OG Sneakerheads vs Noobs

And I wonder how the hell you build connects at Foot Locker and stuff. People come into my store all the time, chop it up and act all cool with me, then ask me to be their connect and I quickly shut them down. Not worth my job. I won't even be my friend's connect.

I will say this once again.

The difference about me (when I was a noob) and the new collectors from today, I started collecting sneakers to be different, they started collecting to be like everybody else.

Well put my man. I could never really articulate why the newest generation of collectors bother me but I think that about sums it up.

How exactly do you build a connect?...do you sweet talk a store owner, give him the puppy eyes...I've been buying kicks longer than some in here have probably been alive literally....but I never bother to hop on a boutique owners jock to build a connect....I'm i doing it wrong?
just make friends with the workers or "people who know people"

or even just become a regular and theyll start looking out for you cause your local

also alot of people dont work retail their whole life so some connects become gone

I just tell people "don't do it" when they ask me for advice on starting to collect.
DYsbE2K.gif

Well for one. We dont call ourselves sneaker heads. That name is disgusting.

It's not that serious IMO.

The build quality on retros is way down and the hype is too high for me to care anymore.

These days I'm way more into the tech side of the basketball stuff that's dropping. So many good hoops shoes out these days it's amazing.

As an OG head, I feel Nike should throw me (and all of the other OG heads) a bone for special releases.

WE are the ones that helped build the culture back at the beginning of the retro era in the early 2000s. WE bought every release back then. WE posted our collections on the sneaker boards. WE helped grow the culture by introducing new people to it.

How any times have I walked through the mall with some heat and broke the necks of hundreds of dudes? The very moment their neck snapped an urge to own sneakers started to grow inside them. How much revenue did I generate for Nike that day? What about the thousands that viewed our collection pics online and got sneaker boners and at the very moment gave up collecting comic books and wearing Osiris shoes and wanted to collect sneakers?

I don't want much. I don't want free shoes. I just want the marketing executives of Nike to reach out to me and give me the OPTION to purchase high demand shoes on release date. Because I know said execs are reading this from the comfort of their mansions that I in some capacity helped pay for.

:lol: not to mention, how would they even do it? Go through archives? Ain't nobody got time fah-dat. How do you prove it?

And "OG" is quite subjective.

And I wonder how the hell you build connects at Foot Locker and stuff. People come into my store all the time, chop it up and act all cool with me, then ask me to be their connect and I quickly shut them down. Not worth my job. I won't even be my friend's connect.
No offense, but you are just a sales associate - I wonder why would anyone think that you'll be a good connect!

Only Managers and up (DM and Owners).

-BREAK-

How many of you knew about all the 50%'s - Quick Strike - Turning in 5 pair of cooked kicks for 1 new one, etc .....

I think this starts separating the OG's w/connect from OG's from new school.

I walked out with about 12 DMP's on release date from 3 different stores without even making  a line (2 FootLockers and 1 Modells). my best and most gratifying score I would say.

Things have changed when it comes to sneakers now. It might not go back to the good ol days when it was all about going to your store, cop, and walk out.

Thanks to the concord release. It's pretty much a wrap.

I don't call myself an OG sneakerhead. I prefer "1st gen" (insert description) since it separates me from the foolishness and price gouging that's been going on since 2000.

I think that the difference is that most 1st gen buyers stopped a long time ago.

We have families now and don't have time to wait in store lines, nor in limited release virtual lines on the internet. Our careers don't allow us to wear sneakers everyday, so money is put into shoes and clothingthat can be used more than just once a week.
Most of the 1st geners that I'm still in contact with have bought the same shoe so many times over that there's not reason to waist money on it again.

I like that I can relive my childhood by seeing the youngs in these shoes, instead of spending my own money on 20 year old tech. These days it's Dress shoes, Dress Boots, and a simple pair of New Balance for the weekend.

Last edited:
Lol

Yo I swear I feel ancient when I hear raffles and twitter and social media to cop shoes.

I don't even understand what twitter is, never mind using it to actually purchase sneakers...

Anyway though from one stand point OG heads should have their collection and all their grails by now. Time to bow out foreal. I wanted the 1s sooo bad today and said I'm out after all it's a young mans game.

