**Official USMNT Soccer Thread**

A lot of people digging up Arena's quote on questioning the "Americaness" of current foreign-born USMNT players. Dude better change his mind real quick.

Thank you JK :pimp:

as for going forward, I want to see all the youngins getting pitch time. Bradley, LD, Duece, Jones, etc need to fall back.

Last edited:
Cx-ATb3UsAAtRP9.jpg

Bruce Arena clarifies past remarks on dual-nationals, eyes course correction in leading the #USMNT ​

tbh, I've read similar quotes from Jurgen and some of his staff.

Glad Bruce clarified 

Last edited:
Was eating breakfast at a cafe in Condesa, Mexico City when I saw the news on TV. Almost spit out my chilaquiles.

Really didn't think Gulati would have it in him to fire Klinsmann. Best of luck to the man, despite recent frustrations I think most of us have always recognized and appreciated that his passion and commitment to U.S. soccer was the real deal. He's made valuable contributions to the program over the last five years, it was time for a change but I really do wish him the best.

You already know I'm a huge Oscar Pareja fan but Bruce Arena was the pragmatic choice. Bruce was out of contract and available immediately. I wouldn't be at all surprised if contact was made with Pareja and the sides mutually agreed a post 2018 appointment would be more beneficial for both parties.

I can understand an initial knee jerk reaction of frustration at selecting Arena but I think it was the right choice. You have to take into account which coaches were available given their contractual obligations, ongoings in their personal life, as well as who is the right fit as-is, right now, in the short term. The list of coaches to choose from wasn't long.

Last edited:
i'm not fully sure that what's Bruce originally intended with his original comments, but am glad with the clarification

i'm not fully sure that what's Bruce originally intended with his original comments, but am glad with the clarification

We've seen the same sentiments expressed in this thread over the past few years.

Seemed Bruce said he doesn't even remember saying those things?

Wouldn't be surprised if those words were originally published with zero regard for context.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Huh, Etcheverry... He's considered the greatest Bolivian footballer. Playined for DC United (which I saw him play several times years ago).

I don't think he has any coaching experience that I'm aware of. How would he & Arena even have a connection where he would be consideration for his staff?

We're talking Marco Etcheverry right rck?

Last edited:
Etcheverry is an MLS legend and one of if not the greatest Bolivian player ever.

Arena connection probably goes back to when Arena was an assistant at DC United before his first stint with the USMNT.

Last I heard Etcheverry was coaching one of the Bolivian youth national teams then got bumped up and was an assistant with the senior team but that was a while ago.

Last edited:
@JREskilson Josh Perez, 18 years old, is on for Fiorentina. It's the debut for the U.S. teenager. Inter 3-2 Fiorentina 75'

WSJ got Arena to share some thoughts recently.

Bruce Arena Outlines His Plan for U.S. Soccer
The new coach is taking a radically different approach than the recently fired Jurgen Klinsmann; ‘we’re not going to look like Barcelona’

By MATTHEW FUTTERMAN
Nov. 29, 2016 7:05 p.m. ET

U.S. Soccer officially has made its 180-degree turn from the Jurgen Klinsmann approach to the international game.

Bruce Arena, who took over for Klinsmann last week after the U.S. dropped two important World Cup qualifying games, outlined a plan for the U.S. national team that has little resemblance to Klinsmann’s emphasis on style of play and players’ willingness to try positions and formations they have never tried before.

“We are fighting for our lives March 24,” Arena said of the next World Cup qualifying match during a meeting with reporters at a midtown Manhattan hotel. “We are behind the eight-ball. Coming out of the box with two losses there isn’t a lot you can do.”

And yet, there is plenty that Arena plans to do. Two hours after accepting the job last week, he appeared at a meeting with U.S. soccer executives with a depth chart, and plans for a January camp for domestic players. This week he heads to Germany to meet with U.S. team players who are based there, including 18-year-old Christian Pulisic.

“There’s no reason to believe he’s not going to be an outstanding player,” Arena said of Pulisic.

