OFFICIAL Ye fka "kanYe West" x G.O.O.D. Music Thread - ¥$ (AKA YE X TY DOLLA SIGN) - VULTURES (NOW AVAILABLE WOWWWW)

Kendrick winning that many was just to appease us and calm us down. We need to do our own thing. But seems like that wont happen soon. Black folk still wanna be accepted.
We technically have our own (read: BET Awards) but they've become the same kind of popularity contests that hold no honest merit
Kendrick had a major impact in hiphop with TPAB and it was represented, Future has had a major impact on hiphop with his various projects and i don't think he was even nominated for anything.

so while i don't agree that he should perform (there simply isn't enough spaces for every artist to do that)... i do think he should have gotten some recognition
I think more than having Future perform he was saying for the year Future has had for him not to be involve at all (be it performance or nomination) is a problem

Still can't get over how crappy this list it :lol: :lol:

You feel me. And people got the nerve to talk about what is "Grammy worthy" in Hip Hop :smh: :lol:.

That award show never understood hip hop. Luda out here winning best hip hop song for "Shake your money maker"....Eminem is the most decorated Grammy winner of all time when he's been washed since a decade...and Nas doesn't have one. They just nominate the safest, most popular artist or recognizable artist.... Regardless of quality of music. Then will throw in the popular conscious rapper at the time to add some credibility.

Gotta stop looking at that award show to validate this genre. I find it hilariously ironic that Kanye slams complex....but is always looking for validation from other outlets that know way less, or give the least fcks about Hip Hop.

Source awards gotta come back man. Wounds have been healed. It's time.

Agree with every bit of this, along with what illphillip illphillip and tay1 tay1 said. Come across something else which would explain why the Grammy's and other shows end up that way. It pretty much detailed the amount of black writers/journalists for all different music publications (Rolling Stone and Noisey are the only ones I can remember right now), and out of all the magazines listed (about 8 of them) there's less than 15 total blacks working there for huge companies like those. That's not the lone thing that keeps award shows in shambles like they are, but that's a major issue. Somebody mentioned they're just simply out of touch with the genre, which is ironic cause hip hop is all about being current and transcending. The majority of writers and people behind the scenes simply aren't hip hop folks. They're not in tune at all. A 7 year old could've picked those nominees they listed.

My mindset for a while has been **** the Grammys. Why keep begging people for acceptance that don't want you? Every few years the Grammy's will acknowledge what's real. They gave Kendrick the platform and he used it to put out a strong message. Same thing Beyonce did. But they still made him edit the "And we hate police" part in Alright. The Grammy's have shown us they really don't care about hip-hop or black culture. They'll throw us a bone every few years just keep things quiet. The Oscars are the same way.

Last edited:
Still can't get over how crappy this list it :lol: :lol:

You feel me. And people got the nerve to talk about what is "Grammy worthy" in Hip Hop :smh: :lol:.

That award show never understood hip hop. Luda out here winning best hip hop song for "Shake your money maker"....Eminem is the most decorated Grammy winner of all time when he's been washed since a decade...and Nas doesn't have one. They just nominate the safest, most popular artist or recognizable artist.... Regardless of quality of music. Then will throw in the popular conscious rapper at the time to add some credibility.

Gotta stop looking at that award show to validate this genre. I find it hilariously ironic that Kanye slams complex....but is always looking for validation from other outlets that know way less, or give the least fcks about Hip Hop.

Source awards gotta come back man. Wounds have been healed. It's time.

Agree with every bit of this, along with what illphillip illphillip and tay1 tay1 said. Come across something else which would explain why the Grammy's and other shows end up that way. It pretty much detailed the amount of black writers/journalists for all different music publications (Rolling Stone and Noisey are the only ones I can remember right now), and out of all the magazines listed (about 8 of them) there's less than 15 total blacks working there for huge companies like those. That's not the lone thing that keeps award shows in shambles like they are, but that's a major issue. Somebody mentioned they're just simply out of touch with the genre, which is ironic cause hip hop is all about being current and transcending. The majority of writers and people behind the scenes simply aren't hip hop folks. They're not in tune at all. A 7 year old could've picked those nominees they listed.

The Grammy committee isn't just writers from my understanding.