What kills me about these new shoe buyers is their only buying it for fashion. Strictly, fashion.

Meanwhile, I couldn't wait to rock the latest Jordan sneaker and retro's to ball with on court. We wanted to be just like Jordan lol. We wore the things he wore around the same time in attempt to be like him.

I put this on everything, me and my crew back than were 15, 16 years old buying sneakers to wear to our CYO and middle school basketball games because that's what these shoes were for? We'd wear them on the court, take them off after the game and wait until the next one to wear them again.

Strictly, for basketball purposes. Yeah, we'd occasionally wear them off the court and stunt but we caught so much attention from people in stands by wearing the latest Jordans at our games.

Hell, my very first picture of myself posted here on NT was in 2001 of me wearing my cool grey 11's playing ball. And I got clowned and flamed for my jeans (I wish someone could find that pic lol)

As time went by though, and I wasn't playing ball anymore or as much, I would wear certain models off-court for nostalgia or reminiscent reasons. It made a fashion statement by default though because they were aesthetically pleasing.

Of course though, this could've been different in your era or time of copping sneakers. But in 2000,2001, 2002 - I was buying shoes to hoop in. I wish these new sneaker buyers were in it for the same reasons; but that would be in a perfect world.

Lol

Yo I swear I feel ancient when I hear raffles and twitter and social media to cop shoes.

I don't even understand what twitter is, never mind using it to actually purchase sneakers...

Anyway though from one stand point OG heads should have their collection and all their grails by now. Time to bow out foreal. I wanted the 1s sooo bad today and said I'm out after all it's a young mans game.
lol .. Love the 1's but I still have so many DS kicks that it's not even worth it.

OL/NL still DS.

By far the best release this MONTH. Gamma's 11 and 12 pure garbo!

What kills me about these new shoe buyers is their only buying it for fashion. Strictly, fashion.

Meanwhile, I couldn't wait to rock the latest Jordan sneaker and retro's to ball with on court. We wanted to be just like Jordan lol. We wore the things he wore around the same time in attempt to be like him.

I put this on everything, me and my crew back than were 15, 16 years old buying sneakers to wear to our CYO and middle school basketball games because that's what these shoes were for? We'd wear them on the court, take them off after the game and wait until the next one to wear them again.

Strictly, for basketball purposes. Yeah, we'd occasionally wear them off the court and stunt but we caught so much attention from people in stands by wearing the latest Jordans at our games.

Hell, my very first picture of myself posted here on NT was in 2001 of me wearing my cool grey 11's playing ball. And I got clowned and flamed for my jeans (I wish someone could find that pic lol)

As time went by though, and I wasn't playing ball anymore or as much, I would wear certain models off-court for nostalgia or reminiscent reasons. It made a fashion statement by default though because they were aesthetically pleasing.

Of course though, this could've been different in your era or time of copping sneakers. But in 2000,2001, 2002 - I was buying shoes to hoop in. I wish these new sneaker buyers were in it for the same reasons; but that would be in a perfect world.
QFT .....

However, the RETRO's are stickly fashion kicks .... New balling kicks are LB, KD, Mambas etc .... yeah you old ... LOL

Before your generation of Jordan's and Barkleys and Pippen, etc, there where these ...

Calling out the OG's ......

Last edited:
when people buy the new kobes to wear with skinny jeans its a joke imo. theyre gym shoes to me, nothing more.

A lot of it has to do with customer service as well. I remember back in 06 or 07 I walked into the old niketown pdx asking about the Dmp release. Homey gave me this funny look like he was the CEO and stated that they didn't have it and hassled about it when I asked if he can check if any other spots did. I lost love for sneakers at that moment. Got the love back when the cg 11s came out but now everybody (even Craigslist sellers) act like that MF from niketown..
Superiority complex killed the game for me.

I'm so far gone from waiting in lines

If I can't get it online or it sells out before I can get to the store than it ain't for me

Yo the real truth is; did we really influence the younger cats??

I don't think we played any part in passing the game down. It sort of picked up for them through different avenues ... even the current rappers and the younger crowds direct influencers do not indulge in sneaker culture as much as ours did..

So do we really take credit? I think we played no part hence nike not givin a f

Back
Top Bottom