not the definition of a grail.

If you're 15 and your grail is the kobe 11 last games, sure. If you're 15 and your grail is the Yeezy 2, sure. If you're 15 and your grail
is the Off White Js... what are you doing fam?

I could be wrong but that's from my pov

speaking on behalf of the kids out there...
they won't have any emotional or any attachment to any Jordans tho, Jordan is not even relevant to them.
What should the "grails" be for the kids then? At least Kanye is relevant to them now.
IMO we are just a bunch of old farts who's not letting go of the past and unwilling to change.
Lol I'm not an old fart. I'm still in my early 20s :lol:

But to be honest, I watched a lot of MJ tapes and still watch a ton of basketball to this day. Let's be real, we all wore certain shoes because we wanted to be like that person. I wore Kobes and Lebrons because I thought I could play like them. At the same time, I wear Jordans, Pennys, Pippens, etc because I admired the way those players played. The main difference with today's shoe game is that people are just buying shoes because other people say they're cool, not because of the genuine love for the shoe or person. It's not like I don't have any of the newer stuff that's come out in the past years (Yeezys, NMDs, UBs, Vapormaxes, etc.), but if I was forced to sell off a part of my collection, those new shoes would go asap because they aren't grails or have any meaning to me.

Also as mentioned earlier, people are calling things grails one day, then flipping them the next day. That's not a true grail lol, that's just the hypebeast and impatience coming out of people.

how can it be a grail if it came out last week.
bruh. granted the term's definition is fluid but
that's just not the definition of a grail.

If you're 15 and your grail is the kobe 11 last games, sure. If you're 15 and your grail is the Yeezy 2, sure. If you're 15 and your grail
is the Off White Js... what are you doing fam?

I could be wrong but that's from my pov
The way I see it is that grails are things that have a significant meaning to your life; it's something that you would buy, keep and never sell due to a sentimental value. Heck, Orion 7s, as trash as they are, are a grail to me because that was the first retro I ever saved my money for and was able to afford. I've been into shoes since like 2007 or 2008, but couldn't afford anything till 2011.

For what it's worth, there are still women's VaporMaxs at VMills for $199.99-30% off, mens are gone.

I have a pair of platinum grey that I took off of the mannequin in size 8.5 womens that I'm returning, ended up being $202 tax in.

For what it's worth, there are still women's VaporMaxs at VMills for $199.99-30% off, mens are gone.

I have a pair of platinum grey that I took off of the mannequin in size 8.5 womens that I'm returning, ended up being $202 tax in.
oooooh need a 7.5wmns!!

The way I see it is that grails are things that have a significant meaning to your life; it's something that you would buy, keep and never sell due to a sentimental value. Heck, Orion 7s, as trash as they are, are a grail to me because that was the first retro I ever saved my money for and was able to afford. I've been into shoes since like 2007 or 2008, but couldn't afford anything till 2011.

I agree.
1999 gold flightposite is my grail, first pair of basketball shoes my mom bought for me.
It was frigging expensive too i remember.
Still have them today, won't sell for anything.

Haha, y'all sound like old grumpy grandpa's sitting on a porch supervising their grand kids playing on the street (this doesn't exist anymore sadly...)

I'm 32, so I dip into both buckets. I'm an old school fella but I don't mind the new hype as well because it makes things interesting.

At the end of the day, we're talking about shoes, but this applies to everything in life. Also, nobody really owns the "shoe game/community" so let people do what they want to do. Who are you to say they're right/wrong? You definitely can share your opinions which I respect :smile:

As a reseller, I hate the fact that hype is dying because it's driving down my profits. BUTTTT as a sneakerhead at heart, I love that fact that people who want a specific shoe can obtain it without having to spend an arm and leg (myself included).

Things that succeed, EVOLVE. Don't get stuck in the past. At the end of the day, people are happy with that they obtain, just let them be happy :tongue: haha

It's not about not wanting to evolve. it's about PRETENDING to like something.
It's the Kardashian identity trending, people not being who they are because
being something else is popping.
I know everybody starts somewhere but all I hear in lineups these days are kids
asking how much resell gonna be for the thing we're lining up for and where can
they sell the easiest. You even have the resellers that hire kids to line up for $50
overnight in the cold. Like, what? This is just a business to some people now but
their IG makes it look like they're into it. Everyone on the #flexgrail these days.

Anyone can be a sneakerhead, but BE into sneakers bro.

Haha, y'all sound like old grumpy grandpa's sitting on a porch supervising their grand kids playing on the street (this doesn't exist anymore sadly...)

I'm 32, so I dip into both buckets. I'm an old school fella but I don't mind the new hype as well because it makes things interesting.

At the end of the day, we're talking about shoes, but this applies to everything in life. Also, nobody really owns the "shoe game/community" so let people do what they want to do. Who are you to say they're right/wrong? You definitely can share your opinions which I respect :smile:

As a reseller, I hate the fact that hype is dying because it's driving down my profits. BUTTTT as a sneakerhead at heart, I love that fact that people who want a specific shoe can obtain it without having to spend an arm and leg (myself included).

Things that succeed, EVOLVE. Don't get stuck in the past. At the end of the day, people are happy with that they obtain, just let them be happy :tongue: haha

Hype isn't dying. It's about to start up again. Jordan Brand is going to limit releases because that's what kids want. Again, it's not about the shoes anymore- it's about the feeling of being "elite".

For example - the black Motorsport 4s were one of the best releases by Jordan Brand in years. Beautiful leather, excellent quality, but yet they sat on shelves. I got my pair from FL for $150. Insane!!!

Meanwhile, you've got a bunch of kids chasing a pair of Yeezys in the McChicken colorway and paying a ton of money for them.

So what does this mean? JB cuts production, and eventually Adidas will follow suit. So it's going to be great for resellers like you, and terrible for real sneakerheads.

It's not about the shoes anymore. It's all about the hype.

Back
Top Bottom