[::OFFSEASON OVER. Lock Please.::]

Which New Laker Acquisition Will Shine The Most This Upcoming Season?

• Jordan Farmar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nick Young

• Chris Kaman

• Elias Harris

• Wesley Johnson

• Ryan Kelly

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
nash (farmar) / young (meeks) / kobe / gasol (kelly) / kaman (hill) ? dam we're actually pretty good
laugh.gif
i could work with that
pimp.gif

Gotta say, I'm thoroughly enjoying this offseason. Another piece or two & I'd be willing to wager we finish with a better record than last season.

At the very least, this will be fun. (Brilliant SI cover!)

^Will either player pass to each other is the real question? :lol

j/k nice offseason pickup lakers

Last edited:
Dwight Howard’s departure left Lakers fans wondering what the future of the Lakers would entail. With the Lakers signing one-year veteran minimum deals this offseason, it’s accurate to say that the Lakers are preparing for rebuilding mode in 2014. There’s one big problem. Would Kobe Bryant be willing to take a huge pay cut, possibly a one-year minimum salary worth $1.45 million, the ultimate financial sacrifice, to give the Lakers the best chance to rebuild?

Not so fast. Kobe bleeds purple and gold, but he’s also a very smart businessman.

“I’m not taking any at all – that’s the negotiation that you have to have.” Kobe Bryant told Lakers Nation in an exclusive interview at his Kobe Basketball Academy on Wednesday. “For me to sit here and say, ‘Oh yeah, I’m just going to take a huge pay cut. Nah, I’m going to try to get as much as I possibly can."

If you were hoping Kobe would think about taking a minimum salary in 2014, think again. Both Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett are examples of veterans who sacrificed more than half their salaries for their teams, but Kobe is a different breed – a financially savvy individual. Bryant also said the business side is always “strange” and “uncomfortable” for athletes, who find themselves in situations where they will get “backlashed, inevitably.”

Bryant though, isn’t afraid of the backlash, and he never has been. Both on and off the court, where others find themselves uncomfortable, Kobe thrives.

At the moment, Steve Nash is the only player on the books for the 2014-2015 season of rebuilding. A maximum salary for Bryant ($32 million) would not leave the Lakers with the necessary financial tools to truly rebuild, especially with potential free agents like LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony available in one year’s time.

Don’t count out the idea of Kobe taking a pay cut, just don’t expect it to be as big as you were hoping.

Lakers News: Kobe Bryant Not Planning To Take A Pay Cut In 2014 | Lakers Nation

i hope we get odom and keep peace and id be 95% happy lol no joke

Same here. A week ago the squad was laughable. But we have now gotten younger and quicker and have better bench scoring than last year. A healthy Hill is almost like another FA signing Regardless of what the team looked like I always look forward for the season. I'm a little more excited today because Mitch has put together a team worth watching.

Nick Young is definitely talented even though he's a knucklehead. When he's on a hot streak he makes some drop dead gorgeous shots that are hard to defend, but he'll also shoot you right out of a game. Pretty much a poor mans Kobe. Very frustrating player though as you will watch a couple games and wonder why he's not a 20ppg guy, then he'll go ghost the next 3 games. And he plays zero D.

He could be a great Irrational Confidence Guy off the bench, we didn't have anyone last year who could create their own shot in a pinch when Kobe was out. Hell, Steve Blake was that guy at the end of the year :lol

Last edited:
:smokin NIck Young will produce at least 15 points off the bench. And he does it for the vet minimum. Good job Mitch.

Kobe will give him unlimited PE purple kicks too :lol

If you listen to Stephen A. Smith, Lebron wants to join up with Carmelo. Whether it happens, no idea, but it does favor the Lakers.

Melo's side: Amar'e is set to make $23mil next year. But has a player option. He turns 32 next season. Bynum who has the same frequency of injury is 25 and couldn't even get $6mil guaranteed in a 2 year / $25mil deal. Amar'e will not decline $23mil because he'd be lucky to get himself a 4 year / $24mil deal in 2014. Also no team would make it fully guaranteed. Bargnani is a Overall #1 pick who is a bust. He is set to get $12mil but a player option.. He may opt out, but he's young enough that the same deal will be there in 2015, and it won't be near $12mil a year. Chandler is set to make $14mil.

Knicks could try to unload contracts.. BUT they have zero picks to trade which makes it impossible for a team to want to take on any of those expiring deals (like the GSW did.)

That's not including Smith, Felton, Shumpert, Prigeoni, Tim Hardaway Jr. all set to return at about $13mil combined.

Bargs, Chandler & Amar'e would equal $50mil next year.

Melo is walking, or staying on the Knicks.. But certainly no one big is joining.

Bron's side... Wade & Bosh both have 2 year options left on their contract.. Wade will not decline his option.. Nor do I see any way that Bosh declines his option. You also have Miller, Hasleem & Joel Anthony who have player options.. Heat have the amnesty clause, but can only use it on 1 person..

No one is trading for Bosh, and Heat don't have the balls to amnesty Wade.

Bron - $20.59 player option is 1/3 of the cap.
Wade will stay. You are now 2/3 of the way on the cap..

If they use the amnesty on Bosh.. Haslem, Miller & Anthony take up $15mil.. You now have $56 mil of $60mil cap covered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom