Official Warriors Off Season Thread

Baron pretty much burn the bridge with the Warriors. He ain't looking back now and we shouldn't either.

the new deal is Al+filler+Baron for _____
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

well i won't hate baron so much if he secretly has a deal with mullin for the tune of like 5yrs/at 13mil per

but Al + filler + Baron for LBJ??! it's like we're just GIVING away talent!

[h2]OK, let's say the Warriors renounce Baron Davis or he signs with another team outright…[/h2]
Posted by Tim Kawakami on June 30th, 2008 at 9:56 pm | Categorized as NBA, Warriors

* Final update of the night, at 10:25 p.m.: Just remembered-if I'm going to be wrong about something this public, it's good to be wrong right alongside Don Nelson, who also said that there was no chance Baron would opt-out. Don might be goofy, but he's usually dead-on about money. Big money, especially. Don and I: WRONG.

First off, this isn't about me, but as has been correctly pointed out by several commenters, I did dare Baron Davis to opt-out. I said he wouldn't. And dared him to do it.

He did it. The guy has guts (or a side deal or something) and that's sort of what makes Baron the player that he is, the interesting man he is and often the pain-in-the-butt that he is.

You can rip me all you want on this one. I'll take it. Have to take it. Hey, I always take the rippage. I'm sure it had less than 0% to do with Davis' decision-making, but I called him out and he answered. I acknowledge that.

Second off, here's a link to the column I filed not long ago for tomorrow's Mercury News. You may find it interesting that I'd already written a quickly-crashed column arguing that Davis should be traded and was in the process of filing it when the news hit around 6:50 that he was indeed opting out.

Shockingly, I still think he should be traded, post-opt-out. I really, really think that now.

It's no secret that Davis' agent Todd Ramasar had been measuring trade/signing interest for Davis around the league and it's no surprise that Chris Mullin knew about it and didn't mind it at all.

So let's say the Warriors play ultra-hard ball with Baron now. I think Mullin will want to keep talking, but hardball is still possible given the way the Warriors dealt with Matt Barnes and Mickael Pietrus last year and given that they may feel slightly hoodwinked by Davis' opt-out.

Let's say Mullin tells Davis and Ramasar:

* Either you find us a sign-and-trade deal with one of your other-team contacts that's good for the Warriors by Monday July 7 (deals can't be made official until July 9, but they're almost always agreed-upon before that);

* Or you agree to re-sign with the Warriors for two years and $28M (about what they offered Davis in the last extension talks) by July 7; maybe to spur negotiations, Mullin ups it to two years, $30M;

* Or the Warriors will renounce Baron's rights on July 7 at 8 a.m. and there goes any sign-and-trade opportunity, there goes the chance to make large money from any team except Memphis or possibly Philly (neither is likely).

Agreeable sign-and-trade, re-sign for the Warriors' price or get renounced by Monday, July 7. Period.

That would be a risky move by Mullin, Chris Cohan and Bobby Rowell. That would open them up to possible criticism that the franchise is being cheap, has been cheap and will never pay enough to get over the hump.

(I wouldn't agree on the Baron part. Would agree on the not-using-the-trade-exception part, presuming we don't get hit with another thunderbolt tomorrow morning.)

But let's say all that I've sketched out happens, and Davis calls the Warriors bluff and they either renounce him or he signs with somebody else, either for the mid-level exception or to an under-the-cap team, perhaps the Clippers if they find a way to manuever Baron's and Elton Brand's deals just right.

What would the Warriors' cap situation look like if Davis was removed entirely? And what if they also renounce Mickael Pietrus (tough one because I'm sure they want to retain his S/T rights), Patrick O'Bryant (not 100%, but probably) and Matt Barnes (yes)?

By my count, they'd have $39.1M on the books, committed to nine players (a 10th, Adonal Foyle, still counts for about $6.2M next season).

That includes No. 1 pick Anthony Randolph and a $7.8M cap hold for restricted free agent Andris Biedrins and $800k cap holds for both RFAs Monta Ellis and Kelenna Azubuike.

$39.1M is about $19M less than the expected 2008-2009 salary cap. That's $19M to spend for the Warriors, who have always spent at or over the cap number. That's a lot of money. That might be reduced if the Warriors hold off renouncing Pietrus ($7M cap hold) or POB ($2.4M), just to retain their rights for sign-and-trade possibilities.

But if Baron, Pietrus, Barnes and POB all get renounced, the players on the books would be:

-Al Harrington, $9.2M.

-Stephen Jackson, $7.1M.

-(Adonal Foyle, $6.2M).

-Andris Biedrins, $7.8M cap hold.

-Brandan Wright, $2.5M.

-Kosta Perovic, $1.7M.

-Marco Belinelli, $1.5M.

-Anthony Randolph, $1.5M.

-Monta Ellis, $800k cap hold.

-Kelenna Azubuike, $800k cap hold.

If Pietrus isn't renounced, the Warriors would be at $46.1M with 10 players on the roster. That'd be about $12M to spend under the cap.

All of this is presuming that the Warriors would hold off on re-signing Ellis before they go shopping for other free agents, because he'll almost certainly get a deal starting at $7M or $8M and that would eat up more than $6M in cap room.

Summation: After Baron's opt-out, anything is possible this summer. Really, anything. Good, bad, wild. Anything.

you would have to turn trade override on because he won't let you trade him. I traded him for Shawn Marion, then turned around and traded him for EltonBrand
pimp.gif

Based on that article, if Baron wants to get paid, he better work something out QUICK, whether it be to sign with the Warriors or work out a sign and trade. Orelse, his options diminish drastically.

off topic but has anyone heard Team USA coming to san jose or something?? Could have sworn I heard it on the news tonight...

