Official Victor Ortiz vs Mayweather 9/17/11

Everyone trains differently and has different philosophies.  Taking a day off isn't too serious.  Plus he probably needed to rest physically and mentally.  His trainers and coaches probably thought he needed it.
I don't know much about boxing training, but do they also worry about peaking physically too far away from fight night?  Like they don't want to peak too early but maybe a few days before the fight.

Everyone trains differently and has different philosophies.  Taking a day off isn't too serious.  Plus he probably needed to rest physically and mentally.  His trainers and coaches probably thought he needed it.
I don't know much about boxing training, but do they also worry about peaking physically too far away from fight night?  Like they don't want to peak too early but maybe a few days before the fight.

At this point in training, boxers aren't doing too much sparring because they don't want to risk injury so it's kind of winding down & you want to make sure your conditioning is great. This is where young fighters typically derail, they don't prepare well (do you hear this Zab Judah?) then they get caught in the ring "unawares" & look lost. We'll see...

At this point in training, boxers aren't doing too much sparring because they don't want to risk injury so it's kind of winding down & you want to make sure your conditioning is great. This is where young fighters typically derail, they don't prepare well (do you hear this Zab Judah?) then they get caught in the ring "unawares" & look lost. We'll see...

first thing i thought of when ortiz said hes taking a day off no matter what his trainers say and that he needs a day to do nothing cuz hes human too is how he quit in that other fight and his excuse was he doesnt deserve to get beat up like that.

on the other hand you have an undefeated champion vet basically putting part of the blueprint for his proven success on tv for you to see which is to work, work, and keep working. ortiz sees mayweather on tv talking about how nobody works as hard as he does, so instead of trying to match or outdo mayweather ortiz takes a day off.

first thing i thought of when ortiz said hes taking a day off no matter what his trainers say and that he needs a day to do nothing cuz hes human too is how he quit in that other fight and his excuse was he doesnt deserve to get beat up like that.

on the other hand you have an undefeated champion vet basically putting part of the blueprint for his proven success on tv for you to see which is to work, work, and keep working. ortiz sees mayweather on tv talking about how nobody works as hard as he does, so instead of trying to match or outdo mayweather ortiz takes a day off.

Originally Posted by nYcHipHopHippo

i agree. if ortiz loses..i have a feeling he will be full of excuses. his workouts do look mad fun though...the beach, the tires, etc...

Originally Posted by nYcHipHopHippo

i agree. if ortiz loses..i have a feeling he will be full of excuses. his workouts do look mad fun though...the beach, the tires, etc...

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

i got floyd winning by tko in the 7th

Nice take.. I agree although idk if floyd will finish it that early as he's always been a runner and will have to do this moreso with this guy as he has the power factor, he will time it out a little more and I think TKO to just being mutilated in the 9th.

Nice take.. I agree although idk if floyd will finish it that early as he's always been a runner and will have to do this moreso with this guy as he has the power factor, he will time it out a little more and I think TKO to just being mutilated in the 9th.

You guys really think Floyd has the punching power to mutilate some one?

Floyd will win every round. I say it goes the distance.

We all know the only way Victor wins is a knockout. No chance he out-points Floyd in a 12 round fight.

We all know the only way Victor wins is a knockout. No chance he out-points Floyd in a 12 round fight.

The one thing Floyd doesn't have is knockout power. He'll tire out a dude & then knock him out but not the power to knock someone out by punching alone.

The one thing Floyd doesn't have is knockout power. He'll tire out a dude & then knock him out but not the power to knock someone out by punching alone.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Certainly not, I was referring to just the punishment the face can take over 10 rounds of quick jabs might be enough to open something up, just saying.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Certainly not, I was referring to just the punishment the face can take over 10 rounds of quick jabs might be enough to open something up, just saying.

Originally Posted by KickHead23

I swear this is the main misconception that get's into his opponents' heads and have them in trouble. The key is "hit and don't get hit" and Floyd is the master of that as his counterpunching is legendary. Take the time to look at his post-fight interviews. You know how his face looks? The same as it did at the weigh in. His opponents' faces, on the other hand... That's on top of the fact that his opponents always give him his due respect post-fight. And it's easy to see why: It would be hard to use the excuse "he was running all night" on camera with a swollen face.

He's one of the best defensive boxers ever (at least top 15) and he seems quite comfortable on the ropes until he finds the timing to get out of there. There's a little handy device that's designed to keep boxers together. It's called the "ring." Some boxers know how to use it, some don't.

Originally Posted by KickHead23

I swear this is the main misconception that get's into his opponents' heads and have them in trouble. The key is "hit and don't get hit" and Floyd is the master of that as his counterpunching is legendary. Take the time to look at his post-fight interviews. You know how his face looks? The same as it did at the weigh in. His opponents' faces, on the other hand... That's on top of the fact that his opponents always give him his due respect post-fight. And it's easy to see why: It would be hard to use the excuse "he was running all night" on camera with a swollen face.

He's one of the best defensive boxers ever (at least top 15) and he seems quite comfortable on the ropes until he finds the timing to get out of there. There's a little handy device that's designed to keep boxers together. It's called the "ring." Some boxers know how to use it, some don't.

Why does everyone always think May runs a lot? He stayed following oscar and hatton. Sometimes hes smart and uses his back up skills to catch a breather, or re-group, etc. Do yall expect this dude to steady be throwing and in the reaching range of his opponent? Come one guys, he is more defensive then offensive. He does hunt down his fighters like manny pac.

Another arguement that I remember talking about and reading is that he gets paid more for going the full rounds then a 2nd rd TKO. Hes Money Mayweather, do you think he wants to knock someone out, if he can i know, or go the full fight knowing hes winning every round and make that bread?

GotHoles - I think you might me right as I was thinking if anyone is gonna get knocked out its the 7th rd and on.

Back
Top Bottom