Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Originally Posted by Noskey

There's still at least one BIG sci-fi title out there. I'm sure it'll be gone soon, though.
2 pages later,

Originally Posted by Big J 33

I'm avoiding the risk and picking my sci-fi

Dark City - Sci-Fi
Great pick imo.

edit: It was between Dark City and Pi for my sci-fi pick.

Originally Posted by Noskey

There's still at least one BIG sci-fi title out there. I'm sure it'll be gone soon, though.
2 pages later,

Originally Posted by Big J 33

I'm avoiding the risk and picking my sci-fi

Dark City - Sci-Fi
Great pick imo.

edit: It was between Dark City and Pi for my sci-fi pick.

Dark City really doesn't have any resonance after multiple viewings. I remember seeing it ago a couple months ago and thinking, "it's alright." At this point in the draft, a solid pick for sci-fi though.
I'm shocked Being John Malkovich made it past the 3rd round, and was going to choose the Kaufman written flick next. It kept dropping and dropping and I guess I tested my luck 1 round too much.

Hopefully it'll be my turn once I get back from work...

Dark City really doesn't have any resonance after multiple viewings. I remember seeing it ago a couple months ago and thinking, "it's alright." At this point in the draft, a solid pick for sci-fi though.
I'm shocked Being John Malkovich made it past the 3rd round, and was going to choose the Kaufman written flick next. It kept dropping and dropping and I guess I tested my luck 1 round too much.

Hopefully it'll be my turn once I get back from work...

With Dark City, I think it's the weirdness of it. It's such a strange blend of genres. It's this pulp noir period piece, mixed with sci-fi horror. It's just the tone and the way all the characters blend together so well. It's a mood movie for sure. And yeah, it's pretty straightforward. When you it's over and everything's revealed, that's the sum of it. And yeah, the main character doesn't kill it, like he should, but it's the detail of the world around it. It's got this Tim Burton and Terry Gilliam charm to it, with less humor to it.
I get not seeing as much in it now. The last few years of effects finally made this a pretty 'old' movie.
ohwell.gif
I still think it's worthwhile. And then there's her...

With Dark City, I think it's the weirdness of it. It's such a strange blend of genres. It's this pulp noir period piece, mixed with sci-fi horror. It's just the tone and the way all the characters blend together so well. It's a mood movie for sure. And yeah, it's pretty straightforward. When you it's over and everything's revealed, that's the sum of it. And yeah, the main character doesn't kill it, like he should, but it's the detail of the world around it. It's got this Tim Burton and Terry Gilliam charm to it, with less humor to it.
I get not seeing as much in it now. The last few years of effects finally made this a pretty 'old' movie.
ohwell.gif
I still think it's worthwhile. And then there's her...

Damn, this draft has me bringing my laptop to work and checking the recent picks. 
ohwell.gif

If we have a 70's draft and I can be part of it, I suggest doing it in a chatroom and then posting the results in general for other NT'ers to vote on..

I guess now I know why my other co-workers are so hyped about fantasy (insert sport here).

Damn, this draft has me bringing my laptop to work and checking the recent picks. 
ohwell.gif

If we have a 70's draft and I can be part of it, I suggest doing it in a chatroom and then posting the results in general for other NT'ers to vote on..

I guess now I know why my other co-workers are so hyped about fantasy (insert sport here).

Why are you embarrassed to say you like Troy illmatic?

I absolutely love thought provoking films and films that test your emotions too, but going into this movie you kind of should have known what you were going to get, right? A movie about war, glory, egos, an absurd amount of blood shed, etc.

Why can't you like a bit from both classifications though? The mind-benders along with the ones where you kind of have to shut your brain off going in
laugh.gif

Why are you embarrassed to say you like Troy illmatic?

I absolutely love thought provoking films and films that test your emotions too, but going into this movie you kind of should have known what you were going to get, right? A movie about war, glory, egos, an absurd amount of blood shed, etc.

Why can't you like a bit from both classifications though? The mind-benders along with the ones where you kind of have to shut your brain off going in
laugh.gif

I LOVED Troy, thought it was excellent.  This was the first movie that made me start to pay attention to Eric Bana, I thought he was incredible as Hector.  I thought Pitt was solid, but next to Bana he looked like a mere mortal (forgive the pun) 

Agreed on Helen not being enough. 
ohwell.gif
  Helen is supposed to be a bombshell, not an average white girl. 
laugh.gif

I thought the scene where the King snuck into Achilles's tent was incredible.  Could you even imagine something that significant if it happened for real back then?  
eek.gif

I didn't expect it to be very good honestly, but left feeling quite surprised. 

In terms of movies I hate admitting to liking  (as Ill put it, the Devil Wears Prada category)  I personally call it the "watch with wife" category.  If you find a go to movie that the wife will want to watch over and over and you actually grow to like it, that's a problem. 
laugh.gif

My list would include, naturally, The Devil Wears Prada, Someone Like You (Judd, Jackman)  While You Were Sleeping (Bullock)  Closer (Roberts, Portman, Owen) Love Stinks (Small budget, Bill Bellamy and Tyra are the biggest names, that should tell you all you need to know) Erin Brockovich (Roberts) and Miss Congeniality  (Bullock again) 

There's no fiber in my being that should like those movies, but when the wife asks to watch a movie and suggests one of those, I agree to it without fail. 
frown.gif

If we finish this draft off in the next day or 2, I suggest the 2000's draft and get it started up asap.  We can see if all 12 want to remain or if anyone wants out, and we can add or subtract owners from there.  Could get that going by the end of the week, but let's finish off the 90's first before we start worrying about it.  70's and 80's would be too damn difficult imo.  I wouldn't be able to get 5-6 movies in without being tottally lost and guessing. 

I LOVED Troy, thought it was excellent.  This was the first movie that made me start to pay attention to Eric Bana, I thought he was incredible as Hector.  I thought Pitt was solid, but next to Bana he looked like a mere mortal (forgive the pun) 

Agreed on Helen not being enough. 
ohwell.gif
  Helen is supposed to be a bombshell, not an average white girl. 
laugh.gif

I thought the scene where the King snuck into Achilles's tent was incredible.  Could you even imagine something that significant if it happened for real back then?  
eek.gif

I didn't expect it to be very good honestly, but left feeling quite surprised. 

In terms of movies I hate admitting to liking  (as Ill put it, the Devil Wears Prada category)  I personally call it the "watch with wife" category.  If you find a go to movie that the wife will want to watch over and over and you actually grow to like it, that's a problem. 
laugh.gif

My list would include, naturally, The Devil Wears Prada, Someone Like You (Judd, Jackman)  While You Were Sleeping (Bullock)  Closer (Roberts, Portman, Owen) Love Stinks (Small budget, Bill Bellamy and Tyra are the biggest names, that should tell you all you need to know) Erin Brockovich (Roberts) and Miss Congeniality  (Bullock again) 

There's no fiber in my being that should like those movies, but when the wife asks to watch a movie and suggests one of those, I agree to it without fail. 
frown.gif

If we finish this draft off in the next day or 2, I suggest the 2000's draft and get it started up asap.  We can see if all 12 want to remain or if anyone wants out, and we can add or subtract owners from there.  Could get that going by the end of the week, but let's finish off the 90's first before we start worrying about it.  70's and 80's would be too damn difficult imo.  I wouldn't be able to get 5-6 movies in without being tottally lost and guessing. 

Sorry guys, crazy morning at school...

I hope this will play with everybody, I'm going unconventional...

When We Were Kings.. Sports.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

I've never sat through the entire thing, but that is the Ali/Foreman doc correct? I need to watch that soon. I'm back logged on films right now, but I definitely want to check that out.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

I've never sat through the entire thing, but that is the Ali/Foreman doc correct? I need to watch that soon. I'm back logged on films right now, but I definitely want to check that out.

6th Round Picks

Kool - Jackie Brown
JPZ - Scream
 Prime - Thunder Heart
Big J - [color= rgb(102, 102, 102)]Dark City[/color]
Venom - [color= rgb(102, 102, 102)]RUDY[/color]
CP - Rounders
 Dub - Being John Malkovich
Dirk -  When We Were Kings
MrONegative - He Got Game
JohnnyRed - Toy Story
Noskey -
 IllmaticSoul -

6th Round Picks

Kool - Jackie Brown
JPZ - Scream
 Prime - Thunder Heart
Big J - [color= rgb(102, 102, 102)]Dark City[/color]
Venom - [color= rgb(102, 102, 102)]RUDY[/color]
CP - Rounders
 Dub - Being John Malkovich
Dirk -  When We Were Kings
MrONegative - He Got Game
JohnnyRed - Toy Story
Noskey -
 IllmaticSoul -

Drama - The Professional
Crime - LA Confidential
Thriller - Se7en
Sci-Fi - Jurassic Park
Sports - When We Were Kings
Western - Dead Man

Tons of comedies left. Action is really, really flexible... Lots of stuff left that can fill out UTIL...

We'll get through this thing almost entirely before we can really debate whether or not a movie should/shouldn't be chosen.

Drama - The Professional
Crime - LA Confidential
Thriller - Se7en
Sci-Fi - Jurassic Park
Sports - When We Were Kings
Western - Dead Man

Tons of comedies left. Action is really, really flexible... Lots of stuff left that can fill out UTIL...

We'll get through this thing almost entirely before we can really debate whether or not a movie should/shouldn't be chosen.

JESUSSSS

Marlo from the wire makes a brief appearance in the movie that I didn't notice until recently.

Back
Top Bottom