Originally Posted by eternalist34

^not just the US ball team, every US olympian will be stayin at SJSU near late july.
eek.gif

HP Pavillion exhibitions FTW?

Hopefully.

Kobe, Bron, Kidd, Melo, D12, etc. all in person?!?!!?!?

dunno if you guys read this
[h1]Sources: Clippers pursuing Davis[/h1]
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 2 hours, 35 minutes ago
y_sports-hi.png

[h2]Printable View[/h2]Return to Original

• [h5][/h5] Buzz Up
  • [h5]Print[/h5]

More From Adrian Wojnarowski

The Los Angeles Clippers are making a hard run at signing free agent Baron Davis, multiple league sources said.

Within hours of the midnight deadline on Tuesday, the Golden State Warriors guard opted out of the $17.8 million owed him in the final season of his six-year contract. Davis could still re-sign with the Warriors, but the possibility of returning to his Southern California roots is most intriguing to him.

Davis' decision stunned the league late Monday.

"You just don't opt out of that kind of money," a dubious Eastern Conference general manager said.

Davis' career had been reborn under Don Nelson's small ball, but acrimony over a benching in the season's final game and the organization's reluctance to enter into long-term contract negotiations have strained relations between the Warriors and Davis. With a burgeoning movie production company and a love for Los Angeles, where he was a high school and UCLA star, the Clippers are a natural for Davis.

The possibility of bringing Davis to Los Angeles promises to be a major incentive in re-signing their own free agent, forward Elton Brand. The Clippers could have between $25 and $27 million a year to share between Brand and Davis, space that could help be cleared by renouncing Corey Maggette and Shaun Livingston.

Before Davis opted out, sources said the Clippers were prepared to make a lucrative long-term offer to Sacramento Kings point guard Beno Udrih. Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy is believed to be enamored with Udrih, who blossomed after leaving the long shadow of Tony Parker in San Antonio. Udrih is still a possibility, but clearly the chance to get Davis would elevate the Clippers back into Western Conference contention.

The Clippers also still have a brief window to make a run at Gilbert Arenas, but the Wizards were close to agreeing to a $100 million contract with Arenas, an Eastern Conference executive said early Tuesday. Once Washington re-signed forward Antawn Jamison for four years, and $50 million, Wizards officials believed that Arenas would honor his word and stay in Washington.

Brand and Maggette opted out of Clipper contracts on Monday, but Brand has expressed a strong desire to negotiate a new contract with the team. Finding a way to fit Davis, 29, into the franchise would make Brand - who left $16.4 million on the table with the opt-out - far more eager to stay with the Clips. Davis had one of his best seasons in the league, averaging 21.8 points and 7.6 assists without missing a game for the Warriors.

Orlando and New Orleans are possible destinations for Maggette, sources said. Maggette, who scored 22 points a game, has probably played his last game for the Clippers.

Gerald Wallace has fallen so far out of favor with Charlotte owner Michael Jordan that the Bobcats will look to move the forward this summer. …San Antonio is plotting a bid for Denver restricted free agent J.R. Smith. Brent Barry, who the Spurs nearly traded for Smith in 2006, also opted out of his contract and became an unrestricted free agent Monday. The Spurs hope to re-sign him along with Kurt Thomas, another of their veterans. …The Dallas Mavericks are expected to make a run at re-signing center DeSagana Diop, a league source said. The Mavs traded Diop to New Jersey in the Jason Kidd trade. The Mavs could be willing to use their entire mid-level exception to sign the 26 year old. …The Nets will likely use free agent Nenad Krstic in a sign-and-trade, but are determined to re-sign Bostjan Nachbar, a favorite of coach Lawrence Frank. …The Chicago Bulls have surrounded new coach Vinny Del Negro with three veteran assistants, including Bernie Bickerstaff and Del Harris, league sources said. Bob Ociepka will be the third assistant.

trade Harring-turtle + filler for Crash + JRich?
Mullin-- do it!

I really like Udrih... I think the Warriors should make a push for him. How much is he looking for this offseason? He's not asking for anything ridiculous,right?

as much as i want to see jrich back in the bay that's not happening. we're going to trade to take back jrich's contract that we tried to get rid ofin the first place? definitely not.

Baron for Kidd anybody? or..
Al+Baron+filler for Kidd, Nowizki, Bass

Kidd
Ellis
Jackson
Nowitzki
Biedrins

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by acidicality

Al+Baron+filler for Kidd, Nowizki, Bass

Kidd
Ellis
Jackson
Nowitzki
Biedrins

pimp.gif

stoneface

My friend asked me if the Lakers would do Odom + Filler for Baron in a sign-and-trade

What do you guys think?

I think that's realistic if we were to trade w/ the Lakers. I've heard Odom+Farmar for Baron on some other forums. Well, basically, any Warrior-Lakertrade w/ Baron would have to involve Odom, IMO.

we would have to sign baron to a $30,000,000 deal for that trade to work
laugh.gif
that's probably what baron wants
laugh.gif
. dude wants that MJmoney

Seriously though, Baron for Kidd I think I'd do..Cuban seems like the kind of person that might make that move, but I dunno.

I wouldn't mind Udrih...Watching him play out here in Sacramento impressed me he could be a servicable PG who can score and distribute.

Back
Top Bottom