I know one dude who works in music publishing that's on the committee. Who publishes a guy with placements on Future albums.

And he's white :lol:

But I don't doubt that good representatives as a whole are lacking on that committee.

Truffle Butter was nominated for a Grammy for best rap song....

But March Madness has no place in the Grammys? :lol:

Last edited:
Truffle Butter was nominated for a Grammy for best rap song....

But March Madness has no place in the Grammys?
laugh.gif
THIS

That Dr Dre album & the Pink Print could have been left off for future... I listened to Dre's album a few times it was decent but overall i don't see many people mentioning anything about that album. Not to mention The pinkprint suffers from the same thing. Sure it sold well but what convo did it create, if you look back the past year that's not even a top 30 project.

If you turn on urban radio nothing but future, go to the clubs nothing but future, check online nothing but future.... basically what i'm saying is if you are any way in tune with hiphop culture there was no way you could escape future the past year.

Now as far as thug goes that ***** ye buggin, I literally just heard his single for the first time 2-3 weeks ago.

Glory as in the common song?...did people really mess with it like that or the song Selma..I thought that movie was hella watered down

Last edited:
I do not and did not watch the Grammy's this year minus the occasional commercial flip because I been known it's not for me.

But for those that did, is it odd for Kanye to be saying this now when the most talked about performance of the entire ceremony seems to have been Kendrick's?

Yep I noticed that too

Grammys overall trash but Kendrick represented this year

Wow, never had any idea MMLP2 or Shake Your Moneymaker won Grammy's :lol: :lol: i never paid close attention to them, but that list is worse than I thought :x

Back to Pablo, I've given it multiple spins and it just isn't that good. Pitchfork gave it a 9, and if Pablo is a 9 then MBDTF is a 109 :lol:

Even the weakest song IMO, So Appalled, is better than almost every track on Pablo except maybe Real Friends.

You can't look at me with a straight face and say that anything on this album remotely comes close to touching the composition, production, or lyrical content/delivery of damn near every song on MBDTF.

If I had to guess I would say Rhymefest is at least partially correct about Ye's mental state and probably played a much bigger hand in the quality of his music than I realized. Sure, people as crazy talented as he is can be in a bad state and still crap out something better than most of what's out there, and occasionally something great even. But as big of a fan as I've always been, I just can't force myself to feel this album. *shrug*

Wow, never had any idea MMLP2 or Shake Your Moneymaker won Grammy's
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
i never paid close attention to them, but that list is worse than I thought
sick.gif

Back to Pablo, I've given it multiple spins and it just isn't that good. Pitchfork gave it a 9, and if Pablo is a 9 then MBDTF is a 109
laugh.gif

Even the weakest song IMO, So Appalled, is better than almost every track on Pablo except maybe Real Friends.

You can't look at me with a straight face and say that anything on this album remotely comes close to touching the composition, production, or lyrical content/delivery of damn near every song on MBDTF.

If I had to guess I would say Rhymefest is at least partially correct about Ye's mental state and probably played a much bigger hand in the quality of his music than I realized. Sure, people as crazy talented as he is can be in a bad state and still crap out something better than most of what's out there, and occasionally something great even. But as big of a fan as I've always been, I just can't force myself to feel this album. *shrug*
'So Appalled' goes hard!

Actually I see there is a best rap song and a best rap performance. Have no idea what the difference is...but either way Nicki is arguably the third biggest artist in rap behind drake and Kanye so it shouldn't come as a surprise to see her nominated in anything

If and when future reaches that level...are y'all going to make the same arguments for artists that ARENT on that tier yet but had hit records? If we wanna discuss whether there should be a best mixtape or best trap category then that's more feasible than wondering why neither of them were nominated with artists that are internationally more popular than them.

At the end of the day...it always has been and always will be a popularity contest. One of which Kanye is a part off...so him crying for future and young thug doesn't make any sense.

My personal opinion is that these superlatives have always been wack anyway when music is subjective. So by design it has to be a popularity contest, unless they figure out a way to poll everyone on earth that listens to music

There is this misperception.....Particularly with hip hop and the Grammys....that the most ground breaking, impactful and quality music that's released during that time period are the only worthy ones of being nominated. And that couldn't be further from the truth when you look at it. That's why people are surprised by the list I posted. It doesn't go in line with what they believe the Grammys reward.

The Grammys are very lazy when it comes to hip hop. They just go with what's safe, and what they know. This is what Kanye means when he says..."It can't just be me and Jay in suits". Jay got nominated for "Kingdom Come". When you're established and at that level...the Grammys will reward you regardless of quality or impact. See Eminem actually WINNING AOTY 2 years ago. When you look at who is actually impacting hip hop right now...Future, Kendrick, Drake and Cole are the ones really moving.

Future dropped 2 Gold #1 Albums in a calendar year....as well as 3 critically acclaimed mixtapes....and was not even on the radar. The Grammys as it pertains to hip hop is really a shinier MTV awards. They're just out of touch.

Wow, never had any idea MMLP2 or Shake Your Moneymaker won Grammy's
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
i never paid close attention to them, but that list is worse than I thought
sick.gif

Back to Pablo, I've given it multiple spins and it just isn't that good. Pitchfork gave it a 9, and if Pablo is a 9 then MBDTF is a 109
laugh.gif

I could see Ultra Light Beam ending that album tbh

We technically have our own (read: BET Awards) but they've become the same kind of popularity contests that hold no honest merit

I think more than having Future perform he was saying for the year Future has had for him not to be involve at all (be it performance or nomination) is a problem
And we need to put more into the BET awards. Artists like Jay and Ye should be there instead of the Grammys.
Agree with every bit of this, along with what @illphillip and @tay1 said. Come across something else which would explain why the Grammy's and other shows end up that way. It pretty much detailed the amount of black writers/journalists for all different music publications (Rolling Stone and Noisey are the only ones I can remember right now), and out of all the magazines listed (about 8 of them) there's less than 15 total blacks working there for huge companies like those. That's not the lone thing that keeps award shows in shambles like they are, but that's a major issue. Somebody mentioned they're just simply out of touch with the genre, which is ironic cause hip hop is all about being current and transcending. The majority of writers and people behind the scenes simply aren't hip hop folks. They're not in tune at all. A 7 year old could've picked those nominees they listed.
Crazy thing is that it's not just hip hop they do this too. They've even done it to metal artists in the 80's. Like didn't Metallica finally just perform there like a year or two ago or something like that? 20 years after they were at the top? It's more than them being out of touch. They don't want certain voices heard.
The tidal subscriber drop off in mid-April is gonna be crazy.
That's expected, but suscribers will stay and that's a plus either way.

Last edited:
BET is still ran by Viacom so the final say is still coming from entities that don't really give a **** about your culture...which is at the root of the grammy's issue.

A solution to the oscars, Grammys, and whatever else we're begging for inclusion into...is to petition our artists, entertainers, entrepreneurs, etc. to start their own ****. Let's stop pretending that they can't or that there is some grand conspiracy to prevent them from doing so. Advertisers are going to follow wherever we as melanated people go. We are the heartbeat the world runs on.

Long story short...why are we begging for inclusion when we have the power to do what we want?
This is ultimately what's holding us back

Quote:

And we need to put more into the BET awards. Artists like Jay and Ye should be there instead of the Grammys.
Award shows always start out pure and end up siding with making more money by being popular instead of staying true. Another show would eventually disappoint 

I could see Ultra Light Beam ending that album tbh

Hm possibly. That is one of the few songs that actually builds towards something and goes somewhere; most of the tracks seem to kind of just happen and don't have any points of punctuation or emphasis.

For example, on "Lost In The World" @ 3:10 when the "whoa-OH-ohhs" go up higher and the drums kick back in while they sing "I'm lost in the wooorld," the whole song built up to that point. It's a minor switch up but I remember getting chills the first time I heard it, it was almost spiritual :lol:

FML has an opportunity for this kinda moment and instead of punctuating it the switch up just drones on and sounds discomforting (perhaps subverting the listener's expectation after the drums there is intentional given the overall mood/theme of the song, but it's still uncomfortable to listen to).

There are still good beats and elements on the album, but the songs just aren't crafted well and feel aimless and sloppy to me. His attention to detail with the little things has been a big part of what's made him as a producer/artist and that attention to detail seems lacking overall. Makes sense given his focus and time are spread much thinner nowadays but the album feels rushed.

Back
Top Bottom