Officially Retired from sneakers

I’ve been slowly selling off my pairs over the past 3 years as I have seen things a lot different from the pandemic. I don’t feel like I miss out on any releases as I have less time to wear them due to work schedule. A majority of releases have done nothing for me wanting a pair or two. I’ve done more productive things in my life as priorities change due to age and my view of the world going to crap. I’m not here to dissuade others who still want to get the shoes that release. I rather explore the world and see new things while making memories with my family than buy more shoes that sit in my closet at this moment.

Can the OP really say he’s done with sneakers if he still owns 70 pairs?

20 pairs or less…maybe.

But 70?

That’s like saying you’re giving up sex, but you’re still gonna masterbute.

Good for you, and I honestly don't blame you for how you feel, especially after that experience at Phenom. Not with JB in particular, but it's officially struck a chord with me that Nike just turned the Kobe line into a marketing-machine product now, and now it's pissed me off and I can't stand sneakers for this type of culture anymore.

For anybody looking for encouragement to move forward/sell off shoes, I made a thread that stemmed from the AM1 thread.

Curiously how long did it take to dwindle down your collection? I really wish I purged more during COVID with the shoes I’m never going to wear since the afternarket prices on most shoes have tanked now. Great for buyers but a terrible time for a selloff.
I sold off 300+ pairs to sole supremacy in 2013 to buy my dream car at the time which was a GT-R R35 and had no regrets. Still bought sneakers on the regular from 2013-2022 and amassed over 100+ pairs again and last septmeber sold off around 100 pairs to sole supremacy again to buy my current car and at the same time I just lost interest with sneakers and wanted another car to have fun with.

giphy.gif
No I don't think so unless a new model of sneaker comes out and blows my mind but I promise no retro excites me no more. Let the new generation get all the retros.

I see myself headed towards this direction myself. I sold a lot of shoes over the past year. After a certain point, it became less collecting and more hoarding for me. I don’t need multiple colorways of a collaboration and my favorite Jordan’s are 1s, 3s, 4s and 5s and i have those in the original colorways that i always wanted

Damn OP.

I was at the Arden mall for every release I bought from the Old Love New Love pack to the Concord 11’s that restarted this whole craze.

I’ve been falling off Jordan’s heavy lately as well, but NT will always be a place for me.
I was at that release also at Arden! I was a freshman in high when they dropped, That release actually went smooth.

Not gonna lie, that was sad to read.

I don’t think I’ll ever retire, but I care a lot less because of all the shenanigans that go on with sneakers these days. However, you never know, maybe I could retire some day. I just take it day by day.
I always had a passion for sneakers for the past 20+ years but now I just feel some type of way and can care less about them. It does not give me that excitement, that's is when I knew I am done. I just want the youngsters to enjoy it now because I had the best years of my life chasing sneakers with the homies.

Good for you, and I honestly don't blame you for how you feel, especially after that experience at Phenom. Not with JB in particular, but it's officially struck a chord with me that Nike just turned the Kobe line into a marketing-machine product now, and now it's pissed me off and I can't stand sneakers for this type of culture anymore.

For anybody looking for encouragement to move forward/sell off shoes, I made a thread that stemmed from the AM1 thread.
Nike is struggling bad right now because consumers are sick of what they're with flooding the market with so many releases. Now nike needs to make money somehow and that is off of Kobe. It's all about money :angry:

Not gonna lie, that was sad to read.

I don’t think I’ll ever retire, but I care a lot less because of all the shenanigans that go on with sneakers these days. However, you never know, maybe I could retire some day. I just take it day by day.
I said the SAME thing. Then I regrettably got married and had 1 planned kid then an oops kid lol

I was at that release also at Arden! I was a freshman in high when they dropped, That release actually went smooth.
That was around the age I was too :lol:

My boy called me as he was in line like “where you at I thought you said you wanted these” and I had my mom drive me all the way over there and drop me off.

Good times

40 here. Been buying/collecting since the mid 90s. Been having “a foot out the door” for a few years now.

Maybe just purchasing 2 pairs a year going forward.

I just don’t see myself being done ever. Nostalgia always gets me.

Last edited:
I got heavy into cars again last year so been keeping me busy. with that.
You’ll be back. I’m in my late 30’s now and been collecting on and off since ‘03. My other hobbies include cars and watches along with sneakers and it seems to be a cycle. I get bored of one hobby and then I get back into another.

So when you are getting bored of cars in the future you might find yourself buying more sneakers again.

This was me 2.5 years ago...don't argue with OP at all.

You get tired of the ****. I sold near 200 personal pair collections. Still have about 130 as of today. Selectively purchase 5-10 a year as opposed to 30+ per year before I sold the whole thing. It gets exhausting, and I don't need it. Outside of Retro 85 colorways, I have more than I'll ever need. It is easier than you think to clock out of the game at the intensity most of you do. Almost sell of a pair for each pair I may purchase these days.

I tried to "retire" several times from buying shoes. I dont need any of them. I just want them. Pretty simple. The cool thing for me is that all the shoes I am willing to still go after are non hyped OG colors. I will never stop going after those.

Hell, OG colors are the only pairs I ever wanted anyway.

If I could only have one jordan model, it would be the XI. My favorite Jordan for decades was the XIII, followed closely by the XI. But after finally getting some 95'/96' pairs, I can easily say the XI is my favorite. If I could only keep 5 pairs total, it would probably be this: 96' Playoff XI, 92' Playoff 7, 95' Shadow 10, the OG pair of the NYC Graffiti Lebron 4 and probably the OC Kobe 6.

In saying this, for me, what keeps me excited in this game is hunting older pairs and having diversity. I got into Kangaroos in 2021 and Saucony in 2022, and I wear other brands like Adidas, Reebok, Puma, etc. There is way more in the sneaker world than just Nike and Air Jordan. I'd probably get bored ****less if all I bought was that. For any guys here that are into runners, high quality and limited stuff, I highly encourage you to check out Kangaroos and Saucony. Sneep Crew too.

I sold off close to 80 pairs and retired in 2010 at age 34. Then StOCKX came about and I spun profits into new pairs the last 5-6 years. Nowadays with sales tax and reselling fees, even if you buy a pair at retail your are out $50-$60 just to sell back at retail. In the past, when you sat on pairs they became too valuable and too hard for me to Un DS. Price values are slow to go up now. If you sit on pairs, you will most likely lose money to get rid of them. So I still buy 3-4 pairs a year. Just have to make sure to wear them.

I'm already more judicious with my pickups.

Yesterday being a prime example. Palominos, Atmosphere Greys, Homer x Stans and Autry Medalists just sitting waiting for me and in months gone by, sure fire cops. They're all pairs I wanted from the outset.

Glad I exercised restraint. Passed on the Jordans and Stans, tried the Autrys on for size and came home to search for them cheaper online - will only be buying once a pair I've got up for sale, sells.

I don't think I'll ever be done with sneakers because I appreciate the value of a good silhouette to an appearance but as regards collecting for collecting's sake - that's not me, as I need to know where they're going to fit in my rotation and how/when/with what I'll use them.

400 is wild. I'm at 30 and don't really see myself going too much higher. I already feel like I'm too old for some of the silhouettes I own.

It's a watershed moment for me that I didn't come home with a pair. The Stans and Jordans were nailed on since I saw early pics.

I sold off close to 80 pairs and retired in 2010 at age 34. Then StOCKX came about and I spun profits into new pairs the last 5-6 years. Nowadays with sales tax and reselling fees, even if you buy a pair at retail your are out $50-$60 just to sell back at retail. In the past, when you sat on pairs they became too valuable and too hard for me to Un DS. Price values are slow to go up now. If you sit on pairs, you will most likely lose money to get rid of them. So I still buy 3-4 pairs a year. Just have to make sure to wear them.
Damn bruh…we’re about the same age.

Do you see yourself still wearing Jordans when you’re in your late 50s, 60s?

…it’s a question I’ve often asked myself.

Back
Top Bottom