**Official USMNT Soccer Thread**

are you guys completely done with MB4?
I was about to say, I'm not buying that Jozy doesn't perform in big games either.

He played great in the USA vs. Mexico playoff in October, basically missed '15 Gold Cup due to injury, missed Brazil '14 injury, has generally played well in friendlies against the stronger competition over the years (wins vs. Bosnia, Nigeria, Italy all come to mind), was integral in South Africa in '10, helped lead us to the Confederations Cup final in 09. 

Meanwhile Bradley hasn't showed up for a competitive game since South Africa. 

In the past two years Jozy gets an "Incomplete" while Bradley is hovering around the "C-/D+" range. 

Last edited:
Actually, I'd be okay with Jozy taking Chokolowski's spot in the team. But I'm even more okay with giving Morris time to acclimate to the team prior to WC2018. Kid's got promise, and if all goes well, he can ride a strong wave into the WC with the other new blood.

Does the US have the capabilities to play a diamond midfield? I'm not against it, in fact I'm all for trying something aggresive with the players we've got, but it does leave Jones with a BIG burden to shoulder in there.

Last edited:
Actually, I'd be okay with Jozy taking Chokolowski's spot in the team. But I'm even more okay with giving Morris time to acclimate to the team prior to WC2018. Kid's got promise, and if all goes well, he can ride a strong wave into the WC with the other new blood.
Agreed. Morris certainly has the tools. #2 CF shouldn't just be given to him though.  I also don't want Klinsmann playing it safe and giving the spot to Jozy because he has "experience"

Whether it's Morris or Altidore, the spot needs to be earned by success and production on the field. 

Last edited:

Agreed. Morris certainly has the tools. #2 CF shouldn't just be given to him though.

Whether it's him or Altidore the spot needs to be earned by success and production on the field. 
Agreed on the last point. Drop Wondo, add Jozy and Morris, see who earns it to play behind/alongside Wood.

Need a solid keeper as well before 2018 rolls around.

Last edited:
Cody Cropper isn't the guy imo. I'd be shocked if he ever develops into a #1 GK in a top 10 league. 

I really really like Steffen but I don't think he's anywhere close. He's a Qatar '22 and beyond guy. 

Last edited:
are you guys completely done with MB4?

I was about to say, I'm not buying that Jozy doesn't perform in big games either.

He played great in the USA vs. Mexico playoff in October, basically missed '15 Gold Cup due to injury, missed Brazil '14 injury, has generally played well in friendlies against the stronger competition over the years (wins vs. Bosnia, Nigeria, Italy all come to mind), was integral in South Africa in '10, helped lead us to the Confederations Cup final in 09. 

Meanwhile Bradley hasn't showed up for a competitive game since South Africa. 

In the past two years Jozy gets an "Incomplete" while Bradley is hovering around the "C-/D+" range. 

i think it's fair to give bradley the same criticism. no doubt.

in regards to jozy, i think being injured and missing those tourneys is part of it though. it's just been frustrating as a whole.

Last edited:
DSA I'm with you, Jozy can be a frustrating player on a team that's all too often frustrating to watch. Still just 26yo though with over 100 combined international and first division goals on his resume. If employed correctly I think he can still add value to the team going forward.

Last edited:
Sorry I am late to the combo, but work has been hectic.
IMHO
Jozy is not done yet, but he's close. My biggest beef with him is he's always injured. Any big tournament shows up and he's got a hamstring or this and that. He's got to stay healthy. Wood has taken his spot on the depth chart for now.

Howard needs to be the starting goalkeeper going forward. I don't dislike Guzan, but Howard has always been better and he's not done. I can see him starting in Russia. No joke.

MB4 needs to sit. I don't know if he lost his edge or got comfortable, but he's not the same these last couple of years. He's need to truly cherish being on the USMNT. Play with that heart and desire he did before.

You guys might not agree with this, but I see JJ in Russia. For all the crap this guys gets, yeah he plays dumb, he's always picking up cards. Dude gives you 110% every time he steps on the field. We don't have anyone else that can replace him. For that I think he's in Russia.

Wondo, Beckerman, Orozco, should never never sniff the national team. They are done or never were international talents.

DSA I'm with you, Jozy can be a frustrating player on a team that's all too often frustrating to watch. Still just 26yo though with over 100 combined international and first division goals on his resume. If employed correctly I think he can still add value to the team going forward.

that's fair. maybe if we can pair him like you guys mentioned up above, it'll help. hopefully he can stay fit and healthy going forward.

I would venture to say JJ is the only midfielder we have right now who has a unanimous backing to keep his position moving forward. Anyone and everyone else needs to prove they still deserve it.

JJ is a beast and deserves the captains armband in my mind.

Just read that Zelalem is beginning preseason training with the Arsenal first team as expected.

His experience with Rangers wasn't easy but it was great for his development. I watched a few of their games and I think Zelalem is ready to be introduced by camp cupcake in January.

A central midfield of him and Nagbe with JJ screening the back line behind them. :wow:

Last edited:
was just gonna ask who wears the captain band going forward if mb and demps are no longer starting. 

JJJ shows the most heart but thats also a negative.

i can see them giving it to Cameroon too. 

Imagine if Zalalem and Green can develop. Shawn Parker is doing good in Germany as well. The guy I am praying comes thru is Luca De la Torre. Been tracking him since his SD days. I thinks hes going to be World Class. Marlon Fussey whos at Fulham has a lot of potential. Time will tell.

^^ Dont think we had a golden generation yet. I couple of years back, we had a potential golden generation in Raken, Jerome and Gyau. All 3 dudes have been injury prone and nothing ever came about. I wonder what happen to Junior Flores also. He was at Borussia Dortmund last time I heard.

"Golden Generation" [emoji]129300[/emoji]

Baby steps. We're still transitioning out of the paelolithic period.

We need to establish ourselves as a developed footballing nation before there's any talk of golden eras.

Our pro league is twenty years olds. Our Academy system not even 10 years old. Any golden generation is a lifetime away.

Last edited:
i can see them giving it to Cameroon too. 

Baby steps. We're still transitioning out of the paelolithic period.

We need to establish ourselves as a developed footballing nation before there's any talk of golden eras.

Our pro league is twenty years olds. Our Academy system not even 10 years old. Any golden generation is a lifetime away.
Tryna be optimistic but you right. Smh US gon be a top flight team when we senile.

I think there's good reason for optimism.

Watch how the U20's move with the ball tomorrow night. Most of the Euro based players aren't even in camp, it's mostly guys developed here at home.

You'll see a lot more Pulisic than Zardes or Bradley.

Last edited:
if by some miracle England lures Jurgen away, which I don't think is likely, who should be on the US shortlist of managers?

Back
Top Bottom