Edited excerpts of Arena’s other takes on the team and the sport follow below.

On using foreign-born players: “‘Foreign national’ is a terrible term, as is ‘dual citizens.’ They are national team players.”

On midfielder Jermaine Jones, who is 35-years-old and unemployed: “Hopefully he resolves his issues contractually and will be with a club next year…He certainly still has something to offer.”

On what statistics he looks at most: “I’m not a person who digs deep into analytics. I don’t think the sport of soccer is an analytical sport. Baseball is. Football can be. Maybe basketball...Our game is different.”

On having players play different positions than they are used to: “A large majority of time you want to play them where they are comfortable and where they play with their club team.”

On the U.S. starter in goal while Tim Howard is hurt: “Brad Guzan likely is it, but i think we need to look at other goalkeepers and strengthen that position.”

On the two recent losses: “The game with Mexico came down to control of the game early, which they had. I don’t think that should happen at home. The game with Costa Rica was not good from start to finish. The theme of both games is the back line played poorly.”

On being in last place in the final qualifying tournament: “We can close the gap real quick...If we get six points from the next two games, the gap is closed.”

On why he took on the challenge: “I find it challenging and critically important for the sport...I don’t consider this work.”

On how the game has changed since 2006: “The sport is faster. That has to do with the conditioning of the athletes, the conditions they play in, technology, the ball, the boots, the field. It doesn’t mean the players are better but it’s a faster game.”

On how managing players today compares with 20 years ago: “I think there is a little bit more baggage today.”

On the importance of youth to a national team: “National teams can get caught in an awkward cycle. France in 1984, they had a great team. They won the European Championship. They probably could have won a World Cup in 1985. By 1986, they were a year old.” (France lost in the semifinals to West Germany.)

On playing in MLS vs. Europe: “Wherever the players play is fine as long as they are playing, getting challenged and getting better.”

On Michael Bradley: “Michael is very important. He’s been the captain. At his best he’s been a key figure...I think he’d be viewed as a #6.” (In other words: playing in front of the defense with fewer attacking responsibilities that Klinsmann wanted him to take on).

On friendly matches: “Friendlies don’t mean a thing. Players don’t want to play, they don’t want to get hurt, and their club teams don’t want them to play.”

On what’s missing from the U.S. team: “We need a better passer in the midfield than we have. We need to have a player in attacking half of the field who can deliver the right ball at the right time. Who that is remains to be seen.”

On tactics and style: “It’s all about your players...We can all write a nice essay about how we want it to look but reality sets in at some point. Sometimes the job of the coach is to define reality.”

On how the U.S. will play: “We’re not going to look like Barcelona...There is nothing wrong with counter-attacking. Real Madrid does it pretty well if you watch them lately.”

On what he wants to see from his team: “I’d like to see players who are more consistent...There are too many peaks and valleys with our players. We’ve got to get them to level out.”

http://www.wsj.com/articles/bruce-arena-outlines-his-plan-for-u-s-soccer-1480464306?mod=e2tws

You guys think that Pulisic can pull the strings in the middle in front of Bradley?

there's no doubt in his ability but right now he's been honing his skill as a winger at both BVB and the international level, why mess with a good thing.

Maybe a little ways down the road 

^I suspect Benny Feilhaber will also get a look in camp at the upcoming January friendlies.

Pulisic can absolutely play the 10 though. I never saw him deployed on the wings until he got to BVB, he was a CAM his entire youth career.

I know the formation Klinsmann used was wack, but the way Pulisic was deployed for Mexico, it was centrally & he didn't look comfortable at all.

Once Jurgen switched back after the half, Pulisic was back on the wings where he looked much more comfortable.

Obviously it was one game (then there was the Los Ticos massacre).

I guess we'll see... He needs to play for the MNT regularly though.

It's good to see Bobby Wood do his thing.

Jozy seems to have hit his groove to. He's playing with so much fire lately (for TFC to).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom