OFFICIAL - UEFA EURO 2008 TOURNAMENT

I said at the beginning of the tourney Portugal and France were over-rated. When you have Nuno Gomes and Helder Postiga as your only strikers then you have nochance at winning any tournament.

Schweinsteiger was a BEAST. Ballack also had a very good game. I expect Germany to handle Turkey/Croatia next week.

Nani was great, this guy could be a decent replacement for C. Ronaldo if he leaves for Real Madrid.

Originally Posted by Krisp Kicks

Now the dude who said Ballack is overrated really needs to explain himself (that push was subtle, I really saw it on the replay though)...

Schweinsteiger needs to play every minute the rest of this tournament.

Subtle? You reaching, it was a shove. The ball was Ferreira's. We both know Ballack did Portugal dirty, but I guess being severely overrated allows youget those calls (or lack of, in this case)

I'd put miguel over him. dont care if he started off playing forward in his bwin liga days to go to a right back. he has strength and skill. what did ferreria show u this cup?
Miguel is also a natural RB and hes had a crap season with Valencia.

By no means am I defending Ferreira, if you check my post before the game, I stated that he is the weak link. However, Portugal does not have a premier leftback. Thus why I asked who would you rather see.

Originally Posted by GORDON GARTRELLE

The referees for this tournament have been atrocious for the most part.

tired.gif
to put it lightly

How the hell can you call Scolari a moron? I can guarantee he takes Chelsea to at least one title next year.

because they way he tried to manage portugal they are not a team made for that. how can miguel sit on the bench? u use attacking back in the wc and then youuse one in the euro cup? make sense? no.

he likes to win games 1-zip not a good way with portugal esp when you pick that defense for the cup

shwein is a beast. no doubt about it

tevez surprised you didnt post earlier. usually see you around here. btw any idea why tevez didnt play vs usa? i was there wasnt happy

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

Now the dude who said Ballack is overrated really needs to explain himself (that push was subtle, I really saw it on the replay though)...

Subtle? You reaching, it was a shove. The ball was Ferreira's. We both know Ballack did Portugal dirty, but I guess being severely overrated allows you get those calls (or lack of, in this case)

You always seem upset about something...
ohwell.gif
. Ballack is not overrated,end of argument.

Anyway good game by the Germans. They were the better side today and deserved to win. Portugal's talent alone wasn't enough to see them thru to thenext round. Same story, it's why sides like Portugal, Spain, and Holland have a tough time winning the big tournaments. They have all the talent in theworld, but in the biggest games against the biggest teams, they just cannot get the job done.

Congratulations to Portugal, you played hard and well! I think in the future they are set to improve with all of their young talent.

As for the referee's , they missed the push off on Ballack, and I pointed it out when I first saw the goal. I missed it in live action, but on thereplay it was clear he created space. Unfortunately for the ref's, and Portugal, their is no replay in the match. There were some missed calls going bothway's, so I don't think one side benefited significantly more than another. The best that can be said for the ref's is they have been consistentlyinconsistent
grin.gif
. It has been that way for all teams though, so what canyou say, you must play with it the way it is called.
Looking forward to the rest of the tournament for all the teams left!! LETS GO DEUTSCHLAND!

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

Subtle? You reaching, it was a shove. The ball was Ferreira's. We both know Ballack did Portugal dirty, but I guess being severely overrated allows you get those calls (or lack of, in this case)

You always seem upset about something...
ohwell.gif
. Ballack is not overrated, end of argument.

Use the "you mad?" arguement, that'll work. I'm not even up for arguing about Ballack, you have your opinion, I have mine. On anothernote, you honestly didn't think it was a foul? Like seriously?

Platinum: CAN YOU READ? I'M TYPING BIG SO YOU CAN SEE THIS. PLEASE READ EVERYTHING I WROTE IN MY LAST POST. SCROLL UP AND READ IT. THANK YOU.
smile.gif

Ballack is not over-rated, I think PlatinumFunk is trying to say that he isn't as good as he once was but still gets too much credit.

I think Ballack was the best player in the world in 2002 and should've won Footballer of the Year instead of Ronaldo. He carried Bayer Leverkusen to theUCL finals and carried Germany to the WC finals but was suspended for the finals. He was amazing to watch back then and one of the best two-way midfielders Ihave ever seen. He played with the same intensity in the 89th minute as he did in the 8th minute. I think injuries have slowed him down over the years andhe's not much of a two-way player anymore. He's more of an attacking midfielder now and has abandoned his defensive responsibilities to the holdingmidfielder of the team. He's still a great player though, I think he's still a top-10 midfielder in the world.

As for his push on Ferreira, it didn't really bother me. It was obviously a foul but 99% of the time when a defender pushes an attacker out of the way theref doesn't call it.

"Miguel is also a natural RB and hes had a crap season with Valencia.

By no means am I defending Ferreira, if you check my post before the game, I stated that he is the weak link. However, Portugal does not have a premier leftback. Thus why I asked who would you rather see."

i know he is a natural right back but id rather see him than ferreira flying up the wing trying to make crosses. that was the only reason imo

i mean before that we had nuno valente lol...

