OG Sneakerheads vs Noobs

I wanted some information on how guys older in the sneaker culture feel about the new kids just getting into it.

I met some OG heads today while waiting for some raffles. All they did was complain about how the culture is so different and how kids/parents/media ruined the it. One quote was "if you don't have a shoe older than 3 years, you shouldn't be talking to me about sneakers".

I felt like I was listening to my parents talk about music. Is this how most OG heads feel here? I've only been into sneaks for 3 years, never had a lot of money growing up to be into the culture. But it's sad when I have to hear these "sneakerheads" talk like elitists hipsters.

Last edited:
I disagree with steezy.

There are different types of noobs. For a long time, I had more knowledge than I had kicks. I was enamored of nikes from the 80's and the 90's.

Last edited:
ogs buy sneakers at stores not online with twitter links and bots and gadgets. ugh I miss those days

Meh, OG , noob, doesn't really matter. We live in a world where you can google any info you want. The "real" OG's don't even buy shoes like that anymore. They just wear everything they already have

A noob to me is someone who wants a shoe but doesn't even appreciate the story and the history behind it.

I don't mind them either way. It seems that the new kids get on the old heads nerves because they're taking their spot in line, but to me that just proves they're getting them for the wrong reason. I'll buy some Powder X's because that color is a classic to me, and don't care if tons of teenagers are going after them. I don't like shoes because I want to impress that demographic, I buy them because I love them.

There's no reason older sneakerheads should try and tell kids these days they don't have the right to buy sneakers because they didn't see Mike fly in them.

Too many people that are older sneakerheads DO try to establish themselves at elitist and that's a cool title and all, but if everyone just helped share knowledge and speak truth it would be a better community overall. I've been around for a long time and developed my knowledge from people before me, so I gladly do the same to anyone willing to learn and appreciates the advice.

If you're just buying to fit in and want to match your SnapBack and don't care what we have to say, then deuces---I don't care about you.

It's always about quality over quantity for me. That goes for the people and the shoes.

Those "OG heads" are still waiting in line for raffles tho, after all these years.....

Should've been had a connect or two.

And this isn't a nod to the young'ns either. All I'm saying is if you still buying kicks after all these years and you pride yourself on knowledge and what not then you should be recognized as a relative regular at a spot or two around town.

What you encountered is some salty old men.

"OG" sneaker heads waiting in raffle lines are silly :lol:

30 year old dude talmbout how he has 01 Concords trying to impress 17 year olds as they have a fresh pair on from '11 and he's salty because his internet didn't allow him to get them :smh:

Those "OG heads" are still waiting in line for raffles tho, after all these years.....

And this isn't a nod to the young'ns either. All I'm saying is if you still buying kicks after all these years and you pride yourself on knowledge and what not then you should be recognized as a relative regular at a spot or two around town.

You can't expect someone to work at a Footlocker or Niketown for the rest of their lives, my man. It's a great college job, but eventually it's time to move up the ladder and get paid. There are several of those workers that used to help local NTers back in the days, but they went into their respective fields.

I try to buy what I like, and most are OG colorways so they are widely made. Even if I miss them, it's no biggy. I can wear sneakers just a couple times a week anway. The younger guys make it seem like it's a life or death situation, which can unfortunately has dire consequences.

There's no lines for raffles around my way since they're given throughout the day. I try to stop by during lunch if I can, but I wouldn't line up for sneakers anymore. Time becomes a valuable asset when you work a lot of hours.

A noob to me is someone who wants a shoe but doesn't even appreciate the story and the history behind it.

I don't mind them either way. It seems that the new kids get on the old heads nerves because they're taking their spot in line, but to me that just proves they're getting them for the wrong reason. I'll buy some Powder X's because that color is a classic to me, and don't care if tons of teenagers are going after them. I don't like shoes because I want to impress that demographic, I buy them because I love them.

There's no reason older sneakerheads should try and tell kids these days they don't have the right to buy sneakers because they didn't see Mike fly in them.

Too many people that are older sneakerheads DO try to establish themselves at elitist and that's a cool title and all, but if everyone just helped share knowledge and speak truth it would be a better community overall. I've been around for a long time and developed my knowledge from people before me, so I gladly do the same to anyone willing to learn and appreciates the advice.

If you're just buying to fit in and want to match your SnapBack and don't care what we have to say, then deuces---I don't care about you.

It's always about quality over quantity for me. That goes for the people and the shoes.
I agree with you, man.

Let the kids be. A lot of the "OG" dudes had the whole Gucci AF1s going like Jadakiss too in the early 2000s. That was the thing of that era. If the kids are born in the mid 90s, you can't expect them to fully comprehend the history of a particular shoe that came out before they were born. This is why I don't do the Lebrons, KDs, etc.

Last edited:

:nthat:

Right there is the truth.... I'm only 25, and never saw MJ, CB34, ect in their prime, or even at all... But I completely understand why certain shoes held the test of time whether its design, player, colors, statement it made, and usually all of the above... And for the record, I wear the **** outta the few sneakers I'm able to drop money on, so i have nothing dan near 3 years old... But I am a damn sneakerhead and proud of it...

This is exactly what I was thinking.

I don't know what's worse..... Teens camping for shoes too look cool for dudes, or old men camping for shoes to look cool for the teens lol

I don't know what's worse..... Teens camping for shoes too look cool for dudes, or old men camping for shoes to look cool for the teens lol

The old men are worse.

At least the teens are using their mothers money and trying to match their Y&R shirt to impress men and women. That 30 year old literally just wants to impress men. :lol:

Or he could be a rare breed and literally just want them. :nerd:

The old men are worse.

At least the teens are using their mothers money and trying to match their Y&R shirt to impress men and women. That 30 year old literally just wants to impress men. :lol:

Or he could be a rare breed and literally just want them. :nerd:
Clearly not the case because these old men in particular are already trying to impress the teen boys

Back
Top Bottom