Official USA Mens Basketball Thread *~ U.S. defeated Tuniasia 92-57 Thursday (Next up: Angola) ~*

Good point about Lopez. I think it was the fact that he couldnt catch tonight and looked like a 3rd string center. Bigtimejerky got a nice list. im not surr how they will use rudy. he can be that guy off the bench like wade was or start at the 3/4.

Good point about Lopez. I think it was the fact that he couldnt catch tonight and looked like a 3rd string center. Bigtimejerky got a nice list. im not surr how they will use rudy. he can be that guy off the bench like wade was or start at the 3/4.

I really hope Rondo and Westbrook both don't make it since they pretty much play in a similar way. I think it either comes down to Big Shot, Mayo, Curry or Gordon for the 2 spot and I really hope Mayo makes the team since it looks like he knows and accepts his role.

I really hope Rondo and Westbrook both don't make it since they pretty much play in a similar way. I think it either comes down to Big Shot, Mayo, Curry or Gordon for the 2 spot and I really hope Mayo makes the team since it looks like he knows and accepts his role.

I only saw bits and pieces of the whole game but the only guys who stuck out on the losing squad was Rondo and Westbrook.  I saw the stat sheet that Gay and Mayo had a good shooting night but they didn't stick out on tv to me for some reason. 

Players that have stuck out to me the most tonight was Rose, Durant, Westbrook, Rondo, Iggy, Chandler.  Those are the only players I'm remembering as I'm writing this. 

I def gotta watch this again.  I was hella distracted watching it. 

I only saw bits and pieces of the whole game but the only guys who stuck out on the losing squad was Rondo and Westbrook.  I saw the stat sheet that Gay and Mayo had a good shooting night but they didn't stick out on tv to me for some reason. 

Players that have stuck out to me the most tonight was Rose, Durant, Westbrook, Rondo, Iggy, Chandler.  Those are the only players I'm remembering as I'm writing this. 

I def gotta watch this again.  I was hella distracted watching it. 

Originally Posted by friscostylez

Na those two have to make it.  They would probably be team USA's best perimeter defenders.

Originally Posted by friscostylez

Na those two have to make it.  They would probably be team USA's best perimeter defenders.

For me personally It always seems like when the overall talent level is raised Granger always seems like he doesn't belong.
That being said here are my lineups

Rose Rondo Billups
Gordon Iggy Curry
Durant Rudy
Chandler Odom
Lopez Love

Mike you cannot tell me that Westbrook and Rondo aren't fighting for the same spot. And Rondo does everything better than Westbrook including run a team. I would be willing to bet Rondo could score better and more efficient than Westbrook too.
Curry is a virtual lock because he can play the point and move Rose off the ball at times
Gordon is as good if not a better shooter than Curry and he can slash too
Iggy is going to be the best defender on the team
Lamar is going to play his way into shape and probably be one of the guys they look to for boards in close games

Derrick was by far the best guard in the game and he will start with Billups
I could see Team USA starting Durant and a guy like Kevin Love at the Forward spots.
More than likely its going to be Durant and Rudy at the 3/4 with Chandler starting.
McGee will be with the team til the final cuts in case someone gets hurt
The Big's showcase will be in NY and if we see a cut it will be there.

Billups
Rose
Gay
Durant
Chandler
Although I want to see K love start and be on the team and he is the best fit play style wise at the 4 with this group I doubt we will see it
Curry
Iggy
Gay
Lamar
Lopez

Lamar is going to be back in shape come August 9th he can stretch the floor and can be at getting boards

Last 2 spots
Rondo and Gordon
You need a second dead eye shooter although I consider Durant one and Gay pretty close
and you need a guy who is going to give a guy like Barbosa, Rubio,Calderon  fits ( since Brazil is in the USA's group)

For me personally It always seems like when the overall talent level is raised Granger always seems like he doesn't belong.

Rose Rondo Billups
Gordon Iggy Curry
Durant Rudy
Chandler Odom
Lopez Love

Mike you cannot tell me that Westbrook and Rondo aren't fighting for the same spot. And Rondo does everything better than Westbrook including run a team. I would be willing to bet Rondo could score better and more efficient than Westbrook too.
Curry is a virtual lock because he can play the point and move Rose off the ball at times
Gordon is as good if not a better shooter than Curry and he can slash too
Iggy is going to be the best defender on the team
Lamar is going to play his way into shape and probably be one of the guys they look to for boards in close games

Derrick was by far the best guard in the game and he will start with Billups
I could see Team USA starting Durant and a guy like Kevin Love at the Forward spots.
More than likely its going to be Durant and Rudy at the 3/4 with Chandler starting.
McGee will be with the team til the final cuts in case someone gets hurt
The Big's showcase will be in NY and if we see a cut it will be there.

Billups
Rose
Gay
Durant
Chandler
Although I want to see K love start and be on the team and he is the best fit play style wise at the 4 with this group I doubt we will see it
Curry
Iggy
Gay
Lamar
Lopez

Lamar is going to be back in shape come August 9th he can stretch the floor and can be at getting boards

Last 2 spots
Rondo and Gordon
You need a second dead eye shooter although I consider Durant one and Gay pretty close
and you need a guy who is going to give a guy like Barbosa, Rubio,Calderon  fits ( since Brazil is in the USA's group)

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

Rose Rondo Billups
Gordon Iggy Curry
Durant Rudy
Chandler Odom
Lopez Love
It's either take out Rondo or Gordon for Westbrook.  Westbrook has to make the squad.  Everybody else that you have are good picks.  It's probably the 12 man roster that I would put up. 

I just love Westbrook's hustle and energy level.  And he looked like the only guy on the blue squad upset that the team was down.  I loved that. 

Rose Rondo Billups
Gordon Iggy Curry
Durant Rudy
Chandler Odom
Lopez Love
It's either take out Rondo or Gordon for Westbrook.  Westbrook has to make the squad.  Everybody else that you have are good picks.  It's probably the 12 man roster that I would put up. 

I just love Westbrook's hustle and energy level.  And he looked like the only guy on the blue squad upset that the team was down.  I loved that. 

Originally Posted by amel223

Rose Rondo Billups
Gordon Iggy Curry
Durant Rudy
Chandler Odom
Lopez Love

Yeah his hustle and energy level is great and all but he has no business playing the 2 in the international level. His horrible shot selection and decision making speaks for itself. Like I said there should be no way that both Rondo and Westbrook make the team. Also IMO Iggy > Granger in terms of the fit on the team.

Originally Posted by amel223

Rose Rondo Billups
Gordon Iggy Curry
Durant Rudy
Chandler Odom
Lopez Love

Yeah his hustle and energy level is great and all but he has no business playing the 2 in the international level. His horrible shot selection and decision making speaks for itself. Like I said there should be no way that both Rondo and Westbrook make the team. Also IMO Iggy > Granger in terms of the fit on the team.

Westbrook is going to look to score. that's what he does best. But you cant put him at SG.
Gordon is very a very efficient scorer and is strong enough to play the 2 on a consistent level.
Iggy is a guy who can do everything. Granger always looks lost in games where the physical talent is raised. His shooting isn't enough to say forget the fact that he played 20 minutes got 5 fouls and scored 6 points.

As a bonus I'm going to put up a zone buster lineup with the roster I set

Curry
Gordon
Durant
Love
Lopez or Chandler

That's a lineup that can play a good 5 solid minutes together and the opposition will switch back to man. Durant and Gordon can get baskets at the rim and you will always be able to sub any of those guys out and get more of a slasher type in the game too.

Westbrook is going to look to score. that's what he does best. But you cant put him at SG.
Gordon is very a very efficient scorer and is strong enough to play the 2 on a consistent level.
Iggy is a guy who can do everything. Granger always looks lost in games where the physical talent is raised. His shooting isn't enough to say forget the fact that he played 20 minutes got 5 fouls and scored 6 points.

As a bonus I'm going to put up a zone buster lineup with the roster I set

Curry
Gordon
Durant
Love
Lopez or Chandler

That's a lineup that can play a good 5 solid minutes together and the opposition will switch back to man. Durant and Gordon can get baskets at the rim and you will always be able to sub any of those guys out and get more of a slasher type in the game too.

All I have to say is that the USA is not going to win Worlds. And that's fine. The focus is winning the gold medal in London. This tourney is a barometer to find out who will make that team. They'll go out an make the FIBA Americas Finals and get in the Olympics.

All I have to say is that the USA is not going to win Worlds. And that's fine. The focus is winning the gold medal in London. This tourney is a barometer to find out who will make that team. They'll go out an make the FIBA Americas Finals and get in the Olympics.

If they are looking for outside scoring, they need to put Gordon on the team. He's got a really smooth jumper. Plus he's a physical guard who's not afraid of contact. I was just happy to see Iguodala play very well. He played well on both ends of the floor.

If they are looking for outside scoring, they need to put Gordon on the team. He's got a really smooth jumper. Plus he's a physical guard who's not afraid of contact. I was just happy to see Iguodala play very well. He played well on both ends of the floor.

Originally Posted by maddog345

yup.. and Rose can push the ball like crazy, he will be a great piece to add. Westbrook was doing way too much and Rondo is not physical enough. Durant was showing out last night. Mayo and Gordon played well so did Steph. Gay needs to stay aggressive like Durant, both can kill against teams. They still need a center that can really dominate. 

Originally Posted by maddog345

yup.. and Rose can push the ball like crazy, he will be a great piece to add. Westbrook was doing way too much and Rondo is not physical enough. Durant was showing out last night. Mayo and Gordon played well so did Steph. Gay needs to stay aggressive like Durant, both can kill against teams. They still need a center that can really dominate. 

You guys are looking at putting together the team too much from an offensive standpoint than a defensive standpoint.  Westbrook would be, with Rondo, the best player the USA has to put pressure on the ball. 

Maybe Westbrook did too much during the showcase but that's uncharacteristic of him.  He usually plays more under control.  I'm sure once he knows he's not auditioning and he's just playing he'll play more within himself in the offense.  Against the lakers in the playoffs I remember that he was the more efficient offensive player during the series, not Durant. 

Westbrook just has to make this team.  I believe that. 

Back
Top Bottom