Ballack is no way in hell overrated. He maybe lost a step or too but back in the day jesus. I remember some of those champ league goals too. disgusting. Whathappens when you go to chelsea is you just dont shine anymore even though he had his moments

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Ballack is not over-rated, I think PlatinumFunk is trying to say that he isn't as good as he once was but still gets too much credit.

I think Ballack was the best player in the world in 2002 and should've won Footballer of the Year instead of Ronaldo. He carried Bayer Leverkusen to the UCL finals and carried Germany to the WC finals but was suspended for the finals. He was amazing to watch back then and one of the best two-way midfielders I have ever seen. He played with the same intensity in the 89th minute as he did in the 8th minute. I think injuries have slowed him down over the years and he's not much of a two-way player anymore. He's more of an attacking midfielder now and has abandoned his defensive responsibilities to the holding midfielder of the team. He's still a great player though, I think he's still a top-10 midfielder in the world.

As for his push on Ferreira, it didn't really bother me. It was obviously a foul but 99% of the time when a defender pushes an attacker out of the way the ref doesn't call it.

pimp.gif
. Someone got it.

In my opinion, Ricardo lost that game for Portugal. He made a bad read on Schweinsteiger's near post run, and on that 3rd goal he had no reason to go forthat ball. Just 2 bad reads. However, it happens to the best, word to Cech.

Portugals-goalkeeper-Ricardo-looks-on-0000008587.jpg

^ the coach is already resigned and said this was his last year.
we dont need nani for 90 min.

Ricardo makes those mistakes too much. Feel free to youtube 2004 final and see it again. the reason why he gets the start is because quim sucks and he can savepenalties

in my opinion Ballack is not overated but he is a complete punk #!* $+#%* for what he did to score that goal. He did Portugal grimy and the ref should havecalled that
smh.gif
. In any case, Germany will lose to Croatia in the next round which will leave Spain to win the championship. Torres and Villa FURIA ROJA *****!

While it should have been a foul, that stuff goes on for all teams in every single free kick or corner. He didn't do anyone 'grimy', he tried toscore and it wasn't called, end of story.

Spain winning the Championship?
roll.gif
As mentioned, they have all the talentin the world, but lack the testicular fortitude to progress... Oh well, I guess they'll have to break that 44 year streak sometime
laugh.gif

Spain =
choke-a-duck.jpg

I do agree that Spain has lacked cojones in the past but this is 2008 and they have the most offensive firepower in this tournamnet other than Netherlands andthey will be champs. If Greece can win a Euro in modern times I think Spain can definetly win it this year. None of the remaining teams can stop an attack ofVilla, Torres, and company. Spain is just too loaded this year to choke. Nearly all their starters and subs play in LA LIGA arguably the most competitivesoccer league in the world which is more than I can say for any of the German players except for Ballack, Klose, and Podolski.

It was a foul but those things happen all the time. what ferreria needed to do was wail his hands in the air and flop or push back. one of the other. when itsall said and done that wasnt the sole reason they lost. congrats to germany. I dont think spain is going to win sorry dude.

Originally Posted by carlosdapaperboy

I do agree that Spain has lacked cojones in the past but this is 2008 and they have the most offensive firepower in this tournamnet other than Netherlands and they will be champs. If Greece can win a Euro in modern times I think Spain can definetly win it this year. None of the remaining teams can stop an attack of Villa, Torres, and company. Spain is just too loaded this year to choke. Nearly all their starters and subs play in LA LIGA arguably the most competitive soccer league in the world which is more than I can say for any of the German players except for Ballack, Klose, and Podolski.

I'm not going to try to compare the Bundesliga with La Liga, but what are you excluding Klose and Podolski for? They play in the Bundesliga just like9O% of the rest of the German squad. I'm not really getting your point anyway, look at past results. The team who's players play in "the bestdomestic league" do not necessarily win. When is the last time Spain or England won a tournament?

Anyway, there is no way in hell La Liga is better top to bottom than the English Premier League. The last place teams in the Premiership would finishmiddle-upper half of the table in La Liga, and 3 of the top 4 teams in the Champions League are from the Premiership as well. Regardless though, this is sortof a silly point to discuss, because it has no bearing on the results for national teams in tournament football.

Glad you didn't respond to what I said Platinum, I guess you finally decided to read what I wrote.
happy.gif

Anybody here really feel Portugal deserved to advance today over the Germans? If not, then stop complaining about the push. Yes it was a foul (that happenson every free kick), yes it was a missed call, but it seems pretty obvious the better team went forward.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

I said at the beginning of the tourney Portugal and France were over-rated. When you have Nuno Gomes and Helder Postiga as your only strikers then you have no chance at winning any tournament.

Schweinsteiger was a BEAST. Ballack also had a very good game. I expect Germany to handle Turkey/Croatia next week.

Nani was great, this guy could be a decent replacement for C. Ronaldo if he leaves for Real Madrid.

I agree with everything you said, especially Schweinsteiger being a beast. His 2 free kicks set up 2 of Germanys 3 goals. He put them ON THE SPOTabsolutely perfectly. Not starting him in the first 2 games was so dumb, he ALWAYS needs to start, now the coaches know that.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom