Official Travis Scott x Jordan Thread ...

(not) trippin is right. This sneaker collecting "hobby" is a serious sickness. We hunt and chase a pair with a passion, subconsciously tryna fill some sort of internal void. As soon as we finally get that pair we get a small hit of dopamine, essentially chasing a super temporary, fleeting high. And then said shoe gets tossed into the box and thrown in a room or closet with a stack of other boxes and then the cycle starts all over again. When does it end? That's the thing, there's a never ending supply of releases, retros, re- releases and re-re-releases. A never ending cycle. A continuous merry-go-round. A perpetual hamster wheel. And nike knows this. They have us trained.

I've been watching trippin's latest vids, he is in full on attack mode against resellers, hypebeasts and the whole concept of sneaker collecting and he's absolutely right. As I'm watching, I'm evaluating myself and this really has to stop somewhere. What we're doing really is sick. No matter how many sneakers we get, it's NEVER going to make us happy. It's never going to be enough. That void will never be filled. We are literally dope fiends, but our drug of choice is shoes and nike is the dealer, giving us stepped on, diluted product and the high will never be as good as the 1st time. I gotta kick this habit, man. This is way beyond ridiculous!

How are those Mystic Navy 1s lookin’? :lol:

charmcitykid charmcitykid i agree on some points … I think a balance can be found…. The hobby can be enjoyable, just be in control and not let it get outta hand. I think when cats got the “gotta catch em all” mentality, and/or have collections full of DS /vnds shoes, that is overwhelming. Trim the fat, pass on the unnecessary **** and it’s so much more enjoyable

charmcitykid charmcitykid i agree on some points … I think a balance can be found…. The hobby can be enjoyable, just be in control and not let it get outta hand. I think when cats got the “gotta catch em all” mentality, and/or have collections full of DS /vnds shoes, that is overwhelming. Trim the fat, pass on the unnecessary **** and it’s so much more enjoyable
I mean, we aren’t hurting anyone. We aren’t stealing from the poor and building an arena for our own kid.

Agreed and agreed. There are stages for sure. I'm past that gotta catch'em all and trim the fat phase. It's still an addiction don't get me wrong, I'd say I'm in the " the last thing I need in my rotation is...." phase. Basically it all boils down to having the best (to me) for every occasion:
Designer sneakers : Balenciaga triple s (yes needs to be replaced), Gucci Rhyton
Hyped but comfortable daily : Cactus Jack 270s, Tom Sachs GPS
Daily beaters: NB 990v5, UB triple white, Vans Checkerboard, Birk Clogs
Clean whites : Supreme AF1, CP Achilles
Brown Lace ups : JJJJound Dm's
Dress Loafers: Allen Edmonds Randolph, Ferragamo David
Winter/Rain: Ugg Butte, LLBean Bean boots
I won't bore you with the rest but....relation to this thread ? I need the frags to fill that "grail, out to break necks void".

(not) trippin is right. This sneaker collecting "hobby" is a serious sickness. We hunt and chase a pair with a passion, subconsciously tryna fill some sort of internal void. As soon as we finally get that pair we get a small hit of dopamine, essentially chasing a super temporary, fleeting high. And then said shoe gets tossed into the box and thrown in a room or closet with a stack of other boxes and then the cycle starts all over again. When does it end? That's the thing, there's a never ending supply of releases, retros, re- releases and re-re-releases. A never ending cycle. A continuous merry-go-round. A perpetual hamster wheel. And nike knows this. They have us trained.

I've been watching trippin's latest vids, he is in full on attack mode against resellers, hypebeasts and the whole concept of sneaker collecting and he's absolutely right. As I'm watching, I'm evaluating myself and this really has to stop somewhere. What we're doing really is sick. No matter how many sneakers we get, it's NEVER going to make us happy. It's never going to be enough. That void will never be filled. We are literally dope fiends, but our drug of choice is shoes and nike is the dealer, giving us stepped on, diluted product and the high will never be as good as the 1st time. I gotta kick this habit, man. This is way beyond ridiculous!

You're absolutely right. I've been selling off a good amount of shoes lately, many that I havent worn but once. There's a fine line behind collecting and hoarding. I sold a lot of my newer Dunks and Jordan 1s because the market is flooded right now. It wasnt long ago that you couldnt give a Dunk away, and Nike releases several colorways of them a week now so the market is oversatuarted. Truth be told, the shoes at the bottom of the stacks rarely get worn and are just taking up space. Also Nike is whoring out these Travis Scott collabs because its bringing them a lot of hype and interest in their brand. Sooner or later the interest will bottom out and people will get tired of them

I put more effort into obtaining RMs than probably any other shoe ever (aside from the good ol' camping outside days 🤦🏾‍♂️) and now that I finally have them I don't really care anymore. They just in the box with the rest. But before I "got em" I just had to have them. This confirmed everything trippin said was spot on. No sneaker (or any material item, for that matter) will ever make me happy. No amount of shoes will ever be enough. There's always something else to consume. The "void" will never be filled. I have to break the cycle now. I don't want my children to adopt/inherit this illness and think it's ok or normal. These RMs just made me realize how sick I am. Now I want phantoms and olives, but this has to stop!

Last edited:
I put more effort into obtaining RMs than probably any other shoe ever (aside from the good ol' camping outside days 🤦🏾‍♂️) and now that I finally have them I don't really care anymore. They just in the box with the rest. But deforestation I "got em" I just had to have them. This confirmed everything trippin said was spot on. No sneaker (or any material item, for that matter) will ever make me happy. No amount of shoes will ever be enough. There's always something else to consume. The "void" will never be filled. I have to break the cycle now. I don't want my children to adopt/inherit this illness and think it's ok or normal. These RMs just made me realize how sick I am. Now I want phantoms and olives, but this has to stop!
I do agree people take it to the extreme and have so many shoes they can’t wear them all. I never want to get to that stage. Some people have 20-50 boxes of shoes DS that they’ve never even tried on, I don’t get that mentality. I buy shoes to wear, not to display. I only have around 8 pairs of kicks right now (mostly cause I’m broke asf but that’s not the point 🥲) but all of them go into my rotation. I still wear all of them, some more than others.

I’ve heard of ppl having like 300 pairs of shoes. Why though? They can’t possibly wear all of them. The ones they don’t wear are just rotting away not getting worn and will eventually just get forgotten about.

I do agree people take it to the extreme and have so many shoes they can’t wear them all. I never want to get to that stage. Some people have 20-50 boxes of shoes DS that they’ve never even tried on, I don’t get that mentality. I buy shoes to wear, not to display. I only have around 8 pairs of kicks right now (mostly cause I’m broke asf but that’s not the point 🥲) but all of them go into my rotation. I still wear all of them, some more than others.

I’ve heard of ppl having like 300 pairs of shoes. Why though? They can’t possibly wear all of them. The ones they don’t wear are just rotting away not getting worn and will eventually just get forgotten about.
A wake up call for me is when I started running out of room in the closet to put them and started storing them in my storage lockers I use for my business. And even in there, they were taking up space and not serving me any real purpose. Having even 100+ pairs of shoes is OD, on average most of time youre just wearing most of those shoes 1-2 times a year. I just realized that most of those shoes were just money laying stagnant that I could be putting into other avenues that could get me even futher in life. And often the excitement of acquiring a shoe goes away after the first day when the chase is gone.

that’s why I don’t consider myself to be a shoe collector anymore. im still an enthusiast. but im not a collector anymore and i dont do it for collection purposes.

im a sneaker person at heart but im a square 90% of my week and work in an office job at a pretty high level with a lot of visibility internally and externally. the closest to a sneaker i can get away with is cole haans monday through friday so the demand for them in my own life as an adult has gone down too. the week to week release schedule used to be fun when i was younger but i could spend 30 seconds on 23isback.com back then and know whats coming out for the year. you got the same out of releases in jordan 1s alone in a month that we used to get for all jordan releases in a year. its gotten overwhelming and my interest just isnt what it used to be.

i still like dope shoes, and i still follow releases i care about and ill go after releases that i like at retail or resale but for me, anything over 20-25 pairs is a waste of space for my current lifestyle.
I will say though I can now justify some of the higher resell prices now that Im not buying 15 pairs of shoes a month lol

all the love in the world for the people who can keep at it this long at a high level but that just isnt me any more.

Ftr, I only buy kicks to actually wear, but at 40+ years old I can't wear them all. I'm at around 120 pairs and this is after I've significantly downsized. Over the past year or so I sold over 100 pairs. But now here I am accumulating again. 🤦🏾‍♂️ I turn up with the homies on the weekends and/or take the wife out and things, but the weekends ain't enough to wear everything.

Ftr, I only buy kicks to actually wear, but at 40+ years old I can't wear them all. I'm at around 120 pairs and this is after I've significantly downsized. Over the past year or so I sold over 100 pairs. But now here I am accumulating again. 🤦🏾‍♂️ I turn up with the homies on the weekends and/or take the wife out and things, but the weekends ain't enough to wear everything.

my wife doesnt even care about kicks lmao so i dont even have that as an excuse to keep it up

A wake up call for me is when I started running out of room in the closet to put them and started storing them in my storage lockers I use for my business. And even in there, they were taking up space and not serving me any real purpose. Having even 100+ pairs of shoes is OD, on average most of time youre just wearing most of those shoes 1-2 times a year. I just realized that most of those shoes were just money laying stagnant that I could be putting into other avenues that could get me even futher in life. And often the excitement of acquiring a shoe goes away after the first day when the chase is gone.
Exactly what I'm sayin'

i've been trying to downsize for 3 years...and failing. i think this next time it will stick. shoes get brought back so often nowadays that theres less need to collect.

20-30 pairs is really the sweet spot imo. Plus or minus a few.

Now that my oldest daughter is 12 she’s starting to get into shoes and my wife who’s 40 is kind of getting into it with her. It sucks 😂😂😂 they used to pay NO attention to my shoes. Now it’s “are they new, I haven’t seen those yet” :smh: :smh: :smh:

And my daughter thinks Jordan 1 mids are the holy grail

And my daughter thinks Jordan 1 mids are the holy grail
1663962751580.gif

You so right fam.

Let me know when you ready to liquidate the collection; I’ll be there to lend a helping hand.

I put more effort into obtaining RMs than probably any other shoe ever (aside from the good ol' camping outside days 🤦🏾‍♂️) and now that I finally have them I don't really care anymore. They just in the box with the rest. But before I "got em" I just had to have them. This confirmed everything trippin said was spot on. No sneaker (or any material item, for that matter) will ever make me happy. No amount of shoes will ever be enough. There's always something else to consume. The "void" will never be filled. I have to break the cycle now. I don't want my children to adopt/inherit this illness and think it's ok or normal. These RMs just made me realize how sick I am. Now I want phantoms and olives, but this has to stop!

Keep that same mentality, but transition to acquiring Nike stock (NKE) or other stocks instead of shoes.

Back
Top Bottom